[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just turned 21, and have had this underlying void in me for probably
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1
File: 1432509245941.jpg (18 KB, 295x342) Image search: [Google]
1432509245941.jpg
18 KB, 295x342
Just turned 21, and have had this underlying void in me for probably 4 years now. It's partly to do with my personality, as I feel I have issues connecting with others and commitment problems (have tried over 12 hobbies, stuck with 2. Changed majors twice already, still contemplating a 3rd). I try something, learn the ins-and-outs, and just move on out of curiosity. My position at work is a mix of 4 positions, which I love. The more I study IT, the more I feel unsure how ONLY doing deskwork would be for me mentally.

All this said, I think there's something else in that void that has to do with my lack of religion. Went to a Christian school for years (family wasn't Christian, though), and lost faith at 16. I just couldn't grasp God or supernatural aspects, but tried to follow Jesus' teachings.

The more I think, the more I'd like to devote myself to some sort of religious institution. It'd likely be a varied job (setting up events, bettering myself and others, meeting others, sense of community, etc). I read some Wiccan books, but can't get behind "magic," and tried Buddhism which honestly resonates perfectly with me (except reincarnation).

I can give more info, would rather to keep the OP sort-of concise. I guess I need a reality check: does it seem unreasonable to just give devote myself to a very minority religion (Buddhism) in The U.S.? Any advice on finding if religion is for me, and how to explore which to commit with?
>>
Name all the hobbies you tried and which you enjoyed.

Name the two majors you are in and explain what interests you.
>>
>>16604127
Hobbies in the past few years: 3D art, fishing, camping, programming, writing/reading, dancing, studying languages, clay modeling, martial arts, fighting games, hobby electronics, cosplay, electronic music making, guitar/drumming. Misworded it a bit, I've tried over 12 in the 4 years, stuck with 2 I tried this year.

I greatly enjoy cosplay, camping/fishing, languages, and writing. Cosplay/writing lets me create (and cosplay to meet others easily), languages allow me to appreciate cultures/arts/always can get better, and camping/fishing helps me connect with nature to relax and enjoy it. Fighting games/martial arts/dancing resonate in that it's something fun, and always there to work toward, and very rewarding mentally. The others I enjoyed but basically I've hit a "hobby overload" and just have no time to dedicate to them all. Would if I could, though.

Majors were Psychology and IT. Psychology drew me in as I loved helping others and being there, so it seemed logical. Those "issues connecting with others" kicked in, made me quick, then I learned I love helping others but should use my other main skill of PC's to help.
Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.