[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I cannot describe my reasons for doing some things (abstaining
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 143253725456.jpg (12 KB, 220x272) Image search: [Google]
143253725456.jpg
12 KB, 220x272
I cannot describe my reasons for doing some things (abstaining from some things, more accurately) except by the desire to not "fall from grace" so to speak. I'm not religious at all. I don't fear hell or hope for heaven. So, why do I feel bound to conventional, contemporary morals (etc) in so many ways, some very intense?
>>
Specifically: What is the allegorical meaning of this "heaven" I'm apparently seeking?
>>
>>17368004
because humans evolved a moral code in order to survive. millions of years of evolution are compelling you to behave
>>
A lot of people are ascetics, even if they aren't religious or spiritual. I'm that way. You probably don't see the "pros" of those activities outweighing their risks and negative consequences. Perhaps you greatly value self-control and self-restraint, and don't like to be out of control. Maybe you take pride in purity and your ability to resist temptation. Maybe things that are typically appealing for the majority just so happen to not be for you. There are plenty of reasons.
>>
>>17368004

I've never thought about it in such terms, but I feel similarly. I'm an atheist, but there's many ways I abide by conventional morals. I would feel some amount of shame to be bad. It's internal within me and I do it for myself, not due to a higher cause (like religion).
>>
>>17368007
yeah, I know this much, but I don't mean stuff like killing people, I mean certain stuff that varies a lot from society to society but isn't acceptable here and now, and also isn't "objectively immoral" to anyone involved if you want to pretend such a thing exists
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.