[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Career change?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: lake.jpg (165 KB, 427x640) Image search: [Google]
lake.jpg
165 KB, 427x640
I'm a pharmacist in Australia. Managed to find a job despite the fact that the job market is saturated. What I love is teaching though. I took part in teaching voluntary programs during summer and I really enjoyed them, and I find teaching much more rewarding than my current job as a pharmacist.
Is a career change (i.e. becoming a high school teacher) worth it?

My parents taught for their careers, and they think that it is ridiculous how I am thinking of this career change.

Another question: I have citizenship in another country. I am interested in working there (stayed there in the past and love it). Is it better for me to get a teaching degree there so that I can do a bit of networking there? I want to teach there and see what life is like in a different country. It will be expensive though and means that I have to drop everything.
>>
You're probably young. Do it. It'll be eye-opening, and even better if you don't like it you will always have pharmacy to fall back on. Save money, change jobs. I had a teacher who was a former lawyer because she wasn't into lawyering anymore. People change careers all the time. What's the other country, wrt education credentials?
>>
>>16625215
The other country is the states.
>>
I'm not sure whether it would necessarily apply to you, but look into Teach for Australia, they visited my
university a few months ago trying to find talented students. They take recent graduates and current
students, so I don't know whether you fit the bill, but they certainly want passion.

>http://www.teachforaustralia.org/

Other than that, you could go for a masters of education or equivalent given that you are already a post grad.

As for "Is it worth it?", well that is certainly a hard question Anon. Only you can answer that, for better or
worse. Perhaps start with "Why am I a pharmacist?", then "Do I enjoy what I do?", and maybe "How much
do I care about job security and the time/effort I spent getting to where I am?"
Because teaching in Australia is somewhat saturated depending on your area of expertise.

In terms of teaching overseas, I can't really help you.
>>
>>16625227
Is teaching Chemistry at high school level saturated in Australia? I've heard it is not.
>>
So ... you're taking the piss, right?

For the unaware, there's a troll thread that's been popping up literally every few days lately, something like "Why would somebody leave a high-paying career like pharmacy for teaching?" Supposedly some woman bitching about her husband. This reads like a flipped version of that.

If it's just a coincidence, my bad, OP.
>>
>>16625300
Well I am not trolling here. I guess it is a coincidence.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.