[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Be commissioned as an officer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: Usmc.jpg (76 KB, 311x300) Image search: [Google]
Usmc.jpg
76 KB, 311x300
I graduate next May with a computer engineering BSE. I am interested in what joining the military with a 4 year degree has to offer. Pay wise and just overall is it worth it. A few questions:

How competitive is it? I'm not at the top of my class, but unless I fuck up I will graduate magna cum laude. Not sure if GPA matters all that much though. Basically, would I have decent chances actually being commissioned or should I not exactly bank on it?

Which branch would be best, considering my major? I don't care about being deployed, relocated, put in a dangerous spot with snack bar potential, etc. Just where the best opportunity would be for comp engineering major looking to be commissioned. I assume Air Force, but I have no idea.

Generally speaking, what kind of pay could I expect if hired/commissioned? Is it worth it overall with the benefits and such? I want to serve my country so there is that gratification of course, but I want to weigh this against going into the work force before making a decision.

Thank you.
>>
talk to a recruiter
>>
>>17370236
There's an enlistment thread on /k/. Yes, you're trying for commission, but it may help. A lot of initial entry stuff is similar.
>>
>computer engineering BSE

Navy or Chair Force.
>>
>>17370236
Well first off i dont understand why you didnt do ROTC while in college. You will enlist as an E-4 in most branches then will have the chance of going to OTS which is officer training school. You cant just commission with a bachelors.
>>
>>17370368
I have two more semesters, is that enough? If not the Marines website says I can do a 10 week OCS program after graduation, doesn't seem like a problem. The Air Force website says you just have to have a bachelor's degree.
>>
>>17370458
Is the two semesters enough for what? Rotc? Maybe, I think you need at least 2 years. You need to be able to pass the APFT. Can you run the mile time and push ups and sit ups?

You have to do officer training for all branches. You cant just commission after graduating college for the air force. You also go through their
OTS.
>>
>>17370508
On the spot I could probably do 40 push ups, not entirely sure about sit ups. A mile would probably take me 8 minutes right now. I used to be able to do one in 6, but it's been awhile and I just do enough cardio a few times a week to stay in half decent shape. Looking at the scores required to pass I don't think I would have a problem if I dedicated a few months to getting into good shape.

I was an athlete all through middle and high school, I'm not a fat neckbeard if that's what you were assuming by the comp engineering major. But have gotten a bit out of shape because I didn't do sports in college, engineering takes too much time.
>>
>>17370368
>You cant just commission with a bachelors.

Yes, you can. Straight into OCS. Happens all the time.
>>
>>17370578
I meant he cant just go straight to being an officer. Which is why i added all branches must do OTS.

>>17370560

No im just trying to make sure you understand what youre getting into.
>>
>>17370594
>OTS

The real military uses OCS

pls fix the portal airman
>>
File: this shit again.jpg (1 MB, 2100x1378) Image search: [Google]
this shit again.jpg
1 MB, 2100x1378
>Snap decision on joining the military
>Wants to know if the pay is worth it compared to the civilian sector
>Wants to be a marine but in a POG field

A few things OP....

1. You don't join for the pay. Yes, the pay is pretty good, and there are unique financial opportunities associated with it, but those aren't why you should join. If that's the mentality you go in with then you'll fucking hate it.

2. The muhreens are all about infantry. The Infantry officers get faster promotions, particularly to staff positions, and as an officer in a tech field expect to get treated as low priority.

3. If you can handle it, you'll see the world, have the opportunity to own multiple houses on multiple continents, and leave with a flush bank account.

