[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm confident I have Misophonia, and I could just kill myself
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: miso.png (60 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
miso.png
60 KB, 500x376
I'm confident I have Misophonia, and I could just kill myself or others when I hear someone smack, crunch, chew, or slurp their food. Also, the sound of silverware clinging to a plate/bowl infuriates me. Right now, my father is completely on the other side OF THE HOUSE and I can hear him eating, and I am in tears. Actual, real tears. I am so upset and angry and anxious. It's the dumbest thing ever, but it's so real that I can't even describe it.

Anyone else suffer with this bullshit? Any cures? Any remedies? Any ways to tolerate these noises? I feel like I'm going to either spontaneously combust or kill myself.
>>
Earplugs?
>>
>>16609658
Feels like a bandaid to the problem. I'm listening to music right now with headphones on, and it's helping drown out the noise, but just knowing that when I take them off and he's still eating, I will hear him, and it sucks.

I normally do carry earplugs around, though. Like to the movies or restaurants. It helps but it's a sad life.
>>
>>16609648
I have had the same thing for about 20 years, but I never knew there was a name for it til a couple years ago. And I'm glad I didn't because otherwise I probably would have just waved my diagnosis around in people's face like an autistic fuck and never tried to do anything about it. As it is, I was able to learn to block out *some* noise to *some* extent. I'm a lot better at blocking out machine noises and shit. People talking is still a noise that I have a terrible time with though, same with people sniffling. I just want to shove a box of kleenex at them.

Here's what I'd do:
Look up some relaxation techniques online - deep breathing, visualising a happy place, whatever works for you. Try several of them and see which ones seem to help. When someone's making noise, make a conscious effort to relax. Just try it for a minute or two, and then put in the earplugs. Basically the idea is to gradually increase your tolerance and to get yourself in the habit of going into relaxation mode when the noises happen. This is not a miracle cure, and it may take a few months or years, but it will help. And if you went to a therapist or a doc, their treatment recommendation would probably be pretty close to that.

Also do whatever you can to work towards moving out, so you can have more control over your environment. Whether it's working on completing school, looking for jobs so you can save up for an apartment, whatever - it makes it easier to tolerate annoying shit if you're actively working towards getting rid of it/getting away from it.
>>
Man, I'm also dying to know this, cause I absolutely HATE when people eat. When I eat with my family, I need to talk to them all the time, cause I don't wanna hear them chewing.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.