[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm having bad nightmares every night. How to stop? >used
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 54303473_p0.jpg (635 KB, 945x1890) Image search: [Google]
54303473_p0.jpg
635 KB, 945x1890
I'm having bad nightmares every night. How to stop?

>used to have good sex-filled dreams, but about 1/5 dreams were always bad
>past 3 weeks, every single night has been a nightmare
>usually getting killed or horrifically injured
>so realistic that I wake up and feel my body for injuries
>extremely graphic and realistic gore, I can't emphasize enough how realistic it is
>often get killed or kill other people, very vivid

"One technique that's increasingly being used is "imagery rehearsal treatment" where individuals are encouraged to alter the endings of their nightmares while they're awake."

I already have been doing the above (it was always my natural reaction to do that), but it hasn't helped.

There are two possible causes: one is stress (college senior, no job lined up, job and money stress) which I could help by getting my shit together and securing a job, which I'm already working on. But that'll take a while and may never really be resolved, rat race etc.

Otherwise I have a habit of constant and highly involved daydreaming, usually involving fighting scenarios. (Sword and magic, you know the deal.) All day every day and before I go to bed for about an hour, after which I usually masturbate and fall asleep. This might be contributing, but it's also the only thing in life I enjoy. All stories have some form of drama or strife in them, and I read a lot of books and watch a lot of anime in addition to the daydreaming. Again, this is one of the few joys in my life. I don't know if reading and daydreaming could even cause nightmares in the first place.

What should I do? The bad dreams are causing me a lot of stress.
>>
>>16621717
Wow, that´s like the third dream thread i reply to that week, maybe i should become a dream-namefag.
>I don't know if reading and daydreaming could even cause nightmares in the first place.
They could but since you are enjoying them, it is highly unlikely that they cause nightmares.
The vivid fantasy you developed by doing this stuff is now working against you by making your nightmares extremely realistic.
>one is stress
That sounds pretty reasonable, try to chill out a bit and don´t pressure yourself to much.
Maybe a stress relieving hobby could help, if you have such a good fantasy maybe try writing a book or something.

If you want we could also try to analyse your dreams a bit deeper.
>>
>>16621729

Sorry for being a nuisance, anon.

What can I do about job stress? Either I manage to get a job, or I am going to be living in my car until I do. I've never had good luck getting jobs, and my profs are saying I should have been applying months ago. I'm applying to one job a day to build the habit.

That's really the only source of stress in my life, and it has nothing to do with physical fights and injuries.

>They could but since you are enjoying them, it is highly unlikely that they cause nightmares.

Well, that's good to know, then.

>vivid fantasy...is now working against you

Oh. Well, shit. I'm a writefag, though, already.

>stress relieving hobby

If I start going to the gym more often will that help, you're saying? I'm more active than ever now and this is when they're being trouble. Maybe a more structured yoga routine. I don't feel this will help, though.
>>
Is your room overheated? I consistently, like litterally without fail, have nightmares if I'm too hot while sleeping.
Also I've read that bad smells can induce nightmares as well, so if you're in a nasty stinky room you could try cleaning it up.
>>
>>16621752
>I'm applying to one job a day to build the habit.
That´s a good start, try to realize that this is all you can do at the moment and try to don´t stress yourself for nothing.
>If I start going to the gym more often will that help, you're saying?
If that´s helping you to relax, it can be but for a lot of people workout is also quite stressing.
>That's really the only source of stress in my life, and it has nothing to do with physical fights and injuries.
Dreams are metaphorical, so a subconscious problem that has nothing to do with physical damage can manifest that way.
Of course it could also be caused not by recent events but by childhood abuse or something. In that case I couldn´t possible help you and you should see a therapist.
>>
>>16621778

These are interesting. it's winter here so it's pretty cold. My housemate stinks the place up with his shitty cooking. A candle is something I could try, or even incense.

>>16621788
>can manifest that way.

This makes it harder to say a cause. And yeah the gym makes me happy, yoga makes me happy and sleepy. I'll try being more regular with my routine.

>That´s a good start

Baby steps I guess. Until I actually get hired I won't be content.
>>
lucid dream.
be aware in your dream that you're dreaming. you can make cool things happen! :O
>>
>>16621822
>This makes it harder to say a cause.
Without extensive therapy it is nearly impossible.
that >>16621826 might also be a good solution, if you can control your dreams, the problem is solved.
>>16621778
A good sleep environment is of course important.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.