[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What should I major in if I want to do 3D animation? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: batgirl-new-52-1.jpg (750 KB, 1280x1953) Image search: [Google]
batgirl-new-52-1.jpg
750 KB, 1280x1953
What should I major in if I want to do 3D animation?
I've been googling the past few days and all that seems to come up is kind of niche programs at CSUs or for-profit art institutes.

Is it really worth it?
>>
>>16618189
I think it would go with the graphic design career or at least you can start by there and then do a mayor
>>
>>16618189

3D animation IS an art, so yeah. you gotta remember that every school is in fact for profit, art schools just get a bad name cuz its considered a useless skill that cant be taught.

but 3D animation isnt the same as just throwing a pencil down on paper. unlike regular animation it is an active industry that still has a majority of its workers in the US. its not just cartoons either, learning 3D animation is very much learning visual effects in general because thats what most of them are these days. so if you want to get into 3D animation I do recommend going to school for it.

but first and foremost, i recommend just looking at tutorials for a free or pirated software and trying that. see if you actually can get into it and enjoy it first. there are plenty of resources right here on 4chan at 3DCG. read the sticky, download blender, and start messing around. go from the ground up.

first, steal some 3D models online, and learn to rig and move em. then just make stupid little shorts doing that. you can even get like video game models easy and free (I use legend of zelda ones). once you master that, go back and learn how to actually model characters. then make a bunch of those. than learn how to do their clothes and hair and then backgrounds and shit.

you can learn a lot for free, and if ur dedicatd can skip school and just make ur own reel.
>>
>>16618251
Right. My girlfriend also mentioned that there could possibly be opportunities with 3D printing coming into relevancy.

I'll definitely check out 3DCG's sticky, originally I'd skipped it because of the slow pace of the board. But I'll definitely revisit.

Being that you seem pro-school, as far as study, what would you recommend? Graphic design as well?

>>16618197
I like this because it sounds broad and perhaps a bit more real world applicable. But I also don't want it being too broad and the actual knowledge I desire only being a small portion of the program, y'know? But I have yet to look into it.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.