[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My crackhead parents are disowning me and are kicking me out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 345df2.jpg (124 KB, 1300x992) Image search: [Google]
345df2.jpg
124 KB, 1300x992
My crackhead parents are disowning me and are kicking me out at the end of January. Never had a job, dropped out of school, no skills, and no friends/contacts to help me out. No car, but about $20k in the bank from when my grandpa died. Living on the streets is not an option.

What's the best way to start my new life?
>>
Good luck buddy
>>
>>16623494
Doing crack. Maybe you can become a dealer and sell to your parents. Like father like son. A family that hits the rock together stays together!
>>
>>16623494

I live in los angeles off of 1300 a month.
thats 15600 a year.

considering moving costs (furniture and deposits and such) you should have no problem finding a place and living for a year if its not somewhere stupid like new york.

with that in mind, start applying for jobs IMMEDIATELY. you dont have to figure out your life so fast, but having cash coming into help pay the bills while you figure out your next step is ideal.

go to craigslist and apply for each and every entry level job you can, even if it sucks. then go around town (a mall if you have it) and look at every single store and see who is hiring. inquire within. a lot of the time they might say 'no, were not hiring, but i hear the guy across the street is'

call centers and retail have the highest turn over, which means they are the easiest to get a job in.

even ask random people you strike up conversations with. go on facebook and talk to each person individually about who is hiring. doesnt matter if ur not friends anymore or dont really know em well. strike up a convo and ask. same goes for everyone on your phone.

DO IT. someone will say 'oh hey i heard this place is hiring' or even give you a recommendation
>>
>>16623521

now, resume,

everyone lies on your resume. so you have to lie on your resume. its the only way. dont feel guilty. just do it.

for example, i once did two hours of community service as a bus boy for my school fundraiser.

but my resume says that was 4 months as a seasonal worker at a charity dinner catering company. and instead of bus boy, i was a server.

i once was asked to move furniture inside of a friends office. that became three month internship in their tech team.

you are entry level so most places dont bother to check the people you list, but just in case put down a trusted family member or friend. i have literally never had anyone call my contacts on those lists though.

be confident, fake it, and someone will buy it.
>>
>>16623521
LA is not really the place to go to unless you're an artist, even less when you're getting kicked out of your home.

I'd suggest you invest in the future, either by taking some courses to learn a trade or improve a skill, or by starting a business.
If you choose to fund a company you might get away with living in the back room of the place where you run your business.

Hell, the world is yours to conquer: You can go ahead and enroll in the army OR you can go to Europe or South-East Asia and try to find a new beginning, or anywhere you want. Even better: You can go abroad as a volunteer and be hosted for free.
>>
>>16623616

to clarify, i was not suggesting OP move to los angeles. its just known for being on the more expensive side of living, so by plugging in my monthly living expenses (1300) we can assume that OP will spend no more than that as well (Again, unless he moves somewhere crazy like new york).
>>
>>16623623
I understood that right from the start, I was just trying to point out that it might not be a top pick.
I'd even recommend OP to move to a developing country and fund a company there. You'd pay so much less in terms of rent and salaries, not to mention resources and services.
20k USD can pay your rent for a whole year in US, but might as well pay 5 years worth of rent, food, gas, water & electricity in a poorer country.

You've got capital, OP, so it's time for you to make the best out of it. Pick a place and an occupation and plan your life for the next 2 years, even write a business plan.

If you ever find yourself in need of advice go see one of your ex teachers at school or maybe even go to church and ask the priest for advice. I'm suggesting this because you might find out something you didn't know; for example, I befriended a Christian priest who also happens to be a good business man and I can go to him if I ever need advice, even if I'm a pagan and he's completely aware of that. It's their job to help.
>>
>>16623623
>Wanting OP to move to Los Angeles

OP don't go to a city for shit like this, find the most rural rinkity-dink town and do some generic carpentry/mechanical work and simply use the small town word of mouth and hospitality that Southerners provide. Rent in small towns that I've lived in for a tiny but not disgusting apartment would be ~$400 - $600, utilities inclusive around $650 - $750 and that is only considering the NICEST places around for rent. Try and pick a small community college town as those will have the most options for you to work your way into comfortable living. Morehead, Kentucky is one example that I can think of off of the top of my head. You'll be able to find a qt small town girl and live the nice life away from all that shit (except meth. Small towns always have meth and pot. Stay away from the methheads and you'll be fine though)

If you want some better career prospects, I would rec enlisting in the United States Air Force or Navy as they're tough but not as high risk as Army/Marines and treated with a lot better amenities...and nobody cares about Coast Guard.

Or, try a job corps program if you're young enough and have access to a local library. Try internships and especially attempt to get things that'll look good on your resume.

Good luck. Again, please do not go to a city. They might have more job opportunities however when the going gets tough, you're just another loser on the streets. In the South, everyone takes care of each other because that's what Jesus would do. Literally just hang around a church and share your life story and talk about how you need guidance and that you're willing to work and have savings but your family set up such an unstable path for you that you can't see the light and blah blah, you'll have tons of wealthy Southern church families helping feed, house and even offer you employment prospects. Plus tons of qt church girls.

Small towns are way better at starting over than big cities.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.