[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Moral issues with make up
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Okay, so I'm female, 22, and I just really don't like make up. Mostly because I think:
>it's deceiving
>it's a waste of money
>in many cases looks fake or slutty

My biggest problem is that whenever I wear make up I feel like cheating. I'm naturally freckled and have ruddy cheeks, and for example when I put foundation my skin evens out and look flawless. But I feel like I'm deceiving people and feel incredibly stupid and shallow. I don't wear make up at all (maybe 4-5 times a year when I really have to) and my mother keeps telling me to start using make up, because I'm 'in that age'

I'm also fat and while losing weight wanted to find some ways to better my looks on a different platform, make up was suggested... But I just can't stand that shit
>>
>>16563606

Focus on not being fat. Also, don't post cat pictures, it gives you away as a fatty.
>>
>>16563615
>it gives you away as a fatty
I said that I'm fat already in the post so it's all good. But yeah, will do as you suggest
>>
>>16563606
>moral issues
That's just fucking stupid. Make-up is used to emphasize/de-emphasize features. It's for fun, it's art, it's social. But it's not fucking immoral. If other people are too stupid to understand that some people wear make up and generally how it works, their ignorance does not make it immoral.

>I don't like it
Then don't wear it. I don't. Who cares? Your mother? You're also at the age where you can start to tell her to fuck off. Also >>16563615, focus on the fat if you want to improve yourself. But keep posting cat pictures, cat pictures are always related.
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 500x282
Well first good job on losing weight proud of you anon! Secondly, in my opinion you should be fine without makeup somewhere in this world there is a person who wants to fuck your brains out
>>
You can wear makeup and still look natural there's hundred of tutorials on the Internet on how to put on make up. It's not cheating its just enhancing your natural features. You can still wear make up without looking slutty.
>>
Unless you have the skin of a lizard and/or pizza, you can look perfectly presentable without makeup. It's all about hygiene, style, and yes, to a certain extent, not being fat.

I like to put on a little tinted lip balm, it's usually the most I'll ever do that's makeup-related.
>>
>>16563634
>Who cares?

obviously people do, my mother keeps saying it's unprofessional (as I work), my friends keep comenting that I look 'so young' and try to get me into make up. I mean, I guess it's not a problem as long I'm relatively young. But I keep hearing about girls who won't leave home without make up and then feel like a weirdo because that's the only way I go
>>
>>16563606
As long as you take care of your skin (and that includes losing weight, avoiding bad foods, etc.) then you really don't need make up. It's great for certain occasions but you really don't want to be that person that can't leave the house without it. I generally use it for work days when I know I'll have to deal with people face to face. But other than that, it's just a basic skin care routine, a little coconut oil to keep my lips soft, and brow gel to tame my thick brows. That's it.
>>
What's the advice you need? You're just complaining about makeup. It's fine to not wear it.
>>
>>16563677
>obviously people do, my mother keeps saying it's unprofessional (as I work)
What sort of work do you do? If you're at a high-end job trying to sell your product to a client, then it's understandable that people would suggest make up. But if you're at a dead end retail job, or in fast food, no one gives a shit.

>my friends keep comenting that I look 'so young' and try to get me into make up
I'm the same way, I have a baby face. I'm 26 and look younger than my 18-20 year old friends because I don't slather myself with face cake and take excellent care of my skin. There's absolutely nothing wrong with looking young. In fact, I'd even say that they're jealous and want you to be like them as it gets rid of competition.

>But I keep hearing about girls who won't leave home without make up
That's because they're self-conscious. When you get in the habit of wearing make up every day, and you suddenly stop, people suddenly see behind the mask. It makes some women feel vulnerable. But again, it's all based on self-esteem. If you're comfortable in your own skin, you won't be worried if people see what you really look like. That's not a bad thing.
>>
>>16563606
If you're not fat it doesn't matter whether or not you're wearing makeup.
>>
Honestly, people know if you do or don't wear makeup. It's not cheating or being deceptive. We know you don't naturally have winged eyeliner or sparkly eyelids. Girls look nice when they do their makeup - more polished. Everyone looks nice when they put in effort - it's just socially accepted that girls have makeup as another tool for that. Dressing nicely (i.e. clothes that fit/flatter and are clean), taking care of your hair, exercising to keep your figure nice, and even things that aren't makeup (like doing your eyebrows) go a long way to looking nice.

