[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wage Slave /adv/ thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 1436380237283.jpg (71 KB, 500x383) Image search: [Google]
1436380237283.jpg
71 KB, 500x383
I can't keep doing this. I cannot keep putting up with the inconsistent hours, early wake-ups, hard physical labor, downright deplorable work"mates", and LESS than non-livable wage. I can't keep job hopping from one place to another after I inevitably become Ill at the thought of working that job one more day. It's been like this every fucking time and it never gets better. I havn't had a single job worth caring for, putting effort into, or spending my time on. I don't know why I kept thinking "it will be better at the next job". I have no feeling of accomplishment or fulfillment in the shitty fast food, retail, sales, and labor fields I've worked. I was thinking tonight..I havn't even done a job where I helped someone. I would feel good if I could help people. Real help, not that fake customer service horseshit.

What are some jobs that involve making a difference? I want to make ripples of positivity on the world and it's people. I want to work for a cause, not an underwhelming paycheck and shitty lifestyle. Firemen for example. They put out fires and save lives and get payed livable wages.

So /adv/, what are some fullfilling, selfless, and well payed jobs out there?

Im 21 and in the US.

General job advice/venting thread.
>>
>>16573941

There is a related thread here: >>16573745
>>
Be a security guard man. It's not glorious but if you work for a good firm you won't feel like you're selling your soul or anything. And what I mean by that is you don't have to be fake. Anything that comes out of my mouth is the same as it would be if I was out of uniform and I love it. No submissive customer service bullshit

As long as you have the balls to tell homeless people to leave the property then you're golden. And I know it's not the beautiful civic service you're hoping for but occasionally people actually do give me some grateful gestures for dealing with

>that weird guy over there in the trenchcoat
>>
>>16573959
Its not even mildly related, what kind of joke is that? Bet I won't see you directing the ocean of relationship advice threads to just one either. Why don't you just answer my question?? If you clicked on my thread just to tell me not to have it, fuck off.
>>
ever thought about the military?

how about EMS/police/fire fighting?
>>
>>16574006
Uuh, it certainly isn't the a civic service. Walking around with a gun and acting tough to people who need help isn't what I had in mind, you're right.

Something where I don't need to be in control of someone. Power tripping isn't what I do.
>>
>>16574017
Military service (especially combat) is directly hurting others while inderectly helping your goverment (which hurts others). Im not trying to fucking kill anybody or help other people kill anybody. Something humanitarian and innocent.
>>
>>16574021
Dude who the fuck said anything about power tripping? I'm nice to everyone, even the addicts. Was just trying to suggest some easy money you ungrateful moron
>>
>>16574027
how about EMS then?

I'm an EMT and my entire job is based around helping the sick and injured. It was a 3 month training course to get certified (and now is actually a good time to get in on it since most classes will probably start in January) and then only took around a month after I graduated to get full time employment with an EMS agency.

Its a challenging and rewarding job that is quite highly respected, it can also be taken in a lot of different directions as many EMTs go on to continue their medical training and become Paramedics, nurses, physician's assistants, or ER technicians. Many others go into other emergency services like firefighting and policing.

I really do enjoy it, though it must be said that the down side is that there isn't much money to be made in it. I only make around $13 an hour doing it, but I'm trying to transfer to the FDNY EMS (I live just outside of New York) which would pay much better.

If you've got any questions about EMS I'd be happy to answer.
>>
>>16574021
>>16574027
I should apologize, I know that people like you probably don't think of themselves or their occupations as harmful or bad, but some people really do, myself included. But let me be fair, there are some good people who work those 'not-so-good' jobs and I have nothing personal against certain individuals. Thanks for replying to my thread, I appreciate the input. That work just isn't for me.
>>
>>16574046

How long to civie EMT-P, what's the pay? Are there work experience requirements?
>>
>>16574041
Im sorry.

Most of the time I think of people in that profession negatively. Too much abuse of power with those positions, I sometimes forget that there can be nice people who really try to help. Sorry. Im having a bad day if that changes anything.
>>
>>16573941
>I want to do good things, but I also want to make lots of money.

