[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I fucking suck at small conversations, telling stories and keep
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1438552391056.jpg (86 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1438552391056.jpg
86 KB, 1280x720
I fucking suck at small conversations, telling stories and keep people entertained.

Part of it comes from my total lack of emotions in my everyday life, but I also think I'm boring when I talk, I think I'm too "factual" and very little "emotional".

What can I do to remedy this? Do you think a theatrical arts (or whatever it is called) would help? What else can I do about it? Like, tips for answering, ways to making comments, etc.

Of course, I'm saying this because I spent three hours with a girl I really like, it was just and only the two of us, a drink and a big sofa just for us. I don't think the conversation was that all enjoyable and that she would like to have another one soon.
>>
>>17367615

You lack confidence, you overthink moments instead of savoring them. Whether you wanted to go further with the girl or not, you didn't push the conversation. You don't need to overthink it either, silence happens sometimes, it's good to master the silence, to decide when to shut up.

What can I say about conversations, I'll try to throw some tips :

> Talk at ease, don't bring heavy subjects, start with chitchat.
If you try to bring a complicated subject, that might make the person talk but you don't know the person and you will enter a confrontation, a discrete argument rather than an enjoyable conversation

> Adapt to the person
I am not saying that about the subject, but rather the form, how you will behave and what gesture you give her. You can talk about the same subject to 1000 people and still have a different conversation everytime

> Push her to speak, ask questions, opinions
Having a conversation is not making a conference, you must force her to talk and the easiest way to do it is to ask about things you know she will have an opinion upon. Something like " Wow, you drink. I drink that too, that's the best stuff in here, don't you think ?" (I'm using this example because I'm saying something that is a fact, I see the girl drinking her glass, I can assume she likes it. Do not use the same approach about anything, that might sounds stupid or needy)
> Try to show emotions when she speaks, interruption, even though it's rude can be use in a good manner. Stopping her to say "No really, how did that happen ?" "Well that must be nice" etc. Again, don't abuse it, just show interest

I can't think of something else right now. Just explore people in conversation, enjoy language and meta-language (the gesture, her eyes, looking at her or showing her a thing on the wall or some shit, etc)

I hope that helps you even a little, anything else you need to know ?
Good luck
>>
start making videos and posting them on youtube. Analyze yourself, improve, post more videos, repeat.
>>
You're going to hang onto some advice you get here, but the bottom line is that you'll never come off as funny, charismatic or intriguing as you want to be. Media has a lot to do with this.

It's important to recognize that fact so you don't try to Don Draper your way into a girl's bed. Simply try some redirection if you feel the conversation is becoming dry or forced.

Are you active? There are plenty of things to do outside that provide an excellent social lubricant. Bring a frisbee or a lawn game or a hacky sack or anything that can alleviate silence if that's what makes you uncomfortable. Take a walk down the block and grab a cup of coffee, or play a game together (Pokemon Go, if you're into it, is an excellent, excellent way to practice meeting new people and soft social skills).

Realize that you aren't Brad Pitt and that you need to offer more than interesting conversation.
>>
>>17367668
I really didn't go further. She has a boyfriend (and a quite bad relationship with him, that's why she spent that much time with me I guess) and I know that I have to go very slow.

About silences, I noticed that whenever I stopped talking she would keep bringing subjects. So that's a good thing.

About chit chat, this is where I suck the most. I fail to keep her going further and get really attached to the talk. I feel like she was just telling things, but I really wanted her to live the memory and I couldn't get it. I will have your advice of pushing her to speak to see if I can get more.

What I really want to be able to do is to keep people hooked to what I'm saying, but I guess that will only happen if what I have to say is worth listening.
>>
>>17367694
>worth listening

no fucking way. Have you heard the small-talk people use? I've heard entire conversations spanning minutes at a time focused entirely on what way the clouds were moving, and these were definitely not climate scientists.

there's a hidden conversation going on here, and it has nothing to do with what's coming out of your mouth.
>>
>>17367694

You want to be "le beau parleur", literally the beautiful talker. The person who can shut up everyone and make them agree with them just by saying random things;
Well... forget it. That's years of work, you must master the language, boost your charisma, improve your manners and the tone you're taking when you speak, use expressions, fake knowledge and look sharp and certain of what you are saying.
There is probably a few things might learn from that bad experience, learn to be more certain in your tone of voice, to speak less but with better words, to shut up also this is very important, if you want to be listened to, you can't be the joker who never shut up, you must be the silent type and when your opinion is needed, you state it as clear as you can.

But all I'm saying is for general conversation, this case is for you and your crush, she's probably into you or the talkative type, which is good for you either way.
>>
>>17367679
There are way too many youtubers, I think I'll keep it private.

>>17367682
You are basically saying to aim low and do stuff? I really need to start doing shit. I saw my father today after six months. One of his firsts comments was: "so, going from home to work and work to home as always?". He was sadly accurate on that comment. Some interesting things happen at my work, but I don't want to be the guy who has nothing else but work to talk about.

>>17367700
That's precisely what I want to achieve. I don't care if (in the case of the cutie I just talked to) it is just about her socks, I want it to be fun. But I can imagine myself talking about the properties of cotton or about how washmachines work.

>>17367709
Not so much. I want to be "that uncle" that talks about everything, makes people laugh and somehow leads the conversation to a different topic.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.