If you think makeup is a pain in the ass and a waste of money, don't wear it! I don't wear makeup. For me personally, it's a waste of time and I just don't care, and I do other things to look presentable. I get my eyebrows waxed, I buy cute clothes, I take care of my skin, and I do my hair. I also wear glasses. Would I look better in makeup? Hell yeah, but I can't be assed, and not wearing makeup has never been a problem for me. I work in a casual office setting and my husband prefers me without it. That said, I love other girls' makeup. It's very nice to look at and it's pretty much an artform desu. More power to them for taking the time to make themselves look amazing and fabulous. But if that's not your bag, you can't force it to be.

tl;dr if you don't want to wear makeup to look nice, you can do things like:

- Take good care of your skin (exfoliate, moisturize, do masks every so often, etc.)
- Get your eyebrows done
- Fix your hair and maintain a nice, stylish cut that suits you
- Wear flattering, nice clothes
- Be confident and secure with yourself
- Eat healthy and get enough sleep
- Wear accessories
- Do your nails
>>
>>16563688
I guess I just wanna stop being irrational and learn to like make up.

>>16563710
I work in a call centre. Yeah, I guess there's nothing wrong with looking young but whenever I hang out with my friends I stick out like a sore thumb.
>>
>>16563710
>There's absolutely nothing wrong with looking young.
Exactly. I will never understand people complaining about their baby face. I see how people my age look and yeah I'd rather be mistaken for a high schooler than look like them

>>16563729
How is having a preference irrational? Plenty of women don't like makeup. You're not in a minority by any means.
>>
>>16563729
>I work in a call centre
Then it's really not necessary. Just find a good skin care routine that works for you. As much as people here hate reddit, this is probably the one time where I'd actually recommend it. They have a really great skin care board.

>but whenever I hang out with my friends I stick out like a sore thumb
You probably look young, sweet and approachable (unlike them).
>>
>some ways to better my looks on a different platform
Skincare regimen for your face if you don't have one already. Cleanser/toner/moisturizer, don't skip a step out of those, but on the flip side you don't need to do more than that. Go to a store, ask someone what skin type you have. Then ask them what kind of cleanser, toner, and moisturizer they recommend for you.

Aside from that, if you get chapped lips a lot start wearing lip balm frequently, and if that doesn't help enough on its own exfoliate your lips once a week with a mixture of 1:1 sugar:brown sugar, and then some olive oil added in, enough to make it moist. Rub it into your lips with your hand or an old toothbrush, let it sit one minute, wash off, and then apply chapstick. It helps my lips out a lot.
>>
>this much consensus on 4chan

>>16563725

While I am not a fan of makeup, I think a girl should know how to apply it for some occasions. It's like an essential skill - a man needs to know how to keep a job, fix a car, lift weights, and a woman needs to know to cook dinner, iron, and wear makeup. Lazy attempts at sexist humor aside, I am being serious about it being somewhat of a basic skill imo.
>>
>>16563739
>I see how people my age look and yeah I'd rather be mistaken for a high schooler than look like them
Sometimes I look at people my age and wonder what went wrong in their lives. Seriously. I see people in their 20s that look like chain smoking 35 year old prostitutes, and it's terrifying.
>>
Well thank you all for replies and tips. You all calmed me down, I was feeling really bad about this make up thing. So yeah, thank you
>>
There is natural make up, but it does intentionally lower your dating market because most of the guys that spew 'make up is for whores' are the guys that are naturally 3-4/10. The fat part probably already puts you in that ball park, so I don't know if your expectations could possibly pass 5/10.
>>
>>16563777
I'm not looking for a bf so it's all fine I guess
>>
>>16563757
I don't really know anyone who looks quite that bad, but most of my peers have gained weight and generally just look a lot older, while I've started looking younger than I looked when I was actually in high school. I don't question it, I just appreciate it and wonder why anyone would ever complain about it.
>>
>>16563796
>I don't really know anyone who looks quite that bad
It's probably the small town I currently live in. Most people here are either fat southern belles with big hair, tons of make up, and a few kids before 22. The other half? Meth. People I would consider normal are few and far between.
>>
>>16563729
>I guess I just wanna stop being irrational and learn to like make up.
It's not irrational to not like makeup. It's just your preference, and there's nothing wrong with that. If you really want to learn to like make up, just buy a few essentials from the drug store: some eyeliner in a neutral shade, some mascara, and maybe some subtle lip gloss. Try applying it for a week and see how you like it. If you don't, then since you bought some cheap stuff at the drug store you're not out much cash and can just throw it away. It's really no big deal.

Makeup is just for fun. I wear it only on special occasions like dates with the boyfriend or special occasions with the family. It's actually better not to cake on the makeup every day, it ages your skin a lot.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.