[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/, So how true is the saying, "Follow your dreams"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 2013-01-08-alanwatts.jpg (1 MB, 980x6438) Image search: [Google]
2013-01-08-alanwatts.jpg
1 MB, 980x6438
Hey /adv/,

So how true is the saying, "Follow your dreams"?

I ask because I'm pretty much at rock bottom here. Working a job I hate with nothing serving as a better alternative and have no idea where I want to go. I've always thought about going into stand up or possibly working in in hiking/rock climbing/outdoors stuff even though there isn't that much money to be made.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is are there any people here who just said, "Fuck it!" and did what they wanted? How did everything work out?

Sorry if this question is mixed up all over the place.

Pic related
>>
File: 1449624579096.jpg (51 KB, 460x591) Image search: [Google]
1449624579096.jpg
51 KB, 460x591
Sure, have an abridged personal story
>Have a friend that lived in a cold, rainy city dealing with stupid people all day shuffling boxes in a warehouse
>Every weekend he would travel 300 miles to hang out with me in a fringe town, bitch about his life and how he hated it
>Told him EVERY TIME he would visit that he should nut up, move here and do something he likes
>...
>Two years later he's much happier working as a one-man taxi service in a small town, goes fishing every day and makes a great living

Follow your dreams OP.
>>
OP, your pic doesn't work with video games
I tried
>>
>>16552356
Funny enough OP, I was just about to ask a similar question.

That picture pretty much sums up my situation, and I'm not sure if it's right or wrong to give up worrying about income. Probably because I'm still under my parent's roof and I have a past incessantly grabbing at my heels.

I just kinda lost what I'm passionate about, I want to do alot of things, many of which I'm not even good at.
>>
>>16552421
Thanks anon.

>>16552475
Same boat, brah. If you're still lurking, do you have depressionas well?
>>
>>16552527
Don't know. Been too lazy/fearful to look for a therapist.

I don't doubt it though.
>>
>>16552540
I ask because what you said is the same situation for me. I honestly feel like I'm well past the point at improving any skills beyond vidya
>>
>>16552653
Funny enough, my vidya skills haven't improved either. In fact, I'm pretty shit at most of them now or buy so many that I don't focus on a single one anymore.

But with coming home unsatisfied from work, the pressure to pursue something advanced/move out from my parent's place and other stuff, I just sit around doing nothing.
>>
>>16552356
that pic is such bullshit, it's easy to say for someone who's established their position in the booming 90s or when you're a first year student with not a care in the world but try telling your landlord to forget about money and see how much horseriding you can do when you live on the street!

then there's the middle road, find something you like but that is actually realistic, like >>16552421
I don't think it's anyones dream to be a taxi driver but it's also easy to see the appeal, especially if you're a car-lover.

I'm not shure how the rock-climbing world works but you don't have to say "fuck it" to get into it. Just apply for jobs at outdoorsy companies or start your own webshop or service where you provide tours in the weekends or whatever. if it catches on then drop some work-days and eventually quit your job.
If it doesn't catch on, experiment some more.
>>
continued from>>16552680
also the good thing about stacking boxes is that when you work with your hands, you have your mind free to work on a plan.
Much worse would be a job where your mind is constantly semi-occupied, like it's boring enough to hate it, but engaging enough not to escape.
>>
I have a friend who followed his dreams and wanted to work on a circus

He travelled across europe, has many shows and even if he doesn't have that much money he goes around the world living cheapily and enjoying it.

He's the happiest of our group of friends, the rest of us decided to go to university and some of them are having a bad time with their careers, others are meh, i'm enjoying it but i don't have any big goals in life besides travelling so this helps.
>>
I did what I wanted, but I always wanted to be a doctor, so...
Anyway, I guess I have two stories to share. One of my cousins really wanted to work with literature and language, and ended up working as a translator. It pays well enough to support him, but only barely. Working from home has made him completely isolated and he doesn't talk to anyone outside the family anymore. He's regressed socially pretty badly (he always had aspergers-y tendencies). But he gets to read a lot of cool books and get paid for it, so he's at least fairly happy.
Another cousin I have always dreamed of opening a restaurant, so he did. He worked his ass off, did a great job and had a great business going for almost 10 years. After that it turned out his best friend, who was the co-owner of the restaurant, had been cheating him the whole time and the place had to close down. So then my cousin decided he wanted to live on a farm, and he and his girlfriend bought a place miles from the nearest city and started raising goats.
>>
>>16552720
>>16552687
It's stories like these that somewhat fill me with fear or anxiety. I have this feeling that I would be looked at strangely for dropping everything and trying to break out in something like YouTube or acting.

