[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going to pick up a 2 month old kitten tomorrow. I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6
File: _nIu8KHX.jpg (114 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
_nIu8KHX.jpg
114 KB, 1200x1200
I'm going to pick up a 2 month old kitten tomorrow. I'm driving 1.5 hours to get her. What should I bring with me? Litter box and blanket? I don't want her pissing all over my gf on the ride back
>>
>>16529915
>I don't want her pissing all over my gf on the ride back
Well what the fuck do you expect it is a kitten. Expect pissing and shitting and vets for the first couple of years.
>>
>>16529915

You're definitely, definitely going to need a cat carrier. Like a nice small one. Because it may very likely freak the fuck out in a car ride, fair enough it probably has never been in one before and it sure as FUCK isn't going to use a litter box in your moving car, it will just piss itself or shit itself. When I brought my shelter cat home he shit himself but he used the litterbox perfectly fine at home. Just be understanding and limit the ability for it to shit everywhere by having it in the carrier. It is very important that you get a cat carrier because it could freak out so bad in a moving car that it actually would scratch you while driving or something nuts.
>>
>>16529918
Wat? Anyway, I always picked my kittens either from streets/bus stops (strays) and yeah, once got pissed on because didn't have box, had to carry him in my arms and he was scared. Also when I took my old cat in a fabric bag to a vet she pissed in it because she's mean. Kitten will prolly piss and poop in the box during your ride byt it's normal, I would advise taking two (or three) boxes so when he pisses over in one, you can toss him into the second, that way he won't have to soak in piss/poop. Take some paper towels and lovin and you're ready to go.
>>
>>16529933
Yeah this, I took my 6 week old kitten home in just a blanket but he was squirmy as fuck. I wasn't driving so I just wrapped him up tight, but it was still an ordeal. When you get them home let them hang out in a kitten-proofed room for the first few days because they're nervous as fuck and will disappear. Can't tell you how many panic attacks when I couldn't find mine for the first few weeks. They're super small and they can get into anything and hide ANYWHERE
>>
>>16529940
I just realised you didn't even mention the bod, wtf man. Have a carton box with holes in it or a proper pet carrier. I couldn't be arsed to get a carrier so transported my cats in a boxes and they did fine. Like anon above mentioned, you don't let the kitter roam in your car, it can kill itself or make a poop explosion or distract you so badly you'll have an accident and die
>>
File: 2015-12-03 22.49.43.jpg (927 KB, 1439x809) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-03 22.49.43.jpg
927 KB, 1439x809
>>16529943
>they can hide anywhere

When my kittens were little they loved hiding under my bed and falling asleep
>>
>>16529950
that's adorable lol. But thanks for the advice guys I will bring the necessary boxes and lots of extra newspapers and paper towels and blankets and such. Also I was going to put a bell collar on her so that she doesn't get lost in my apartment. I don't have a kitten proof room nor do I know what that means. When I had my puppy at my parents house we had him in a fenced area in my kitchen so he wouldn't piss and shit all over the place so we could keep an eye on him and take him out when he sniffed a lot.

Also completely off topic but my gf is allergic to cats. Not from touching them or their fur but when they scratch her she gets an allergic reaction. She wants to get our kitty declawed. Does anybody have experience with this? I've never had a kitten, only a dog at my parents and the most we have to do is get his nails clipped
>>
>>16529915
Thank god, an actual legitimate advice question. All you need is a blanket, and one of this little animal carriers.
>>
>>16530042
don't get your cat declawed, it's fucking cruel
>>
>>16530048
This, honestly cats need their claws for many reasons; your gf should stop being a pansy and either endure, or avoid situations in which the cat may scratch her or not get a cat at all.
>>
>>16530042
Getting a cat declawed is really harmful to them. It can cause a whole host of behavioral issues and the cat will never be able to walk without pain- it's equivalent to cutting off the first digit of our fingers and toes. Keep your cats claw's trimmed and give them scratching posts and toys to play with (wands and things it can attack), do not play with your cat by hand under any circumstance so it doesn't come to see hands as things to scratch.

