[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can a doctor tell when you actually properly start your anti-depressants?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: shush.png (37 KB, 660x551) Image search: [Google]
shush.png
37 KB, 660x551
Can a doctor tell when you actually properly start your anti-depressants?
This is just out of curiousity?

Because i plan on starting today, but I was advised by last week.
>>
a doctor isn't supposed to actually be able to detect a difference in you. they're supposed to know you're feeling better based on the feedback you give them.

I wouldn't lie to your doctor. That makes the doctor unable to help, and leaves you without proper care.
>>
File: 1404156627420.jpg (34 KB, 550x513) Image search: [Google]
1404156627420.jpg
34 KB, 550x513
>>17369882
>taking benzos
>ever

Oh boy, get ready to have your shit fucked up, senpai
I know this might sound stupid but I am absolutely against antidepressants, I've seen several of my close friends fall for that shit and end up more fucked up than they were before
No matter how depressed you are, you have to come out of it with your own power, it strengthens your mind and soul, benzos will just give you false happiness, which will seriously fuck your mind up once you begin to put it together that the happiness you're feeling isn't really real
>>
>>17369897
who said anything about benzos

but yeah I avoid antipsychotics and antidepressants, as they're known to make the situation worse
>>
>>17369903
Antidepressants are all benzodiazepines, bruh
>>
>>17369897
>fuck your mind up when you start to realize the happiness you're feeling isn't real

I would say with percocets or maybe even benzos that is true, but I don't see what this has to do with antidepressants. they don't even work that well, and if they give a mild boost so that life can actually be enjoyed, that's fine.

what's ironic is how you said they don't work and then started talking about artificial happiness. that's contradictory.

i'm on your side about them not working too well. maybe they were only meant to be used on a few specific cases, but they're definitely given out like candy to people they end up giving side effects (often sexual)
>>
>>17369908
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine
>>
>>17369912
They don't work at taking your depression away
They only supress your mind so much that you begin to think that you're not depressed
Once you realize that's the case, though, and you're still actually depressed, you're gonna go mental
>>
>>17369915
they don't suppress your mind, they block the uptake of chemicals in your brain like serotonin or neurpronephren

on some level I agree with you that they might create a "false" sense of being content with things (not happy). people are supposed to take the drug and then go on to talk therapy where they change the things in their life that were causing them grief. the plan is not to be on an antidepressant forever.

that's like saying (and I wish antidperessants were not shit compared to antibioltics) that taking an antibiotic is a false state of not being infected with bacteria.
>>
>>17369928
Antibiotics directly affect the bacteria, though, they don't leave the bacteria alive and make you think you're infected
I've been depressed before and though I'm still not fully out of the thick of it yet, I'm glad I didn't go for the antidepressant route
The further you get with pure willpower, the less the chance that you will get severe depression later, because you learn how to deal with it on your own, rather than be dependent on drugs
But drug abuse is high in the world, because people think they're just magic pills that instantly take away everything that bothers you, instead of understanding that they're made for cooperation with your body and mind
>>
>>17369943
patients aren't tricked into thinking they're less depressed. they actually are less depressed. that's why I made the comparison to antibiotics. your body has its natural way of combatting grief and infection, but drugs help obviously (can't say enough I wish these drugs didn't have miserable side-effects for me).

I totally agree with you that willpower is the main force in recovery, and the only thing that will continue to matter once the medication has stopped. However, you don't have to choose "willpower or drugs". Someone who has willpower and drugs is wielding two things to fight the depression. There is no shame in using medication, except the shame people make up due to some half-baked philosophical thinking.

For example
"willpower is the most admirable way to get through a situation!"
okay

"anyone who takes drugs to get through a biological depression has no willpower and should be ashamed"
care to explain that one?
>>
>>17369965
>There is no shame in using medication
I agree, but there's an extremely high chance of becoming dependent on them mainly for the reason because you are depressed
When depressed you seek any way of getting rid of that feeling and when you start taking antidepressants, instead of becoming crutches to help you walk with your broken legs, you make them your new legs
That's why medication is so dangerous and the situation should be evaluated very carefully before prescribing anything
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.