[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>literally get 100s on evertything. >even final presentation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: original.jpg (231 KB, 530x664) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
231 KB, 530x664
>literally get 100s on evertything.
>even final presentation and paper
>all quizzes are aced
>still pass with a 79% in the class
>all because I didnt do a 15pt survey, go to some student orientation thing worth 100, and didnt go to some bullshit out of school events that were worth 80 pts.

other than that survey everything i didnt do is literally just participation points. I participated several times in class but no i had to actually waste my time going to some places where i would have to sit down and not give a shit to get the points. i would have had a 93% otherwise....
someone please remind me why school is important? how can i say fuck you to school and become successful without it? its clear to me they dont give a shit about my future and i know its more than possible to become good at something without school

how? where do i start? im wasting too much money, effort, and time into this shit.
>>
>don't do what is required
>complain that you didn't get the marks 'you deserve'
Are you some kind of dumbass?
>>
>>16550184
school went from actually teaching us stuff to making us go to bull shit events that literally do not matter to what we are learning in class.

the concept of school in general is fucking gay nowadays. or at least here in the us its a fucking joke. thers some statistic showing 70% of chinese students cheating in college but still graduating. school is literally bullshit.

dont even get me started on my electrical engineering proffessor who caught us cheating on the final but still let us pass instead of reporting us. and this is a proffessor who actually cared about teaching his students.

why does this bitch gotta be so fucking anal.
>>
>>16550195
Because anyone can sit down and memorise a textbook, and then regurgitate it. Participation shows that you've a) absorbed and understand what you've learnt and b) you're willing to go above and beyond the bare minimum. I'm sure you were told that you would get extra marks for attending these things right from the start, don't complain when you don't get those marks and don't pass with a grade you're happy with.
>>
>>16550195
Stop bitchin' about it.
Nobody's stopping you. Quit school, start a business, become a billionair. It's easy. Just get a garage and your superior intellect will convert it to a money-printing press.
>>
>>16550171
>I got a hundred percent in everything except for the things I didn't do
Wow. Profound. Glad you aced a class, OP. Clearly that one class represents the entirety of what school has to offer.

Please kill yourself
>>
>>16550195
>dont even get me started on my electrical engineering proffessor who caught us cheating on the final but still let us pass instead of reporting us. and this is a proffessor who actually cared about teaching his students.

There were several cheating cases that were caught in my engineering school. In every case the professors made it easy to cheat. They could have reported it, but the students would have called him out on using the same exam for 2 classes hours apart which is a no-no. ABET would have been up the professor's ass.

Life does not have a fixed set of rules. Those who know how to game the system can do well for themselves. Honesty and hard work lose out to lying and nepotism.
>>
My biggest problem with your post is that you question why school is important rather than why grades are important. The latter is an amazing question. Why are we so obsessed with quantification? You either have learned the material adequately or you haven't. A grade processed internally (in the prof's records) is needed to make that determination but it doesn't need to define your academic history. All you need to have on your end is a yes or a no, pass or fail. I love schools which offer classes under that regime and I wish it was expanded even further.

But your question is just angsty garbage. Fuck off.
>>
>>16550233
>Honesty and hard work lose out to lying and nepotism
op here. this is exactly what im trying to say. ive gotten better grades cheating than i have actually doing the work.

>>16550234
grades arent important at all. its not a measure of how "smart" you are. but ive had several people tell me school is not important. graduates have told me. engineering graduates have told me ffs...

after years of pulling my hair out for school im beginning to realize exactly this >>16550233.
Its obvious to me that actually spending time and effort to learn something is only making it harder. I should just graduate with my BA by any means possible. cheating or otherwise. i mean fuck, a degree by itself isnt worth much anyway, nowadays u need experience too.

If anything I should bull shit my way to my degree but while im doing so i should really be focusing on internships or get some experience related to my field.

honestly though, fuck school.
>>
>how? where do i start?
Start doing what you want to be doing if you didn't go to school; start building yourself a portfolio.
>>
>>16550296
What are your options exactly? If you can't get a job with a degree, can you get a job without? How much more debt do you need to finish?

Try using school as a means of networking. Stay in school and just perform average. Join as a voluntair that organizes recruitment stands at your local school or whatever. If non exist, start one. You will get in touch with a lot of people.
>>
>>16550324
my family came from a poor background and moved to the us 16 years ago when i was 10yrs old.
all my parents pushed on me and my brother was school. They were so convinced that by being tough and strict on us with school we would be successful ppl one day.

until one day our good family friend working as an electrical engineer got laid off. he managed to find a job quickly afterwards but to get laid off as an engineer?? i never thought it be possible.
even my parents are trying to convince my brother now to pick up vocational or trade school instead of getting into debt for a piece of paper before he gets too far into school ( he just started).