As a kitten it's still going to mess up and scratch people or try to climb on them. Be calm, be patient. It hasn't learned better. Don't let you or anyone the cat comes in contact with indulge this behavior, and if all else fails get those nail caps for your kitten. But don't declaw it.
>>
>>16530078
So is it like a ferret where if it bites or scratches you you should flick it on the nose? Or like a dog where you just yell NO! And then they stop and when they are behaving well you give it a treat to reward good behavior??
>>
>>16530042
As other anons have said, don't declaw. It is painful and debilitating. Lots of declawed cats stop using the litterbox after the procedure because their paws are in pain and the feel of the litter aggravates them. That's just one example of change in behavior that can occur.

BUT they do make cute little kitty claw caps that you can stick on their claws to stop scratching. It is work to get your cat comfortable enough to let you handle their paws, but they can get used to it if you ease them into paw handling gradually and gently. And caps are much better than declawing. They're cheap (especially compared to surgery and post-surgery treatment) and effective and don't cause longterm damage. They need to be reapplied regularly because they'll fall naturally off as the claw grows, so they're not permanent if you decide to stop using them.
>>
>>16530429
Honestly if you can get your cat to actually let you put those on and then wear them, mine as well just trim them yourself.

I have a cat that lays there and let's me trim hers but her sister goes apeshit when I try to do hers
>>
>>16530328
Negative reinforcement doesn't often go over well on cats. If you discipline a cat with force after it's accidentally or purposefully hurt you it may just think you're trying to pick a fight or play rough back and it can try to fuck your shit up worse in response.

Treats to reward good behavior are useful but I personally find it confusing to try to figure out when you reward an animal for not doing something. Then you're just coming up and giving treats for no reason when they're not doing anything and I don't know how that sends a message. I do like giving my cat treats, though.

Best method for cats is to not give them incentive to perform bad behaviors in the first place and to make sure they have alternatives to practice their natural behaviors on that are preferable to fucking with shit. So, yeah, give it toys to play with instead of fingers and scratching posts to scratch like the other guy said. If it does scratch you obviously don't reward it but try not to hit it or anything either. Just direct its aggression to a toy or something and wait for it to calm down.
>>
>>16530435
I actually like trimming better but recommend the caps for other cases because I'm always unsure how someone newer to cats will keep track of their trimming schedule and I think trimmed nails can still scratch a little. Personally I like my cat's claws sharp- she uses them a lot. An advantage to the caps is you know to apply a new one when the old one falls off.

Oh and if anyone that hasn't trimmed a cat's nails before is considering it: make sure you look up how to do it beforehand. If you cut too much there can be a little bleeding. I think having cornstarch can help stop bleeding from an overcut claw if there's an accident so have it on hand.
>>
>>16530489
Is that something you do often? We just give our cat cardboard regularly and got him a nice post. Don't most cats take care of their own nails, or is our littlw dude weird?
>>
>>16530463
when cats do something wrong, the best thing to do is immediately stop interacting with them, walk away into another room, and just ignore them for a few minutes. they hate it and will cut it out pretty quick
>>
>>16530522
cats sharpen their own claws but for human sanity you should trim them up every now and then. my cat gets his razor sharp and can cause damage accidentally once they get to a certain length. he is annoyed when i trim them because he has to sit still, but he just waltzes off after and starts sharpening them up again
>>
>>16530522
My cat has two cardboard scratchers she uses,and a post (and unfortunately, my now ruined couch), but I have hardwood floors and when I noticed she was making click clacking noise wherever she went and that I could see her claws as she walked around even when she wasn't using them, I realized she needs a trim once in a while.
>>
Wow you guys are all awesome. Thanks for the helpful tips and experiences.

