[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My mother bought me this for Christmas. Since atm it's just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 20151231_233036.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
20151231_233036.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1536
My mother bought me this for Christmas. Since atm it's just standing there taking powder might as well begin to play it. I'm too poor and not interested enough for piano lessons tho so imma learn by myself. Got some advice for a beginner? Like, how am i supposed to position my hands, easy songs to learn and yadda yadda yadda
>>
>>16627059
Go youtube.
>>
I taught myself from when I was 6, never formally trained, and I'm a damn site better than most I've heard

Pick your favorite song that doesn't sound too complicated. If you like EDM, especially techno, you're in luck because they're stupid simple and easy to learn.

Listen to that song on youtube. Then, try and piece together part of the melody on the keyboard.
Keep doing this.
It sounds like shit because you're only using one finger. Now you gotta use two. Then more, and more.

Eventually you'll notice some reoccurring concepts, pressing certain keys in a certain order makes a chord progression
Some chords sound dark, others sound happy, etc etc.

TL;DR: Piece together the simplest songs you like using one finger, then two, then both hands. Learn to separate the bass (Left hand) from the treble (right hand)
keep playing

I've been doing this for 12 years so it's hard for me to describe just how I learned, but this is the basics of what I did.

I'll explain the best I can if you have any questions
>>
>>16627059
I also learned it by myself. Look on Youtube for Songs you like and add "midi" to your search.
If you´re lucky you might be able to connect the keyboard to your pc/laptop. Then you can use Symphonica. That´s the program this videos are made but it´s mainly used to learn songs without knowing the sheet music, notes, etc.
>>
>>16627120
This is really good advice, thanks.

I'm not OP but I have a question, should I buy an 88 key digital piano or a smaller one to start off with?
>>
>>16627323
Smaller one
>>
>>16627323
88 key is hella expensive. I have the 235 from yamaha which was $250 out the door and it has 76 keys. Im self taught as well; learned how to play simple melodies and chords and went from there.
>>
>>16627059
>Got some advice for a beginner?

Pick a song you like and try to play your own version on piano by ear. Don't worry about stuff like hand positions too much. Just go with what's comfortable and it will become second nature over time.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.