[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
incompatible friends
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
Have you ever broken friendships because of friends doing things that annoy the living shit out of you?
>>
>>16634493

Yes. I should do it more frequently. The rule is - don't quit being friends with people during hard times. I.e. if their gf just dumped them, and their parents kicked them out of the house and they lost their job, you owe them to stick with them for a reasonable amount of time. If everything is going well for them, feel free to end it. Lots of things change.
>>
>>16634520
Truth of the matter is - I am not sure if I am being reasonable or just being a cunt because people have lately commented on how I can be a bit short-tempered and a dick to people that I dislike.

Friend at question is constantly late when meeting up. Typically 15 minutes, more often way more. Couple of times in the past few months he completely failed not to just show up but to even text me because he somehow falls asleep. Numerous "bigger" plans that I tried to set up with him fell through (going out of town to concerts, going on trips, stuff like that) because he always cancels at the last minute for various reasons. It's hard talking to him because all music that he likes is because of me introducing him to it. He doesn't watch movies, his pop culture knowledge is non existant. He is a good looking guy and he is smart, but he never wants to approach women with me. And when I do it and bring girls to the two of us he always fucks it up by not making his move depsite girls being a sure thing. He is never up for drinking (this is obviously understandable but I'm trying to paint the picture as precise as possible). And the few times that he actually partied up with girls and has gotten shitfaced is when I wasn't around, which really made me fucking mad.

I'm not the one calling him, he always messages me for going out. So after him falling asleep last weekend I told him something akin of "listen, you have no understanding and respect of other people's free time, you are always late or you never show up, I think its better to just not hang out any more". He replied with me something about "that one time that I was late and he was understandable about it". Blocked his number after that.
>>
>>16634564
2/2

I'm mad because I doubt every decision and everything, but some mutual friends are trying to convince me to not go this way about everything. It's a matter of principle, but even more - a matter of me not wanting to go out and be stressed out and in shit mood because of people always being late and not wanting to do anything.
>>
jup gotta say he sounds fucking boring.
he's holding you back because I think you want to meet girls etc..
I've been there where my friends where holding me back on a lot of things and I just wasn't satisfied with how things where (not) going (for me). but I stayed friends with them untill I got new (big groep of) friends, and my friends are absolutely fantastic I've been having soooo much fun with them.
>"and we're all such good friends because we choose eachother"
>and that's the whole fucking deal about friendship amir?
>>
>>16634564

It sounds like you're being a little overdramatic to me... it doesn't have to be an "all or nothing" situation. What do you gain from burning this bridge? There's nothing wrong with making alternative plans, but saying to someone "I'm going to stop being your friend" over trivial issues like this just reeks of immaturity to me. One day down the line the guy might fix his issues that you've noted and suddenly be a great person to hang out with, but you'll have told him off and won't be someone he wants to hang with.

And for what? Because he's late sometimes? He's bad with girls? That's silly. If he had done something actually bad to you, I'd get it, but yeah.
>>
Yep
>>
>>16634564

You still sound very young which explains this situation. Yeah for now you're probably feeling the setback... but just wait until you're in your 30s when all that shit you just listed won't even matter anymore, that drive to pursue things to that degree will subside... and then you might consider that your friend might be worth sticking around for the future.
>>
>>16634792
>>16634758
I'm 24. Things that I described are just the common examples that I figured people could relate to. Also, not "sometimes" late, but always late. I didn't tell him I hate him, I just told him that it's best not to hang out anymore. I somehow figured that that is better than to 10 times in a row tell him "sorry I got other plans" when he asks me to go somewhere. Plus its a small town and he is bound to bump into me here or there. I dont know, I just like to be honest with people.

Honestly, when I get to 30 and if people are still being so inconsiderate and immature about responsibilities, I dont know if I will be able to tolerate it. I don't like hanging out with someone just because I dont have anyone better to hang out instead, and I wouldn't like others to do that to me.

It's a kind of hard situation to explain without steering it too much into one way or another.
>>
>>16634893

I see what you're saying, but I have a friend who is pretty much always late, but he's also my best friend. The other stuff makes up for it.

And, it being a small town makes it even worse - you're going to be the guy who threw a fit at his "friend" for some really minor things and then went so far as to block him. You're acting like a little girl.

Just my two cents.
>>
>>16634943
Fair enough, that's why I made the thread to begin with, I want to hear how people interpret this. Thanks.
>>
>>16634493
Yes.
>>
>>16634564
>he never wants to approach women with me
maybe he's gay?

I know how annoying it can be when friends always cancel at last minute. If he started to behave like that recently then maybe you should talk to him about that.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.