Can't have both.
>>
File: Supervillain.jpg (58 KB, 480x555) Image search: [Google]
Supervillain.jpg
58 KB, 480x555
do girls ever initiate conversations with you?
i feel like my friends won't even look at me unless i talk to them first.
>>
>>16574057
Medic school is 1-2 years depending on how intensive the class is. I'd definitely advise you to be an EMT-B for atleast 1 year, though ideally more like 3 before you go to medic school.

Medic school is a big financial and time commitment for something you might not even like. I'd say 3 years is good because I consider that basically to be the cutoff when you can consider yourself to not be a rookie anymore, you've seen enough to keep your cool in any situation and know the difference between a good medic and a bad one.

As for pay its a bit better than EMT but only by a few dollars an hour, there are some exceptionally well paying medic positions but those require a lot of experience. Lots of agencies are fine with hiring fresh EMTs but many are wary of hiring medics without a year of experience in EMS.
>>
>>16574075
wrong thread
>>
So why aren't you a firefighter then, OP? In most municipalities you only need to be up to the physical capability of the job and have a high school degree or equivalent (although to get ahead in the ranks you will probably need some college). They have two year degrees in fire science that you could look into.

One field where there is a lot of job satisfaction and can be fairly well paid is something in the construction field; you have a physical representation of your work (i.e. I helped build that building) and a lot of the people find that very rewarding, more so than pushing numbers around on an excel spreadsheet. Depending on your specialty it can pay very well. It's a job for a young guy though, once you're in your forties or fifties you'll want to be a contractor with your own crew because you won't be able to do the labor anymore probably.

Unfortunately a lot of jobs where you are told you are going to "make a difference" are underpaid. Employers bank on young idealistic people working for peanuts as social workers, teachers, and at non-profits to "make a difference" and thus put up with the poor compensation.

I work in cancer research and I find my job very rewarding, but there can be quite a lot of school involved there, at least a bachelors in some kind of STEM discipline. I've heard nursing can also be very fulfilling, but again that takes some school also.

Also, you are still helping people in the jobs you have had already. When people needed help finding something, you helped them, right? When they had a special request or need you helped them to the best of your ability and were happy to do so, right? I worked at Wal-Mart all through high school and college, and it made me happy to help people. For every jerk in retail there is a perfectly nice person who just needs a little assistance.
>>
>>16574079

I was just curious how it compares to the military in terms of time to get cert.

So, you are saying 1 year is doable without having the EMT-B certs first?
>>
>>16573941
There's nothing if you don't want it to also consume your life. Having a livable income means having no personal life anymore.
>>
>>16574095
indeed, you were a combat medic in the military? Civilian EMS is somewhat different so I'd still recommend doing a year as an EMT but its up to you. Lots of EMS agencies will pay for you to go to medic school btw, though you'll be contractually obligated to continue working for them for a time.
>>
>>16574046
EMT has crossed my mind a few times in the past. But I don't know if im capable..

Some things about me:
1. I don't want to get my brain hung-up on death and injury. I already think about that stuff constantly and I want a positive change, unless you can promise me that thos type of thoughts will pass and not effect your personal life.

2. I really fucked myself in highschool. I didn't pay attention, I cheated on everything I could, skipped class, never took anything serious, dropped out and got a GED. Now im an adult in the adult world and my foundation of knowledge and experience is a fucking joke. Im likely too stupid to even handle the core requirements (math, english, science, ect) for college. And there's no quarentee that once I start, I will pass.

3. My communication skills are..strange. I can't figure out if im stupid or just actually fall on the autism specrum, it's pretty bad. I sometimes don't know what im suposed to do or what to say at times, so how could I even trust myself to save someone's life and communicate crucial information between a more experienced EMT than myself??

EMT is the kind of job I was thinking, but im too negative to pursue or even achieve it, I feel.
>>
>>16574116
If you live in a suburban or rural area there are doubtless volunteer agencies nearby where you could start volunteering at right now, even without a certification, to see if its something you like.

I'd say just taking the class would be good for you, even if you never get a job as an EMT you'll learn valuable and potentially life saving things. And then when you do pass the class you'll have proven to yourself that you can finish something you started.
>>
>>16574021
>projecting your own shitty judgemental attitude this hard
>not knowing most security guards carry little more than a nightstick anyways
"sorry" or not, think before you post.
Shit people are stuck in shit jobs for a reason. Find out yours and maybe you'll move up.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.