[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Counseling Advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: Dr_Kaplan.jpg (18 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
Dr_Kaplan.jpg
18 KB, 360x270
What are tips when you're talking to a really depressed friend? Like I try talking to my friends and I try talking to them about their issues and things they can do to help them, but it never seems to be enough. Anything to add on to this, or if I shouldn't do that at all, tell me how I should do it?
>>
>>16621230
Depressed people can be really suspicious of others, seemingly at random. Did you ever announce your intention straight up, ie, "I want to see if I can help you out with your situation."?
>>
>>16621243
I do if it's a new friend or someone that I haven't had a conversation like that before with. But if it's the same friend I've had a couple times I don't. Should I?
>>
As a severely depressed person, here are some tips:
> don't imply you know what your friend is going through unless you've dealt with a severe depression yourself
> Let him know that he can always talk to you if he feels like letting his worries out
> If he does, let him do the talking. Don't interfere, don't judge, don't rush him
> Don't try to give advice unless he specifically asks for it or seems open to it.
> "You'll get over it" or "it gets better" are big no's. He won't believe you
> Don't think you're bothering him because you're always the one initiating the conversation. If he really didn't want to talk, he'd ignore you.
> Accept that being there for him is pretty much the only thing you can do. You won't be able to get him out of that depression. That requires professional help.
>>
>>16621762
This is good advice. At the end of the day, that person might simply feel better that he can share his problems with someone. that doesn't mean it should be a parliamentary inquiry or something. They talk, you listen.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.