[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Taking up a new faith
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 300x263) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 300x263
Anyone here change their religion?

I was raised Southern Baptist, but I simply do not believe in the core aspects of the faith. I do believe in God, but I don't believe Jesus was the son of man.
I think my own personal beliefs closely align with Quakerism, but I do not know any Quakers. I live in a very small town, with no other Quakers (I have tried to find them). I would like to learn more about the religion, but somehow I feel like a tourist; like a pretender. When I do find a church group, how do I not feel like an outsider?

Any thoughts?
Experiences?
>>
>I'm not a Christian
>I think I'm a Quaker
Quakers are Christian. Quakerism isn't for you.
>>
>>16599878
Stop being a child. The quakers are a dead religion. You want to join them though you have no idea how the bible works or what each denomination's take on it is. You might as well join the amish.

Don't pick a faith based on how it makes you feel. Do your own digging, understand what they all mean, the interpretations, etc etc. Take a class at LEAST. Then pick based on what you think is most reliable to what actually happened based on the history.
>>
>>16599888
The fuck are you on about? He didn't even mention the word "Christian" and in no way implied that.

That said, a lot of the shittier strains of American Protestantism don't seem to regard anyone who isn't their brand of American Protestantism as pure Christians. I've heard this several times: "Yeah, I was raised Christian, but as I'm getting older I'm thinking about looking into Catholicism." It's ignorance but not malice.

But like I said ... he didn't say that.
>>
>>16599898
He said he doesn't believe in Jesus as the son of God. That rules him out of every single Christian religion. Quakers are Christians. Therefore he cannot be Quaker. Clear enough for you?
>>
>>16599895
It's a smallish movement, relatively speaking, but there's still a couple hundred thousand of them floating around. Next time please know what you're talking about before you call something a "dead religion."
>>
>>16599900
>I don't believe Jesus was the son of man.
>son of man
>of man
>man
Not coincidentally, that's also what Quakers believe. Nice try, though.
>>
>>16599915
Do you know what Son of Man means?
>>
>>16599924
Yes. You don't, though. You think you do but you really don't. Please do a modicum of research before responding again.
>>
>>16599945
Educate me. What does it mean?

inb4 nuh uh! do it yourself!
>>
>>16599903
An evangelical religion that is SHRINKING is a dead religion you dipshit. 350,000 people is .005% of the world population. Don't say shit when you know nothing.
>>
>>16599952
>>16599945
Neither of you tards sound like you have any idea. "Son of man" literally means born of a human, son of mary. Not sure whether OP actually ment "son of man" or that was a typo for "son of god". Since Jesus being the son of man is not up for debate. He was a real historical figure that can be seen on the Roman census.
>>
>>16599963
That's my point. He, of course, meant it in the Messianic sense, because the other way makes no fucking sense at all. Which is why I addressed it as such.
>>
Feel free to look up Quaker beliefs (some Quakers -- not all, it's not a formalized doctrine) on the nature of Jesus Christ's body and flesh. I'm not doing it for you; I'm on my phone. Not that it's particularly relevant, but neither Jesus, Mary or Joseph was recorded on the Roman census. Don't pretend to expertise when you have none.
>>
>>16599977
>nuh uh! do it yourself!
Sometimes, I even amaze myself.

Jesus was an actual man who actually existed. This is not up for debate. Tacitus and all that. So either OP is retarded and doesn't know Jesus existed in human form (which I doubt) or he was referring to the Messianic definition of "Son of Man" which means he isn't a Christian.
>>
>>16599965
>>16599963
>>16599924
>>16599915
Op here.
It was a typo. I meant, I don't believe Jesus was THE son of God. I believe we are all sons and daughters of God. I believe Jsus was an actual person that existed, but his works made him holy. He is an example we should all try to live up to, but he was just a man.
>>
itt: petty religious squabbles.
Why bother with religion, OP?
>>
>>16599878

You should look up Quakers in relation to mental asylums. They did some really great things for people who were being treated like animals at every turn.

Quakers are the only Christians I really respect.
>>
>>16599878
It sounds to me, OP, that you're just going out of your way to be unique and contrarian.

Don't do that.
>>
>>16599888
Not all Quakers identify as Christian.

>>16599895
>You want to join them though you have no idea how the bible works
I have read the Bible. I was raised Southefn Baptist.
>or what each denomination's take on it is.
>>16599895
I am still learning, but I didn't just make this decision overnight. It is something I have been contemplating for about five years now.
>Don't pick a faith based on how it makes you feel.
I didn't.
>Do your own digging, understand what they all mean, the interpretations, etc etc.
I have been reading up on this religion for a while now. There are actually three different branches of Quakerism that I am most interested in.
>>16599900
>Quakers are Christians. Therefore he cannot be Quaker. Clear enough for you?
Not all Quakers identify as Christian. Specifically Non-thiest and Universalist Quakers.
>>16599977

>>16599977
>Feel free to look up Quaker beliefs
I have been, thank you.
>Don't pretend to expertise when you have none.
No where did I say I was an expert on anything.

>>16600166
>Why bother with religion, OP?
Honestly, I don't really know. I'm a big believer in science, and evidence does not support the idea that there is a God. But somehow I believe. I see signes of a divine power all around me in nature.

>>16600223
>It sounds to me, OP, that you're just going out of your way to be unique and contrarian.
Why? Because I might relate to a religion you are unfamiliar with? I don't think being a Quaker is very unusual anyway. It's not that uncommon where I'm from (Kentucky). I am simply looking for a group of like minded people to worship with.
I don't flaunt my religious beliefs. I don't talk about it with my friends and family. To me religion is very personal. It's really no one else's business what I believe. It's certainly not a tactic to get attention.
>>
>>16599895
>dead religion
I think you mean the Shakers, anon.
>>
>>16599878
Fuck off special snowflake
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.