[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to make myself repress a memory? There are some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 3145687846523184651.png (2 MB, 1000x1608) Image search: [Google]
3145687846523184651.png
2 MB, 1000x1608
Is it possible to make myself repress a memory? There are some things i want to forget ever happened.
>>
>>17368015
Everyone has things that they want to forget. Repressing memories, denying yourself, fleeing from your thoughts takes a great deal of discipline and will. You have to think of anything that's not the thing you're repressing. Run from it in your head. It'll piss you the fuck off and frustrate you greatly but if you want to repress it that's what has to happen.
Another thing you could do is be vocal about it, vent to your friends and lean on them for encouragement and support. You'll feel better after letting go of what's on your chest.
>>
>>17368045
thanks anon. I've tried talking to people about it but it didn't really help. the only person that gave me support was my sister.
>>
>>17368115
Then the path ahead of you is a long and difficult one. It'll likely take a couple months for you to no longer think about them, but keep fleeing those harmful thoughts OP. I have faith in you.
>>
>>17368015
Distract yourself and stay busy.
>>
>>17368015

If you piss in the deep end of the pool, is the shallow side clean?

You have to lean into it, Anon.

What happened?
What does it mean about you?
Does it actually say something about you, or the person that did something to you?
Have you convinced yourself that you deserved it?

Anon, whatever your thoughts are about the the memory, they are never going away, and they will only spread through your life like an infection.

You have to face it. You have to make peace with it.
>>
>>17368015
Yep. Fine grained control over memory is not only possible, but once understood, easy. Imagine it anon. Being able to strip associative links, remove the means for access, and then bury a cluster of memory such that you couldn't find it even if you came to try.

Not a good road to go down, and I won't tell you how. Learn to accept the past, or at the very least, learn to use it.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.