[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CV Critique, Job hunting advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
Look at my CV and judge.
I've tried for the concise approach with the bullet points and shit but inexperience in writing a CV is making me skitz.

The previous job I got through a friend, so no CV required. It isn't finished, still have some extra details to input but is this what employers are looking for.
>>
Put your penis size, and how many girls youve fucked on your resume.
>>
When you go in for a job interview, place your resume on the floor and start having sex with it.
>>
If the interviewer is a woman, take out your penis, and rub your nutsack on her face.
>>
Communism is better than capitalism.
>>
>>17368078
>>17368070
>>17368059
>>17368052

You do know it's possible to see the numbers of different posters?
>>
Don't talk about yourself in the third person in your personal profile.

For your key skills, write a little blurb about them, where you've built them up and demonstrating that you have them. "Autonomously problem solving" tells the person reading the CV nothing.

Use proper headings, your education history line is formatted exactly the same as the dates and where you went. Also group them by school, not qualification.

You don't need that much detail about your education unless the job specifically asks for it. All you need is your qualification, and GPA/whatever your school uses. Maybe some course highlights if you think some are particularly relevant to a job

Education should be in reverse chronological order

Do you have any work experience that you can throw in? That's often where you can set yourself apart from others, even if it's a shitty part time job.

Don't forget to add your contact details, though I assume that you've just cut them out for 4chan.
>>
How could you let yourself graduate without an internship?
>>
>>17368088
>>17368088
Donald Trump getting bent over a table and butt raped by Justin Bieber.
>>
>>17368036
Fucking jealous as fuck dude.

My CV is so barren.

I bet you're looking at jobs that pay actual money.

FUUUUUUUCK why did I get a LIBERAL ARTS DEGREE KILL ME
>>
>>17368128
OP's CV is actually pretty empty, he's just made it look like it's not by talking up the few things he has done. His highest level of education is a bachelors (same as you) and he has no work experience.
>>
>>17368142
>>17368128
>>17368094
Okay for some reason it won't let me post at all in this thread even though I made this thread there is another page of to the cv with my previous employment and more skills added.

I have made some changes to it like you guys have pointed and reformatted it, chronological order n shit.
>>
>>17368422
Feel free to post it if you want more feedback. I'm >>17368094 and I'm still around
>>
>>17368036
>>
File: 2.png (47 KB, 566x666) Image search: [Google]
2.png
47 KB, 566x666
>>17368036
updated front page and yes I left out my contact details
>>
>>17368432
I had to turn of adblock. I was always told that the personal profile should be 3rd person and concentrated on what you thought yourself to be
>>
>>17368436
>>17368438
Like I said, spend less time talking about your education and more time talking about your skills and work experience. If you have a qualification, it's a given that you know what you're doing when it comes to bits that are relevant to it.
>>
>>17368439
I have never heard of that. Mine's in first person and I've had no trouble with mine. I've had my CV checked by people whose job it is to check CVs too.
>>
>>17368441
So you think I should just remove the module titles and just make a list of bullet points?
>>
>>17368442
Well our school was always dire when it came to teaching us anything about the real world
>>
>>17368444
If you want to mention the modules, just list/bullet point them and leave out the details. Elaborate on your work experience and key skills, that's where you can show a potential employer that you're different from everyone else who has your qualifications

>>17368445
Did you get in contact with the careers/employment office of your uni?
>>
>>17368449
Its OP here.
I have small amount of networking experience that i could apply to the CV i guess.

No the uni just threw us out there into the big blue world, my high school was the one that taugh me how to do this, evidently I am very rusty.
>>
File: 3.png (43 KB, 616x690) Image search: [Google]
3.png
43 KB, 616x690
>>17368454
It's looking clearer and more precise
>>
>>17368454
Regardless, you're getting advice now. In addition to elaborating on your skills and employment history, you don't need to mention that you attended Newcastle College twice. Put the college once, then mention the two qualifications and their dates under it.
>>
>>17368462
Should i elaborate how taking on the extra roles with my previous job acquired me more skill? and should I put them in under the previous employment part or just shove them under key skills
>>
>>17368462
Those bulletpoints look terrible. Take out the bulletpoints, shorten them to be only a couple of words, and then write a little bit underneath to demonstrate that you have them. For example, this is a bit from my CV:
>Excellent Time Management and Self-Management
>I manage full time study with two part-time jobs and a volunteer position. I also work well under stress and comfortable and confident in being left alone to complete a task, as can be demonstrated by my studies and volunteer work at <volunteer job>.

>>17368467
Your whole work experience section needs a lot more work. It should go something like this
>employer
>position
>date e.g. September 2014 - present
>key duties
Use the key skills section to demonstrate the skills you get from your work experience
>>
>>17368471
working on it
>>
File: 6.png (47 KB, 558x654) Image search: [Google]
6.png
47 KB, 558x654
>>17368471
something to this effect, I still have to edit the personal profile and add further experience
>>
>>17368489
That looks better. Keep going with that format for your key skills, but don't forget to tailor each version of your CV for the specific job you're applying for. Knowledge of cyberattacks might be completely irrelevant for a job, for example. Read through the job description and use that as a guide. Don't forget to throw in stuff like "works well in a team" (and a description of a time you worked in a team to demonstrate that you have the skill) if a job description specifically mentions that.

And don't forget to take some time to make it look pretty too.
>>
>>17368496
give me like 20 minutes if this thread is still up by then hopefully i can show it off to you! cheers for the advice man
>>
>>17368500
I do need to go to bed soon, but I'll see what I can do
>>
>>17368505
It's alright dude got to bed. Really appreciate the advice man, thank you so much anon
>>
>>17368036
In the personal profile, you said "using intuitive" when I think you meant "using intuition"
>>
>>17368036
>All that use of the word basic

Either you're very modest or only basically experienced. Embelish yourself bro.
>>
>>17368489
In your personal profile is it supposed to say Intuitive or do you mean initiative?

I am a sysadmin with ~6 years experience, if you applied for a helpdesk role I would strongly consider your latest CV edit.

Some change suggestions;

Under cisco routers and switches rather than "basic command line" I would say "some IOS CLI experience and configuration".
Also you kind of repeat the same information towards the bottom with "varied library of cisco command line"

Did you use much group policy? this is an important factor for most organisations so if you have experience with GPO you should add it.
>>
also any experience with powershell or scripting should be included
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.