I'm scared to cut them myself because I know my dad tried to cut my dog's nails and hurt them and made them bleed by accident and they didn't even come near him for a week. He never cut them again and scared them so I'm worried there. Plus when I get my other dog's nails trimmed at Petsmart they also grind them so they aren't sharp around the edges. I've never heard of caps but that reminds me of kitten mittens (always sunny in philly reference). Also how do cats know they are supposed to scratch a scratch post as opposed to a couch? And does the scratch post keep them trim so you don't have to worry?
>>
>>16530560
>cats hate being ignored

Not sure about this one. When I'm paying the least attention to my cat is always when she seems to like me best.
>>
>>16529915
Go ask /an/

They will know better what's best than this relationshit board.
>>
>>16530633
A cat will choose a post over a couch because it likes the post better. Sometimes I worry that's partly a matter of luck. Scent and location affect their decision to scratch something. Lots of people rub catnip on their scratchers to encourage their cat. They also make cat repellents for couches like tape and sprays. I'm trying a spray repellent on my couch (i think it has rosemary in it?) now but it's not working for me so far. Once a cat chooses its scratching spot/s it'll come back to there often because scratching leaves a scent mark behind it will return to and want to freshen up as it senses its fading.

My vet has given my cat a manicure and pedicure before but never did any kind of filing, just the trim.
>>
>>16530649
In addition to this you should look for a scratching post that is stable- it shouldn't topple over, and it should be as tall as possible so that the cat can fully stretch out even as an adult. A lot of cats will avoid scratching posts that are unstable, and don't like short scratching posts nearly as much.
>>
>>16530634
??? which just confirms my point
when you aren't paying attention to them, they are desperate for your attention

i don't see how what you're saying isn't in support of what i said
>>
Props on you for coming here to ask about this -- I know a lot of people who got cats and didn't bother to do their homework and it just pisses me the fuck off. Nothing is more angering to me than somebody treating an animal poorly, not even out of malice, just out of laziness. Other folks have given you good advice so far -- these are just a few elaborations.

When cats misbehave, it usually means something is wrong with them or with their living space. Cats are not like dogs, they don't get random dominance issues and have to be corrected; if your cat is peeing everywhere or pooping outside the litter box or something similar, odds are excellent it means he's either not feeling well, or something is upsetting him. If you've put some thought into it and can't detect any obvious stressors (sometimes shit like moving the furniture can upset them -- yeah, it's frustrating) then it's time to take him to the vet. As mentioned negative reinforcement isn't very effective with cats; under no circumstances should you rub his nose in the pee or "show him what he did", only idiots do that. If you do need to use negative reinforcement (sometimes you do just need to make the cat cut out whatever he's doing RIGHT NOW), use a stern "NO" or at most a spritz of water, obviously never physical force.

You do need to trim your cat's nails, even if he frequently uses a scratching post. If you get him started on it young he'll probably let you do it without too much trouble.

If I think of anything else really key I'll post it in a little bit -- my laptop's about to die so I want to submit this first.
>>
>>16530706
I just feel like she takes me ignoring her as some kind of invitation for her to come over, but when I do pay any kind of attention to her like looking at her she acts like it is very discouraging and she's less likely to want to chill.
>>
>>16530633
cats have different preferences for scratching materials and "shapes". some like cardboard, some twine, some fabric, some carpet. some cats like scratching on an incline, some a post, others flat. you just have to figure out what your cat likes. but i agree - if it has a post that suits it needs, and that it has access to all the time, it shouldn't scratch anything else. once you find one it likes, it's probably just a matter of making sure there are enough distributed around the house that nothing else seems more convenient. a scratching post will *sharpen* your cats claws. additionally, their claws shed so scratching gets rid of their little hangnails if you will. but it won't trim them. you have to do that. it's really not hard and you should start while they're young so that they don't fight you later in life. it's pretty easy not to hit the quick (the part that bleeds) - the claw is translucent and you can see where the quick is. if you do nick it - cornstarch will stop it, but your cat will not trust you haha. you just have to trim off the sharp tips, so you don't have to cut off that much. and it doesn't have to be a clean trim or anything - basically don't fuck with their claws too much because they know how to "file" them themselves and you'll probably just make it worse.
>>
>>16530649
Texture matters too, cat to cat. My cat quickly knew to scratch a sisal post but wouldn't touch a cardboard scratcher for over a week until after my roommate's cat had had a go on it. I've seen other cats that liked scratching treebark outside.
>>
>>16530707
if your cat is eliminating outside of the litter box - ALWAYS take it to the vet to be checked out first. kibble diets are notorious for giving cats kidney problems, utis, and crystals.

