[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do i become disciplined?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: discipline.jpg (480 KB, 1497x1024) Image search: [Google]
discipline.jpg
480 KB, 1497x1024
How do i become disciplined?
>>
read an infographic written by a non-English speaker who is big on capital D Disipline and victim blaming.
>>
>>16605988

A person can be both, it's the environment and the company you keep that will eventually bring those behaviors out of you.

Choose to be in a good positive environment and cut off negative influences instead.

Nice flow chart for a nonexistant boring individual btw. It's idealistic but it's not realistic at all. People will just walk all over the disciplined person and eventually they'll be the opposite out of stress. The opposite can happen to the non disciplined person if put in the right environment with the right people.

The most disciplined and succesful aren't living like monks in this day and age. There are people who know how to be social, spontaneous and creative as well and still be disciplined to make the right decisions.

Some people don't deserve respect after their smug facade of being "disciplined" wears off. It's just smugness lol.

Discipline comes from self motivation to either compete or achieve. Happiness comes after you win or reach your goals.

People who aren't discplined don't exist, you have been disciplined in one way or the other by society.

Bad habits and how you cope with stress is what's being contrasted here.
>>
>>16605988
this picture needs another brake at negative consequences where someone may choose good behavior to avoid negative consequences in the future
>>
>>16605988

I think just forming habits and breaking bad ones is pretty much all the discipline that can be forced.

I skimmed >>16606181 and I think he has the right idea - becoming disciplined can make you locked up and unable to take initiative.

Let's say I work 9 hours, I study 2, and I workout 3. That leaves zero time for anything else. That pretty much makes the hypothetical me a boring pleb.

The problem with his reply, of course, is that I don't know what he is actually recommending.

I am recommending breaking and forming habits one by one, while being aware of the problems it creates.
>>
Try putting social pressure on yourself to create a habit by telling other people about your intentions.
>>
>>16606630
>>16605988

That works for people with low self esteem. Some people always need constant reassurance and validation to feel motivated. That's fine but what is a better value is to be independent, to want to survive on your own two feet without anyone.

Then you can come back as a valued member to society because of your unique journey as an individual. Your own belief system, ethics and the morality you choose will be your own code of discipline to yourself. The one that leads to your personal success.

If you don't have any of those then you don't respect yourself. You don't respect yourself as an individual that's capable of their own unique perspectives and creativity.

Discipline has nothing to do with this. This is about positive reinforcement and self motivation. If you need discipline or to be disciplined then that means you are not in control of your life. You can't follow yourself so you can't understand and follow others. You have to encourage self realization and healthy understanding. That's true mutual respect and love. Kids who are treated like adults and with respect grow up to respect others naturally through their experiences and supportive parents.

Kids who are heavily disciplined well... we all know that one good girl or boy thats turned into..

Discipline insinuates that something is wrong and that it needs to be corrected. It doesn't work well in the long term and it results in resentment.

The chart values respect but in this day and age this does not work. It's a competitive society and what's valued is honesty, perseverance, hardwork and tenacity.

Just learn to self realize and naturally live up to your potential through experiences and healthy decisions

Most importantly just do it, don't talk just do it. Look up what you want done and do it. Have fun!
>>
>>16606738

Social pressure works on any healthily socialized individual.
>>
>>16606746

The individual has a choice to either be influenced or not. If it is a positive social influence then yes the group pressure will be naturally accepted by the person. If it's a negative influence then there will be resistance and eventual resentment and regret if forced upon the individual.

This is assuming the person has free will and is a grown adult. A child is the most sensitive to this.
>>
>>16606815
>The individual has a choice to either be influenced or not

No.

Your genes have existed million of years contingent on social approval. The disapproval of your tribe meant the very real risk of death.

It isn't a choice.
>>
>>16606843

Irrelevant today, you make, pick and choose your tribe if you are strong.

If you are weak then yes that applies to you.

It isn't as black and white like you're pushing it to be. Be more open minded and don't scared to learn new perspectives.
>>
>>16605988
Sigmund Freud, known as the father of psychoanalysis, recorded his observations of group dynamics in Group Psychology and the Analysis of the Ego. In his work, he refers to Wilfred Trotter as the group conditions its members, Freud states "opposition to the herd is as good as separation from it, and is therefore anxiously avoided.[2]" Such fear causes the individual members and even leaders of a particular group to go along with the decisions a group based in accordance to its culture. On a micro scale, the individual is conditioned to partake in the social norms of the said group even if they contradict his or her personal moral code. The consequences of such protest (may) result in isolation. Such, in accordance to Freud, is one of the greatest punishments than can be instilled on an individual. This would result in the inability of an individual to practice his or her "instinctual impulses." These instincts, in accordance to Freud, are the motives behind actions that the individual may take. The father of psychoanalysis further states that, "we thus have an impression of a state in which an individual's private emotional impulses and intellectual acts are too weak to come to anything by themselves and are entirely dependent for this on being reinforced by being repeated in a similar way in the other members of the group.[2]" Out of fear of isolation and to secure the practice of instinctual impulses, there may be little protest from individual members as the group continues to conditions.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.