[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Girlfriend's Dad Hates Me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 1449955296891.gif (39 KB, 405x429) Image search: [Google]
1449955296891.gif
39 KB, 405x429
My girlfriend and I have been dating for just over a year. About 2 months into our relationship I met her dad. Her parents got divorced when she was really young, her dad never showed up to court to attempt to get custody, so her mom moved about 8 hours away.

From ages 7-14 he never came to visit her, but occasionally her mom would bring her back over the summer to visit.

At age 15 her mom re-married and moved back to the city where she was born, and the city where I currently live. A few years later we meet and start dating.

Despite all this she told me how much she loves her dad, how he is one of her best friends, how he is so important to her and on and on.

So fast forward to the meeting, I go to his house for dinner.

>making sloppy Joe for dinner
>he lives with his GF of a few months and her two daughters
>Try to engage everyone in conversation at dinner
>GF is being friendly make small talk
>one daughter is kinda shy
>other daughter sits right next to me and starts harassing me
>I play along thinking she is 6 or 7 years old
>she asks me to guess who old she is
>I say 7
>turns out she is 12 and her nickname is Tater
>Tater is pretty chill we keep up the bantz
>I try talking to her dad and everything I say he just says "yea" or "okay"
>whatever fuck it.jpg
>keep joking with tater
>she throws a tater tot at me
>jokingly call her stupid
>leave

..contd
>>
Dont really need to read the entire story OP, sounds like you think that she holds her dad in such high regard, and you look at him like a piece of shit...youre afraid hes going to start fucking with your relationship?
>>
>>16636397
Tater sounds charming, wait 6 years.
>>
File: 1449959900152.gif (73 KB, 611x648) Image search: [Google]
1449959900152.gif
73 KB, 611x648
I ask her how she thinks it went. She says she thinks it went okay. Over the next few months I occasionally see her dad, and I always try to strike up a conversation with him and he still gives me the cold shoulder.

Eventually my girlfriend tells me that her dad thinks I'm an asshole, even though I've always been cordial with him in person.

One day I'm looking through her phone and read her conversation with her dad. He's been calling me a fag, a bitch, a loser, and a douche behind my back. I ask my girlfriend about it and she says that she doesn't know why he thinks that either. I tell her I want to confront him about it, but she asks me to let it go so I do.

A few months later my girlfriend is at her dad's house again telling me that her dad is throwing his dog around and kicking it because it stole some food off the counter. I'm not a huge animal lover, but I think you should respect all creatures. After she leaves I call her dad and tell him that what he did is a pretty fucking sad, especially considering he did it in bunch of kids. I tell him that if I hear about him doing something like that again I won't hesitate to report him. On the phone he is respectful and just says okay, and asks me what I would have done differently. I just tell him that I wouldn't lose my shit and attack a dog in front of my kids. He says okay and hangs up.

A few weeks later he buys my girlfriend a car and says she can have it, but only if she breaks up with me. After a week of pressuring her and causing her all kinds of emotional hell and crying every night she refuses to break up with me so he gives her the car saying "lol only pretending"
>>
Just have a 3 way between you her and her dad
>>
He sounds like a real-deal lifelong loser. Guys like this tend to be very competitive and insecure around functional, normal men. He sees you as a threat. He knows that if you stick around, you'll make him look bad by comparison, and his kids will eventually realize that not all men are losers like their father. And he'll lose the respect and love of his kids.

So rather than taking this as a wake-up call and pulling his shit together, he'd rather push you out. And he can just keep his kids hostage in loser-land where they don't even know it isn't supposed to be like this.
>>
File: 1451794790304.jpg (206 KB, 1280x848) Image search: [Google]
1451794790304.jpg
206 KB, 1280x848
>>16636434
So anyway just to finish painting the picture of this guy.

>he is 43
>makes about $30,000 a year working third shift at a loading dock
>ex smoker
>now a vape-faggot
>daily drives a jeep that gets 10mpg to work 40 miles away
>has never had his own place, has always moved in with his girlfriend
>overweight
>hates his job

But somehow my girlfriend blames me for the relationship between her dad and me going bad. Every time we get into a fight she always brings up how it hurts her that her dad and I don't get along, and she expects me to make amends with her father.

I've tried telling her that even if I felt that I was in the wrong I don't see how apologizing to someone who never liked me in the first place.

Is there any way to be cordial with this faggot? Or is there anyway that I can make my girlfriend see how much a piece of shit he is?
>>
>>16636434
He sounds immature...plus youre trying to fuck his little girl.
>>
>>16636428
I think it's pretty funny that you mentioned this. You correctly guessed his reason, though it's fair to say he believes it because it has already happened. There's no saying that OP thought this beforehand, but we have established it as correct.
>>
>>16636456
That's almost exactly what I was thinking. I hate to blow my own horn, but my girlfriend was so excited about me when she described me to him she said

>has internship for STEM job at top-tier facility
>29 on ACT
>bi-lingual
>bought car with own money he saved in high school

Not trying to flex my e-stats, but compared to this guy I really have my life together

So in that first interaction he did seem almost embarrassed and was acting kind of like how a fat chick acts toward a hot girl. Just real catty and nose-turned-up

>>16636431
c'mon now
>>16636428
Basically already has happened. He pretty much has cooled down on the shit talking, but my GF still hates the fact that we don't get along.
>>
bedtime bump
>>
>>16636646

You're going to have to confront him, one-on-one, if this relationship is gonna have a chance. If he keeps trying to undermine you, your GF will eventually take his side.

Keep your cool, but don't be overly polite or act like a pussy. The focus shouldn't be "be nice to me," but rather "stop fucking with your daughter's life, I'm good for her and you're sabotaging her happiness with this shit."

If it backfires, if he doesn't come around, then you'll need to try to get your girlfriend to see that her dad is kind of a loser, and he's talking shit about you because he's insecure. But this should be considered a very last resort, because unless you handle it like a fucking magician, it will probably fail, and she'll turn against you and side with her father.
>>
I'm just going to throw this out there that I really don't think your gf is mature enough to figure out that her dad is shit. You're probably digging way under your league unless you're fat too. This string of daddy issues is the most problematic.
>Dad had no responsibility raising her at all and nobody ever told her till she arrived on his doorstep and thinks he makes kraft and cut up hot dogs just the right way.
In the long run, she really won't be persuaded easily and resist all influence to grow as an adult.
>>
Sounds like he hates the fact now that he's more involved in his daughter's life that some other guy is taking care of her and better than he could ever take care of her.

You need to get your gf to realize that he's acting very immature and causing the problems not you. I'd say talk to him and make him realize what's he's doing is actually hurting his daughter, but let's be realistic he won't hear any of it if it comes from you. He'll only listen if it comes from her. If you talk to him about it he'll view it as some guy teaching him how to be a parent and he'll probably try even harder to cause your gf to break up with you.
>>
>>16636462
Took you long enough to get to the fucking point, dude.

You're already cordial with him. Keep it up. He insults you to his daughter, and his daughter clearly isn't listening to that shit. So it doesn't matter.

Conversely, you don't have to convince her he's a piece of shit. She's clearly somewhat aware of that, but it's her father.

What is your actual problem here? You don't like him? Big fuckin' deal.
>>
>>16636481
Your GF is probably really stressed out having to choose between her father and you. Is there any way you can make it easier on her personally?
>>
>>16636397
how old are both of you
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.