[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Late start to music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: tumblr_nhdriyDC861qa19lvo1_1280.jpg (394 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nhdriyDC861qa19lvo1_1280.jpg
394 KB, 1000x667
Anybody ever have a late start getting into music? I'm in my 20s and I've been wanting to get into music for about three-four years but I don't know much of anything about music theory. I want to at least be functional at making music but I don't think I can even achieve that much at this point, like my brain just can't hack it anymore.

What do you guys think?
>>
>>16542124
It's possible, but it's going to be a lot of work. I'm going to college right now for music, and one of the best guitarists around started just a few years ago. He had no music background in high school, came to be a singer, but that wasn't working out. He stumbled upon guitar, and fell in love. About four years later, he's now in the top jazz band, and getting his master's in jazz pedagogy. Granted, he spent every waking minute of every hour of every day studying and practicing in some manner, but he's a phenomenal musician. I've played guitar for about 10 years as a side thing, but I can't hold a candle to this guy, he's put that much work into it.

Point is: no, it's not too late. If you want to catch up to the guys around you, you'll have to work harder than them. Much, much, harder. One tip I'll give you is to embrace the monotony of practice. You're going to practice really simple techniques, over, and over, and over, and over, and over again, sometimes for hours on end. There is nothing exciting or magical about practicing, especially when you're taking things at an incredibly slow pace, but you need to have that patience and extended focus to get better.
>>
>>16542124
I started at 18 with a bass and I wish I had more time now and practiced more in the past.

If you have time, go on. Is the best thing in the world, except for reading.
>>
>>16542124

I say start where five year olds start - learn to read music.

Older people tend to try and learn to play by ear, that is why they usually never get anywhere with music.
>>
>>16542124
show us ur tits
>>
Please be more specific about what kind of music/ what instrument/ what era of music you want to be functional at.

I am a music teacher. Piano. And Im developing a method of teaching people like you. So I'm curious.
>>
>>16542651
I'd like to get into guitar and piano.
>>
>>16542651
I am interested in this
>>
>>16542124
i have been playing guitar for 5 years. I played once in my school and it was one of the most entertaining things i have done.

sometimes it gets boring. and then you have to find something that encourages you again.

playing guitar , and knowing a little about musical theory is one of the abilities i most value on me.

So yeah , you should go for it as a hobby
>>
File: 1445757172221.jpg (212 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
1445757172221.jpg
212 KB, 1080x720
bump
>>
I started learning piano at 18. Started playing in pubs at 19, i'm now regularly playing in theatres, teaching students at home. Still haven't cracked working in proper schools yet but i'm working on it.

Just practice everyday and you will have it cracked in no time. It's made my life at least 100x better, i feel smarter, more alert, my hands work better, less aches and pains. Do it.
>>
>>16543232
Did you learn alone? How? Did you teach yoursel how to read music?
>>
>>16543244

Yes i taught myself. In the first 3-6 months i watched youtube tutorials which are a godsend. There's also a program called Synthesia. You load midi files into it and it will show you which notes to hit, like guitar hero. That was a great help.

Nowadays i learn all the stuff by ear. Part of the reason i'm not teaching in schools is that i don't read music well enough yet, so that's something i've still got to work on.

Best advice? Don't get hung up on technique, but if one of your friends offers to show you how to play a song, listen to them, and try and copy how they position themselves. I wouldn't recommend going to a music teacher, especially a piano teacher, until you've learnt at least 10, maybe 20 songs, because they will make music seem boring and formulaic, when in reality the best way to learn is by having a bash around with some notes and figuring it out yourself. You don't need to read music, you don't need to have perfect posture.
>>
File: 1446575096977.jpg (173 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
1446575096977.jpg
173 KB, 1080x720
bump
>>
>>16542124
i think it is possible
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/06/playing-an-instrument_n_4903835.html
>>
File: 1448395003670.jpg (57 KB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
1448395003670.jpg
57 KB, 540x360
bump
>>
>>16542192
like this guy says
It's all about the total hours put into practicing and learning.
>>
>>16542124
>>16543220
>>16543764
>>16543939
Who are these semen demons?
>>
>>16543946
First one is Magic Buffet from Tumblr, don't know the other girl.
>>
>>16542124
There's no such thing as too late. If you want to do it, do it. I started when I was 18 (I'm 21 now) and I've found music has really enriched my life in many ways. I used to think I was too old, but with just a little regular practice, you can go a long way in just a couple years.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.