if the vet okays it, then you can investigate external factors. but i absolutely agree w you on feline behavior. a lot of people say their cat is doing something out of vengeance, because it's "mad" at them, or because it's "a dick" but this all shit humans project onto animals. cats don't feel "anger" and aren't evil masterminds who do shit just to piss you off. they just wanna let you know something is wrong. my cat went through two separate phases of peeing on my bed. the first was because i was seeing someone (who was sleeping on his side of the bed, mind you). after i bothered introducing them and my boyfriend at the time made an effort to bond with him, he stopped doing that. the second time we figured out was because he was being locked in my room while i was gone by a roommate, and this made him really fucking anxious. once he was being let out, he magically stopped.

what people don't understand is that dogs will behave the way you want them and adjust to your life. cats won't. you have to adjust to living with a cat. there are some things you just have to accept when sharing your space with a cat (not fully domesticated, mind you) and particularly with certain cats. like my cat is a greedy bastard and will eat literally ANY food you leave out. do i get mad at the cat? no, i just put my damn food away. a relationship with a cat is about compromise, not getting what you want.
>>
>>16530728
Same guy -- in principal I agree with you about taking it to the vet first -- but the unfortunate truth is vet bills can get expensive and plenty of otherwise good pet owners can't afford the "drop everything and take it to the vet" approach. I wouldn't judge somebody who cast around for possible stressors first, presuming no other symptoms.

When I say that, I'm talking for like, a few days at most, to be perfectly clear. Not an extended period.
>>
>>16530707
>or at most a spritz of water
I disagree with the water method. It always seemed to me that it stresses cats out even more than actually laying hands on them. While I don't support using physical punishment on cats, I have to admit I have resorted to tapping my cat's nose in certain limited situations. I only do this while accepting the possible consequence she may give me a smack back with her paw. Besides, by the time I could run to the nearest spray bottle my cat's usually stopped doing whatever was bothering me in the first place, and punishing a cat after the fact instead of during is even worse and does no help at all.

>under no circumstances should you rub his nose in the pee or "show him what he did"
This I can agree with from experience. Most cats take to litter training very easily and have no problem with it. But for the longest time (months) after I got my cat she would not use the box and I was too stupid to figure out why. Finally I realized it was because I'd tried to switch her from a clay litter she'd had at the animal shelter to a pine based litter cold turkey. But before I figured out I'd fucked up I of course would catch her pissing and shitting around the house all the time. And I'd naturally freak out a little seeing her piss on my stuff right in front of me and want to move her to the box. This resulted in her running away from me and getting spooked every time. Of course the problem was fixed eventually and we both figured things out and now she uses the box no problem.

But now years later, it has clearly affected her behavior. Now nearly every time she pisses or shits she leaves the box in a fight or flight mode. She gets extremely skittish and needs to run around a bit and bounce off the walls to burn some energy before she can calm down again.
>>
it will likely be too scared to pee.

Ideally you want a cat carrier and a blanket over top and one inside.

OR a box, with a blanket/towel inside, and you can fold the lid securely.
>>
>>16530048
>>16530078
> muh animal rights
If only the claws are cut and not the surrounding tissue, then there's virtually no pain for the cat. It's only when you cut the padding that it makes it difficult to walk.
>>
>>16530781
fuck off
>>
>>16530781
That's not true. As an example if you had your fingernails removed down to the bed, it would hurt. And cats' claws are much more involved with their paws and paw usage than our fingernails. It's been considered comparable to having the first digit on each finger surgically removed.

