[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Losing interest in everything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Odd0z5P.jpg (89 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Odd0z5P.jpg
89 KB, 800x800
So is there anyone else who has dealt with anhedonia (the symptom of depression usually listed as "lack of interest in things you previously enjoyed") and actually found a good coping mechanism?

Honestly I find this very scary because I've had depression without it before, and that was just being sad and hopeless about things I was passionate about. Now I feel like I'm literally becoming a different person because I don't care about anything I used to. I don't care about anything new either though. I'm not sure how to stop this.
>>
>>16586827
I'm having the same problem OP, i didn't know such thing also happens to other people, care to elaborate more on your condition???
>>
>>16586934

Well you can read more about it generally by googling "anhedonia" and reading its wikipedia page or the symptom page on a medical website.

But for me, I just don't have any passion for the things I used to love. For example, since I was a kid I wanted to become a writer, but in the past few years it seems like a chore to read books or to write. I can't motivate myself to do it and it seems pointless. The same with political causes I used to care about, seeing friends I know I care about somewhere deep down, and sexual things. Just recently my boyfriend has been doing things I would have found very exciting before this happened, but now I just don't care at all. I go along with pretending to be happy because I appreciate it and don't want to hurt his feelings though.

Lots of these things, like my sexuality and what I wanted to do as a career, are things that I think are pretty central to my sense of self. So it can feel like I am fading away. I actually feel jealous of myself in the past and wish I could get back to being "like myself" again, but I'm just not really finding any interest in the things I used to do. Most days I just take care of my duties as fast as possible, waste some time, and then go to sleep.
>>
>>16586827

Skateboarding and making music are literly all thats keeping me going. 18 unimployed britfag
>>
Same problem. Hoping treatment will cure it. Anti-depressants have some promise for this issue, from what I've read.
>>
Please define the lack of interest. I always see people mentioning some form or degree of anhedonia in threads here in /adv/, and while I usually identify with the symptoms the "lack of interest" per se is not present. What happens with me is a complete lack of willpower and motivation to pursue what I do have an interest in, which then leads to some serious time spent on idealizing actually doing those things.
>>
>>16587502
Please don't tell me you are one of those skateboard fags who's really into the culture and believes himself to be an artist while posting "deep" quotes on his twitter.
>>
Yeah, it happens.I get bored of mostly everything: games, music, friends and so on.

You need something new in life. You can't focus on the depressive aspect of it and especially the categorical hypochondriac feeling like something's wrong with you and you need to see a doctor or some shit as your first response.

I tend to have my hands in lots of things all at once to keep things fresh.
>>
>>16586827
same here!
>>
I'm in the same boat. So long passions of graffiti and computers and poetry. Hello alcohol
>>
I have this but it was due to me frying my serotonin receptors. I'm incapable of feeling happiness or any kind of pleasure emotionally.. I've lost interest in almost everything in life because I get nothing out of anything anymore. So... I got addicted to opiates.... yep lol.
>>
>>16588734
eh
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.