>Try using school as a means of networking. Stay in school and just perform average. Join as a voluntair that organizes recruitment stands at your local school or whatever. If non exist, start one. You will get in touch with a lot of people.

jesus ive had better luck doing these things in life in general. but yeah school is a perfect tool for just that. heres another example.

>meet fellow student
>become friends
>he is crazy extroverted and talks to everyone
>i dont
>all he does is talk with everyone to get past semesters exams, and homework answers to cheat.
>mfw his talking and cheating actually got him an internship where he can actually learn useful skills and make even more good connections and even get trained and hired by that same company after graduation.
>mfw i actually try to learn and all i got was a shitty grade after alot of effort.

im going about school all wrong. damn...
>>
>>16550372
>im going about school all wrong
You sure are. Don't blame your parents for this either, I have similar parents who stressed the importance of education on me and my brother, but we weren't stupid enough to think grades were all that matters
>>
>>16550372
Yeah. I'm not very smart when it comes to inter-relationships. And I'm very immature and slow learner. I'm soon 31 for fuck sake.

Anyway, I'm starting to believe that we look at life upside down. I realize that I'm dealing with people that are much more socially adept then I am. They will read me like a fucking book.

It's like girls. They will sense your desperation and get repulsed. I believe it's the same way with work. When they sense your desperation they will believe your motivation for the job is wrong. That you are desperate and will take anything. That shouldn't be the case. They should hire you because you are so fucking awesome!

I got a really good connection with a fellow student. He is very good at networking. He recently got an investor to sign him a 6 figure investment. And he did exactly what I suggested. Organized shit with corporations and meet the right people.
>>
>>16550402
im not blaming anyone. its just that after so many years of convincing its a fucked up realization for me.
>>
>>16550462
Hopefully you now realise the value of the stuff you thought it was bullshit.
>>
File: iron giant .jpg (12 KB, 400x166) Image search: [Google]
iron giant .jpg
12 KB, 400x166
>>16550195
>school is a fucking joke
>this sucks I deserve an A
>>
protip: the world doesn't give a fuck if you're smart. Those "points" you're chasing and which you didn't get were put there so that the dumbest students could get what is essentially a participation grade so that they could succeed too. The world doesn't give a fuck whether you're smart; they only care whether you're going to be an obedient little wageslave, paying off your student loans while you work some mind-numbing job in order to make money for the company's owners.

People who think "school" is about education are fucking deluded about the real nature of the world nowadays, it's not about teaching the next generation - it's about loading up the next generation with massive debt (and reaping the profits) so that there's an entire generational workforce out there so desperate to stay financially afloat they'll all compete with each other for the "goal" of getting a job (to make money for someone else).

I don't know what we all should actually do about this, but you're correct in noticing that shit is fucked up beyond belief.
>>
>>16550372
>until one day our good family friend working as an electrical engineer got laid off. he managed to find a job quickly afterwards but to get laid off as an engineer?? i never thought it be possible.

Engineers have always been disposable workers who have the skills to make things work in the real world.

Job hopping is not a bad thing in 2015. A company's loyalty to employees is non existent. The only meaningful raises you will get are from switching jobs.

>recently started as a temp at a new job
>training me from the ground up
>co-workers are good and the company sounds decent
>low turnover in my department
>odds of getting hired full time are good
>decent pay for the responsibility and difficulty of work
>will move on in 2-3 years for a bigger paycheck

>>16550864
For a pencil pusher type job college is not necessary, but they require it now. More specialized jobs, especially in science and engineering, do use a bit of what you learned in college. If nothing else science and engineering majors teach you how to learn quickly.

There are still viable avenues for those willing to bust their ass physically and live frugally. Some trades can be picked up on the job by working your way up from the bitch boy.
>>
File: TimeMag.jpg (350 KB, 1024x1365) Image search: [Google]
TimeMag.jpg
350 KB, 1024x1365
>>16550171
I took a critical thinking class, the 'professor' was one of those ultra liberals. Anyways, I got 90's on everything, did every assignment. She asked me a question and I answered it honestly. She made almost a hissing sound. I finished the class with an 80. I talked with the dean, he understood my position, I had proof my work as well. I got it bumped up to 95.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.