Anybody unsure about declawing can go ask /an/. They've had the debate hundreds of times and always have sources on both sides of the issue on hand. Majority over there are strongly against declawing, as are many vets. It's even illegal in some countries because it's been proven to be so harmful and cruel.
>>
>>16530781
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. The overwhelming opinion of the veterinary community is that declawing is unnecessary, cruel, and counterproductive, and should have been discontinued as a practice decades ago. It's not just PETA and a bunch of hippies, it's ... really, everyone, everyone who knows their shit, anyway. I'm not usually one for appeals to authority but your opinion in this case is only so much hot air.

And declawing is never "just the claw." That makes no sense. Part of the digit itself -- and some bone -- is ALWAYS removed.
>>
>>16530781
>mocking animal rights
>as if he isn't an animal by definition
>>
>>16530800
>>16530796
>>16530789
yeah well, cats that scratch suck
>>
>>16530823
Then don't be a shitty owner. I've literally never not has cats -- since I was fucking born -- and never had a problem with that. If your cats are scratching, that's on you.

And it's simply not up for debate that declawing, on average, makes cats more destructive, not less.

Oh, for fuck's sake, why am I responding to you. It's late, I guess.
>>
>>16530823
And babies that cry suck but we don't cut out their vocal chords.
>>
>>16530328
In my experience a cat will not deliberately scratch you if he knows that it's your finger. However when I play with him and swipe my hand under a blanket or something, and he attacks my hand from above, he goes full claws on it, maybe cause he isn't fully aware that it's my hand. I don't mind some cat scratches though.
>>
>>16530834
Of course, when you play with them vigorously or scratch them all over they can get overstimulated and then the claws go WHAPPITYWHAP WHAP WHAP at whatever's nearby. You kinda have to do that on purpose, though.
>>
>>16530692
I can confirm. I bought mine one of those fancy scratching trees and she only started using it after I fastened it to the wall and floor with tape and screws.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Confirming hiding kittens
>>
>>16529915
For the ride over
>cat carrier
>towels
Just fold up a towel and put it at the bottom of the cat carrier.
It could freak out because of the moving vehicle.
But I picked up a cat once from a friend who was moving and the cat sat on my lap and fell asleep the ride back. So it depends on the cat's personality and if it really likes your gf or not.

I'd also recommend getting some toys (balls that jingle, toys with cat nip inside, a rod with a string attached and a toy at the end of the string) and a bottle to feed it formula (2 cups milk, one egg, teaspoon of vegetable oil oil. whisked thoroughly then microwaved for about a minute) once it's in your house
>>
>>16530890
a 2 month old kitten doesn't need formula, it needs real food. for cats that's actually raw meat, but most humans are too stupid to realize that it give it kibble. kittens are fully weaned by 8 weeks old and most are on solid food before that
>>
>>16530905
No fucking shit. It doesn't NEED it and the cat obviously needs food, but toys and formula is a good way to get close to a kitten.
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 309x287) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 309x287
The most important thing is to call them "kitcats." That's my cutesy name for cats since 2012 and I'm trying to get it to spread. Shut up, you know it's cute.
>>
>>16530907
considering most cats become lactose intolerant after being weaned, it's actually still a bad fucking idea and you actually still don't know what the fuck you're talking about so fuck off
>>
File: pPETNA-5059441_main_t300x300.jpg (31 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
pPETNA-5059441_main_t300x300.jpg
31 KB, 300x300
>>16530890
Gonna have to say formula is bad for a cat that's left its mother unless prescribed by a vet. Check with your vet before feeding your cat prepared formula or any recipes.

If you really really want to give your cat milk, them cat sips these treats are available at petstores and are safe to give to weaned cats, unlike regular milk. They're not a substitution for food, though.
>>
>>16530928
Kitkat is a candy bar. Stop trying to force a meme.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.