[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm helping a family member clean out their storage area,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: public-storage.jpg (48 KB, 640x483) Image search: [Google]
public-storage.jpg
48 KB, 640x483
I'm helping a family member clean out their storage area, and I need some advice.

She's past due by one month, and can't afford to keep the space any longer. I managed to scrape up some funds to cover the current balance, but I'm unable to cover the cost of a U-Haul to move the large furniture she has stored.

This leaves me with three options, which I need help with.
a) I can see if Salvation Army can do a pickup. I already checked Goodwill, and they don't do pickups in my area. I'm trying to see if there's other places in my area which will pick up without a fee, but it doesn't look likely.

b) Try to sell the furniture. The best option I can think of for this, since we can't move them ourselves, is to try to sell them as a lot on craigslist. Now, much of that furniture isn't that valuable, but there are a few good, yet old pieces there. I was thinking that it could go for about $300, with the buyer responsible for moving the items, which would be enough to both cover the money I paid for the storage area, and give her some extra spending money to last on for a few weeks.

c) After clearing out everything else, we'd just leave the furniture in there and not come back. This isn't the best idea, as she would be left with the growing bill.

Now, I want to go for the B option, but since I'm going to be cleaning as much as I can out on the 20th, that leaves me with a little over a week to try and get them sold before she's charged another month. Selling everything as a lot will likely scare people off, but it's the only way I can see in getting the storage area cleared out in time.

If anyone has any advice, suggestions, or know how in dealing with situations like these, I really need it.
>>
>>17367599
Call the local furniture bank. If you leave it there, it becomes the property of the storage unit. Yuuup
>>
nobody is going to haul away trash for you for free
>>
>>17367605
> it becomes the property of the storage unit.
despite what you might've seen on TV, it's not that simple.
>>
>>17367605
I took a look, and the closest one seems to be up in Philly, which is the next state over. They do do pickup though, so maybe I can get a pickup done.

The only problem is that they don't take mattresses, and a mattress is the biggest thing in there.

Queen size mattresses are a bitch.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.