4. Unlike most jobs, if you fuck up people die. The level of discipline and pressure is set high accordingly.

5. Junior officers are treated like niggers are in the south by Colonels and Lt Colonels (or in the Navy/Marines case Captains, their ranks are weird). They'll be perfectly polite to some Sargent, then turn around and try to make your ass cry for shits and giggles if they can. No joke.
>>
>>17370610
Navy ranks were a mistake

Shit is too shiny
>>
>>17370609
Sorry my recruiter says ots. Im just a dep kid.
>>
>>17370622
Your recruiter is a retard or Air Force
>>
>>17370629
Army
>>
>>17370236
airforce is your best bet or the navy
>>
>>17370629
Also arent all recruiters retarded kek
>>
You could become an officer in the air force. Just pass the AFOQT and the 2 month OTS. Read these

http://study.com/articles/Become_an_Air_Force_Officer_Education_and_Career_Roadmap.html

https://www.airforce.com/education/military-training/ots
>>
>>17370633
Pretty sure its OCS in the Army anyway

Not that it matters :^)

Funny story, know a chick that was on her way to be an officer and got a bunch of retarded tattoos and it disqualified her

Don't be that girl

>>17370640
gotta get more troop for dem programs critical manpower n shiet
>>
>>17370651
"You got a 40 on the asvab? You're pretty much already an officer!!"
>>
>>17370660
On a side note I wonder how EPR bullets look for cooks

Constructed over 10,000 square feet of omelette -- increasing mission readiness by 70%
>>
>>17370686
I have no idea what that means but i assume its a funny diss.
>>
>>17370236
Getting accepted to OCS is a cake walk for Army. All it requires is having a bachelors and building your packet with the help of a recruiter, this means doing a bullshit essay about yourself, and getting a few written recommendations, as well as passing a board interview for active duty. Reserves and national guard is a fuckton easier process.

In all 3 choices, active/reserve/national guard, you will still have to go to Basic Training, followed by graduating OCS to commission as a 2LT. national guard and reserves get to pick their own branch ahead of time based on the needs of their area. Active duty will branch based on the points they score on a merit list versus their fellow classmates. Source me, commissioned last July.
>>
>>17370610
>You don't join for the pay

Yes, I know. It's not my ONLY concern, but certainly it's fair to inquire about pay, no? It would be silly not to.

>The Infantry officers get faster promotions, particularly to staff positions, and as an officer in a tech field expect to get treated as low priority

If true then the Marines are probably not the branch for me. I used it as the image, but I also clearly said I was not sure which branch would be the best. I figured the Marines wouldn't exactly be opposed to recruiting engineers though. But for all I know the Marines don't really dabble with that end of things, as I said I don't really know, hence why I'm seeking advice.
>>
>>17370739

The Air Force is what I'd advise, because they give a shit about their personnel and their morale. There are always shit-talking faggots who go into the Army or the Marines, then immediately regret their choice due to shitty quality of life that they had every reason to anticipate going in.

Here is what I recommend: pick an AFSC that you might like, like 14NX (Intel field is cool), and spend a bit of time in. If you decide that you like the lifestyle you can probably reclassify as long as you're O3 or below and re-up.

If you have an engineering background recruiters may or may not pressure you to go pilot. Pilot slots are a 10 year commitment, but it's regarded as the best job in the Air Force.
>>
>>17370743
Air Force really is the way to go for quality of life. They dont call it the chair force for nothing.

I only joined army because air force "wasnt giving out any medical mos'".
>>
>>17370743
>>17370790

>really is the way to go for quality of life

I'd add one caveat: unless you're a combat airman.
>>
>>17370790
yeah I sure love useless chiefs and 6 different rape briefings a year because noners are so bored they rape each other instead of doing literally anything related to their job
>>
>>17370743
>If you have an engineering background recruiters may or may not pressure you to go pilot

Oh, I didn't realize pilot positions were offered to engineers (or at least I think that's what you're saying) - it's probably super competitive though right? I'll have to look into that.
>>
>>17370809

Ten year commitment though mang.

Pilot slots are pretty competitive. You can get one out of OTS, but it's not statistically likely. You have to really work for it if you want it.
>>
>>17370800
Are you trying to say air force rapes more than the army?
>>
>>17370813
>Ten year commitment though mang

I'll be 27 when I graduate though, which is another thing I'm worried about. I knew a dude that was a pilot and seems like he was in his 30s, but I know I'm approaching the cutoff on this for a lot of stuff.
>>
>>17370863

It's just a good idea to get a feel for the lifestyle before you go in.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.