[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Today was the first day that I am clean. Last night I came into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Screenshot-7_3_20092_27_45AM.jpg (90 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-7_3_20092_27_45AM.jpg
90 KB, 1024x768
Today was the first day that I am clean.

Last night I came into the weekly advice thread begging for help, the short of it is that I have been pretending I am a woman online for so long that it has done incredible damage to my own development, and I had invested so much of my self esteem and leaned on the attention and care I'd get as a female so much, that I had become dependent on it to be happy.

An anon gave me the advice to cut if off cold turkey, and I did so last night.

I've struggled all day, I feel like an addict who is having severe withdrawals. I haven't been able to eat, I haven't been able to sleep, my heart is pounding and I constantly feel like I am going to cry. The feeling of loss of all of my friends I had under my persona is almost unbearable.

I know I'm really fucked up, but I'm trying. Please, I need help. Please give me advice on how to cope with this feeling of loss. It is very hard to distract myself. I have been watching movies non-stop today, trying to keep talking with my friends and family casually, and it's working but I don't know how to deal with it when I am alone. I don't know how to keep myself from dwelling on it, from experiencing the loss again, from experiencing the regret.

Can anyone help me? Please.

Thank you very much for reading.
>>
File: truckin.jpg (131 KB, 1000x948) Image search: [Google]
truckin.jpg
131 KB, 1000x948
>>
You'll be fine.

Don't get caught up in the uncomfortable feelings it will throw at you, remember that you are in control. Tell yourself those feelings are just feelings and you are going through a phase to become a better person.

If you dwell on it it will harder for you, keep yourself busy with constructive things.
>>
>>16642039
I've been trying to get back in touch with the real me, fortunately I had another account for another game where I had made a character that was male, from an earlier attempt to reconnect with my real self online that had failed.

However I feel it here more than anywhere else, because I am now in this environment that I am so familiar with, but I have no friends, and I am alone. Fortunately it is not the same online game as the one I had come from, that one I uninstalled last night and destroyed everything of it on my computer.

I'm struggling though, the persona I created was VERY popular within the community, and they have been trying very hard to get my attention, but I have not responded. I know if I do, it will reignite the problem inside of me.

Can you give me any advice to deal with people trying to contact me? The guilt and loneliness is crippling. I couldn't sleep last night and I haven't slept all day and I should have been in bed 5 hours ago, but everytime I try to close my eyes I am overwhelmed by sadness.

Have you ever dealt with trying to ignore a terrible thought or memory? Is there some advice you can give me to help me sleep? I'm sorry if I'm talking in circles, but I feel better having said all of this out loud, since I cannot say it anywhere else.

God thank you for responding, you have no idea how much you have taken off my shoulders just for that
>>
>>16642062
Dealing with the people trying to contact you (rather, that persona), you have these options: Make a post about your character and your persona on a guild forum or a platform where you can reach others, or just simply one of the people trying to contact, telling people the truth and that you have quit.

This may at first sound horrifying for you to do, but if you do this it will take a huge burden off of your shoulders, and you would be telling the truth. Personally, this is the right way to go. Another option is to just wait it out, and although this may sound easier to do at first, this is the option that will keep you from sleeping, and it will keep reminding you of your past as people will keep picking and prodding for a while.

Secondly, as I've said yesterday, busy yourself with real life rather than playing online games. Simply just go outside and take a walk, even if you are in Alaska, go visit a coffee shop or eat outside. I don't mean that you should try to avoid your situation and run from it, but rather see what else is out there. Try not to play games that remind you of your past doings, atleast until a week or so has passed. And make that forum post.
>>
>>16642085
I will take your advice about going outside, but I cannot make that forum post. There are reasons, but I may actually face much more realworld trouble, and it may ruin me. It is far too risky to do this, far worse has been done to those who have done far less. it is simply a risk that I cannot take. I may however get the nerve to tell a certain person. I tried to do this earlier but he was not online.

I've also thought about joining a men's group of some kind in my city, I feel that being around other men and just talking to them will help me put my head on straight.

Thank you for replying again based advice anon, yesterday I was a complete hurricane of of a broken man, but after just that short spurt of advice I felt like a new sun had risen inside of me

And this has helped even further, I just need to resist the urge to check my old emails. I have a plan to regain my anonymity in the one online game, but it won't be something I can do for some time, due to it costing real money.

However the plan is in place. I just need to abstain, keep from dwelling on it, and keep myself busy. Perhaps now I finally understand how men are known to lose themselves in their jobs. Perhaps this is another option that I should consider.
>>
>>16642140
Stay strong, Godspeed.
>>
>>16642149
Thank you anon, I will steel myself anew, and I had this revelation:

If this broke me...then it is my choice how I will put myself back together. Perhaps this was a blessing, a way to give me a second chance to make a new me, a better me, the man I want to be.

Thank you anon, and thank you /adv/, you've saved my life, and saved my soul.
>>
>>16642164
Don't forget to thank God, it's very peculiar that I see your thread on the first page for the short while I check /adv/ on.
>>
>>16642166
I am not a religious man, and it has been not since I was a child that I have said a real prayer, but I will do so tonight after a hot shower to wash the dread from myself.

Regardless if I believe or not, I'd rather thank no one than refuse to thank Him when he's given me this second chance, and he's brought you to help me once again, my friend.

Thank you, and thank you Father in heaven, for this blessing of reunion in the most unlikely of circumstances, and for giving you son a second chance.
>>
>>16642191
Amen.
>>
>>16642062
>Can you give me any advice to deal with people trying to contact me?
Embrace them, figuratively if not literally. You have probably not lost nearly as many friends as you think you have: some, perhaps, but not all, and probably not even most.

I say this as someone who mentored a G.I.R.L. through an RPG once. I played along with the ruse until he was ready to explain to the wider community, and "she" gained a lot of respect among the player base during that time. When he was ready and the truth came out, he lost very little of that. I do not think you will lose much either.
>>
>>16642202
Trust me, this will not be the case. I've seen this same community absolutely wreck others for far less than what I've done, and what I did was considerably worse. If I went public with the truth, it would have real world consequences for me.

I'd become quite a target. Thank you for your good advice, because it is sound advice, and it's what I'd like to do, but this community is far too ruthless to let even a minor slight go by without reprisal. A real slight, let alone a major one as what I have done, would be dealt with quite harshly. It just isn't an option.
>>
>>16642219
>Trust me, this will not be the case. I've seen this same community absolutely wreck others for far less than what I've done, and what I did was considerably worse.
What did these other people do, and why do you think that what you've done will be considered even worse?
>>
Aaw man, I've been putting off watching movies. Imma do that now.

You, go find physical hobbies.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.