[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any US bartenders on /adv/? Is bartending school worth it? How
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: bartend.jpg (189 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
bartend.jpg
189 KB, 1200x800
Any US bartenders on /adv/?

Is bartending school worth it? How does it stack up against bar experience?

Do you work in a small town or a big city?

I'm trying to relocate to a big city and I feel like getting a bartending job would be a great way to start building a social circle and also support myself early on.

Bartending general thread too, I guess.

pic related.
>>
I've been bartending for the past couple of months. I don't have time or want to spend on money on bar tending school. Just get out there and start doing it. I had no fucking clue what I was doing and never made a drink before in my life. I started working at a bar as a barback cause I really needed a job back in the summer. Slowly I started learning basic drinks and terminology like "vodka soda" "well whiskey coke" once I had the basics down the bartenders started showing me how to make martinis,mojitos, and other cocktails. Then I started teaching myself how to put in drinks in the computer by watching and asking. Then I learned how to close and that kind of stuff.

I can tell you right now you won't know how to make every single drink there is all the time. Maybe bar tending school would help you out just a little bit. My advice would be to just start working at a bar where they're cool enough Or you make friends with a bartender to take you under their wing.
>>
>>16606445
Also I work in a big city in a really busy bar which is probably why they started showing me how to make drinks as a barback. Try to find a bar like that

Easy money man
>>
No bartending job postings ever ask for you to have gone to bartending school. Bartending school is for hobbyists. It won't prove you can handle tending an actual busy bar with patrons. Google the basic terminology, then apply somewhere that doesn't require experience and learn the rest. Or do like >>16606445

It would be more valuable to get yourself a certification employers are required to pay for (like R.A.M.P. Certification in Pennsylvania). May not even apply to your state/city.
>>
>>16606445
>>16606845
That helps a lot, thanks both of you.

Are barback jobs hard to come by? Will they pay reasonably well? I feel like you kind of need to luck out with a position but I'm not totally sure.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.