[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do psychiatrists/therapists actually help for what they charge?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 0054 - t5D0mAH.jpg (135 KB, 736x721) Image search: [Google]
0054 - t5D0mAH.jpg
135 KB, 736x721
Do psychiatrists/therapists actually help for what they charge? Or do they just tell you what you already know. I feel like it would be a shame to see one for all that cash and have nothing out of it but an open, expensive ear to talk to.
>>
sometimes.
>>
>>16573650
I tried my college's free counseling sessions and it was a fucking nightmare. It was so awkward I lied about my mood so that I didn't have to go back. I'm too fucked up for professional help anyway
>>
Some people genuinely need answers about what's going on in their head, treatment or medication. Some people find it very helpful to vent and talk through their life issues with another person, and they'd rather do it with a professional than unload on their friends and loved ones and partners or whatever. Some people expect a therapist to be a witch doctor, and they're desperately trying to "fix" things that can't be fixed or aren't actually broken. It's different for everyone.

It really helps if you can clearly say what you hope to get out of the experience. And find a doctor that has specific knowledge and/or experience on that topic.
>>
For me they did not help one bit. They seemed genuinely more interested in my money than my wellbeing. I'd rather not talk about it anymore. I suggest finding a friend you trust and try to talk to them instead, but not too much. Don't wanna unload your problems constantly onto them.
>>
>>16573690
What constitutes as too fucked up?
>>
>>16573751
>Cripplingly low self esteem
>Zero motivation to improve
>Anger issues
>Severe depression
Nobody can fix me except for me, anon. It's all my fault and no doctor will be able to help me. If I had the gumption to pull myself out of my situation I would have but I'm such a lazy self defeating piece of shit that I don't deserve help.
>>
>>16573650

As far as I am concerned. No*.

*Unless you are a complete moron who doesn't understand anything.
>>
>>16573766
I'm also a lazy self defeating piece of shit, but for some reason I'm not as down as a regular person would be. I guess I'm just used to being alone and worthless.
>>
>>16573768
There used to be a time when I was younger where I was excited for the future and the possibilities it held. Now I am simply existing. Day in day out. Wake up, fap, look at my hideous body, shower, get dressed, work, eat like shit, come home, look at my hideous body, eat like shit, video games, fap, sleep, repeat. Life sucks when you get older
>>
>>16573766
>>16573768
>>16573778

>Life sucks when you get older

Not for everyone lololol
>>
>>16573778
Yeah, I'm only 24 but spending the last 5 years alone and isolated from anyone has left me depressed and bitter. But at least I have the discipline to change.
>>
>>16573789
Yup... Not for everyone. Lol indeed.

>>16573791
Good. Be better, anon.
>>
They really can help, but you need to find one that you can work with. Usually, in their bios on their clinic site, you can see what type of therapy they practice: cognitive-behavioral, etc. Look up the different types and think about which one you would like to try.
>>
No. Here's some of my experiences
Therapist:
>I don't feel sexual attraction (I'm asexual but didn't know it was a thing back then) but I like this one guy but I don't want to be intimate
Her answer:
>Just get drunk and go for it let him do whatever. You'll have fun!!

Psychiatric:
>So it says here you have severe depression and cut yourself, is that true?
>Yes
Her answer:
>Ok I'll just prescribe you some medication
session was around 10 mins. Anti depressants only made everything harder (they blocked out my emotions and I was just numb and sleeping all the time).

School therapist:
>Vaguely vents about abusive stepfather
Her answer:
>None. She just says "Oh" to most things I say and then goes tell everything to a teacher, who then stalks me around school asking if my stepfather beat me up.

I think you need to google about your mental disorders and gain INSIGHT. That's the most helpful thing you can do for yourself. No one else, not even these motherfuckers that call themselves therapists or wtv can do a better job at telling you what you have than yourself.
>>
>>16573650
Honestly you have to be willing to be open to change, if you don't want the advice you can easily ignore them and make no progress.
>>
>>16573778
Living the dream.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.