[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pick My College Major
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: 14582270976300.png (164 KB, 351x329) Image search: [Google]
14582270976300.png
164 KB, 351x329
I have to declare my major in sixteen days but I am good at nothing and hate everything. I would like to make enough money to be able to waste a great deal of it on autistic shit while still living comfortably. What pick?
>>
Software Engineering
>>
>>17367759
I don't want to compete with Indians here on HB1s willing to work for curry and a place to shit.
>>
What are your hobbies? What classes did you do well on highschool?

We can't make suggestions without knowing something about you.

But if all else fails major in math, and get a job at the NSA or as an actuary for solid job security.
>>
>>17367742
Maths
300k starting
>>
>>17367810
You wish
>>
Electrical or Mechanical Engineering. if that don't work you can try woman studies.
>>
>>17367809
>What are your hobbies?
I play video games, watch anime, masturbate, and hate myself. In that order. Also 4chan but that falls under hating myself.
>What classes did you do well on highschool?
All of them, I couldn't get a girlfriend so I had lots of time to study and do homework. Wouldn't say I enjoyed any of them except maybe history which has shit for careers.
>We can't make suggestions without knowing something about you.
I am barely even a human being.
>But if all else fails major in math, and get a job at the NSA or as an actuary for solid job security.
>>17367810
/sci/ pls.

>>17367815
EE is decent, I haven't looked into ME but I'll do that now. Don't have tits though so women's and gender studies won't work unless I start taking tranny pills and dye my hair some absurd color.
>>
>>17367825
It's not just a meme

My dad majored in math because he had no idea what he wanted to do in life.

He ended up becoming a geophysicist making bank for oil companies and later a medical physicist making bank treating cancer patients.

And the NSA is the #1 employer of math majors in the country.

But if you don't like math your primary alternative is medicine. So it comes down to do you like math, or memorizing the names of muscles and bones?

But I might be jumping to conclusions assuming you want to do STEM.
>>
Manufacturing engineering
>>
Fall for the meme like the rest of us and do computer science.
>>
>>17367832
>So it comes down to do you like math, or memorizing the names of muscles and bones?
My problem is I loathe the idea of every single career because I hate doing things. I just want to be NEET but with money, unfortunately that's not an option.
>But I might be jumping to conclusions assuming you want to do STEM.
I honestly don't know if I could keep up with the work load, but that's where the money is so I'll suck it the fuck up.

>>17367839
Sounds like saying engineering something or whatever would be wise, since there's a lot of sub fields and I'd be taking math classes anyways. Covers a lot of bases so I can change it to something I actually want when I figure it out.
>>
>>17367843
Pajeet my son, I don't want to work on the goddamn shitting street.
>>
Business, you make mad money handling other people's money
>>
>>17367832
How can pure math major become physicist and not mathematician?
>>
File: mathphd.jpg (34 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
mathphd.jpg
34 KB, 640x427
>>17367810
>forgetting your pic
shameful display /sci/
>>
>>17367850
>majoring in business
Anyone can get an MBA fampai.
>>
what do you want to do when you graduate?
>inb4 I don't know

this is why we need to stop pushing people to go to college right after highschool because its "what you're supposed to do"
>>
>>17367938
I don't know.

What would (You) recommend I do instead?
>>
bump for OP
in the same boat
I don't need to be Richard Branson
I just want to live comfortably off the radar and not work too hard
>>
>>17367742
>I have to declare my major in sixteen days but I am good at nothing and hate everything.
Sounds like you want a business major of some sort.
>>
>>17367742
Electrical engineering

Can't be outsourced to Pajeet because you have to be in-person
>>
File: 500.gif (2 MB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
500.gif
2 MB, 500x400
>>17367850
>>17368026
I always thought business was categorically a meme. It seems like the best 'business' jobs are taken by people who major in something relevant to the business in question and then get their MBA. Accounting drags up salary averages for Business™ majors making it look good on paper but in the nitty gritty it seems pretty shitty to me.

>>17368019
Always good to meet a fellow intellectual following the one true life path.
Being a lazy shite.

>>17368034
EE is on my short list right now. Still searching for other options. The bad thing is I did way too much math in high school so I can't just kill time taking math classes without deciding, so if I want to go EE vs a more physical "engineering" degree vs the academic mathematical sector I have to choose pretty damn quickly. I'd hate to have this crisis again next year when I have to specialize.

I wish autismbux paid more.
>>
>>17368042
Likewise! We're following the one, true path to happiness--leisure.

Agreed though on the business thing. Can someone here explain business as a major? I thought it was for young, healthy, attractive people who were fraternities or sororities that otherwise did fuck all with their lives except max out daddy's credit card.
>my daughter and her Merc go to college
pretty much that
or those people who major in communications that are athletes (read: basketball americans)
>>
Economics
>>
>>17367742
Pick one of the engineering degrees based on what sounds least boring. They all start out with about 50-60k+ starting salary
>>
ignore everybody.

Just look into the top most profitable degrees. Most of the top earning bachelor's degrees are engineering degrees (biomedical, petroleum, etc.)

If you'd consider a master, than some liberal arts degrees break into the top 10 as well, including being a physician's assistant, an economist, a statistician, or (surprisingly) a political scientist (the poli sci MA cracked the top 10 this year).
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.