And I'm also at fault for equating money with success.
>>
>>16552774
>>16552774
>I have this feeling that I would be looked at strangely for dropping everything and trying to break out in something like YouTube or acting.

first of all: who cares how people look at you
second of all: yes you would be stupid for dropping everything for a career that every dickhead is persueing.
third of al: both of those you can start with next to whatever you already do for a living and only dive into once you've got some established success.

>And I'm also at fault for equating money with success.
if it doesn't pay the bills you'll have to quit and return to stacking boxes. that'd mean no longer doing what you wanted in the first place so in a way you're not far off and anyone who says money doesn't matter is either allready rich or still has their parents to chip in.
instead of equating money to success i'd say equate self-sustainability to success.
>>
If u want it try to make it true. All people who really want it can achieve everything u just have to work rly hard.
In my situation I wana have a job that could support my life (withmoney) and live a normal life that I could be happy and do all stuff (doesnt require finance)
>>
So what I'm getting from the thread is that you may or may not make it? Just YOLO it?
>>
>>16552792
>second of all: yes you would be stupid for dropping everything for a career that every dickhead is persueing.

This is what I feel guilty about too, along with what you mentioned about money making. I'll try to view it differently.

It just never translates into passion. Shit if anything, my first response to the professor's question in the pic would be a blank for a few minutes.
>>
ITT: people recount stories of people succeeding at doing what they dreamed of and conveniently omitting the countless stories of failure since it doesn't support the romantic narrative of this thread
>>
>>16552356

i went to film school, came to la and tried to make it in the industry.

somehow i ended up managing an office for a psychic (which, incidentally, is something i totally would have loved if you told me id be doing this ten years ago), but i work light enough hours and get paid well enough that i can spend all of my spare time working on independent film projects.

so i guess what i mean to say is that there CAN be a balance. like the girl in that comic, you can find somethign that isnt EXACTLY what you think, but still allows you to do it.

theres also finding a really bearable job and spending all your spare time on what amounts to a hobby. becoming a poet isn't ideal as far as money goes, but becoming an english teacher so you can show off to students every years, hold a poetry club and all that might be.

what DO YOU WANNA DO op?
>>
>>16552356
That fucking image. It relies entirely on the answer to the question being a predictable "I want to be an artist!" crap.

I want to live a happy life making money and living quietly with my wife, taking her out to dinner, going on vacations every once in a while, etc., and I want the easiest route to do so. I don't give a shit if it's the most meaningless, brainless job in the world. If it's making a salary that I can use to spend with me and my wife, I want it.

As far as 'follow your dreams', I have hobbies and I want to keep them as hobbies. They are things like learning languages, etc. Just give me money to keep doing this shit and spend it with my wife please, I'll sharpen pencils mindlessly for the boss all fucking day I don't give a shit.
>>
>>16553264

sounds like a swell lady. is that what you are able to do now or?
>>
>>16553294
Well right now I'm still in college and graduating this upcoming year. But all I really want is a job which has insurance benefits and a salary big enough for us to life a comfy little lifestyle together. My wife and I have all kinds of plans of how much we'd like to budget each month and then go on a vacation every once in a while. She loves to stay home cleaning, is extremely good at managing and saving money, loves cooking, etc., and is fully on board with everything. I just want enough to have a little wine with her once a week and a movie, etc., and live happily together. She's looking for a part time job to keep her occupied on the side as well and actually has quite a lot of money put away in securities for retirement already. Meanwhile her family has a little inheritance and farming land they'd like to give us some day when we retire.

Ideally, I'd like to be an actuary, and then one day find a job abroad somewhere with her. That would be the dream. But that aside, I can happily aim for that goal while working any job that pays the rent for us in the meantime.
I'm happy this way, really, and she's happy as long as I'm happy, so I don't see why I shouldn't do this.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.