[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /adv/ >Be me >23 years old >Recently graduated college
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: image.png (1 MB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 750x1334
Hi /adv/
>Be me
>23 years old
>Recently graduated college
>B.A in Psychology
>The only jobs offered in my city are social work related
>Got hired as a Family Case Manager
>18 dollars an hour
>Have to deal with drug addicts and all sort of criminals
>I fucking hate it
>I just realize how much I hate dealing with people in general

So yeah, I know now that I fucked up choosing Psychology as my major, but is there any way to fix my life? Would studying a masters in something else get me a better job? Should I get another bachelor degree? I also speak fluent Spanish and Portuguese so maybe something related to that? Please help!
>>
>>17367335
start your own practice where you get to choose the people that aren't gonna give you mental problems.
>>
>>17367344
I don't get it... how would I start my own practice? can you be more specific?
>>
Why in the fuck would you study psychology if you hate dealing with people? You never had this thought in the last 5 fucking years?
>>
>>17367393
I actually got my degree in 3 years.
>why
Because I really like reading books about human behavior. I loved studying Psychology and my original plan was to work on research Psychology but there are no fucking Psychology jobs in my area whatsoever. I live in Indiana so that might be a factor.
But yea, I'm not good dealing with people so I really fucked up. Any kind of advice would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>17367335
You should probably keep going with your education. A master's or PhD in psych will allow you to do research in a specific discipline; aka not druggies and criminals.

You have to make yourself more marketable. You said you really like the subject, so I think this would be your best bet.
>>
Ever consider marketing? Took a 4th year class called consumer behaviour and it was pretty cool.

Could try and tie some of that shit into marketing, people always want to know why people buy things.
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 625x415) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 625x415
>>17367619
I'm thinking of getting my PhD eventually but that would have to wait until I'm more financially estable. I'm looking more for a masters that would get me a job that does not require dealing with thieves, rapists, drug dealers, or hookers.

>>17367657
Actually I was considering business or marketing. I love Psychology as a subject, and I really wanted to help people, as a matter of fact I thought my calling was to help others, but after working for 2 months as a DCS Family case manager I just realized I don't want to deal with druggies; they just don't fucking care, are extremely rude, and a waste of my time and efforts. Besides that's fucking social work, there are almost no jobs for Psychology bachelors.
Can I study a masters on Business even if my bachelors is Psychology? I'm sorry if it's a dumb question but I'm not quite familiar with how American universities work. Thank you!
>>
>>17367446
>there are no fucking Psychology jobs in my area whatsoever
so start your own business, are you not qualified to be a therapist?
>>
>>17367446
With professional jobs it's normal to find your job anywhere in the world, and then move to it. This way you get to spend time in many of the worlds modern cities.
>>
File: Manglish-Slumber.png (35 KB, 600x700) Image search: [Google]
Manglish-Slumber.png
35 KB, 600x700
MS in Statistics
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 480x480
>>17367961
Sadly I'm not. I only have a bachelors in Psychology. And even if I was, I'm broke as hell so I would not be able to start my own business.

>>17367965
I will move out of Indiana eventually since I fucking hate it here. However I need to gather professional experience and save some money first. My job sucks but at least it puts money in my bank account and I'm getting some work experience, however I don't see myself doing this for too long. A masters in something would probably change my career path so I was asking for suggestions.
>>
>>17367961
A bachelors does not qualify you to be a therapist.

OP, a bachelors in psychology is, contrary to popular belief, really quite versatile. Just keep looking for jobs that require a degree, regardless of whether or not they seem to be related to psychology. My boyfriend majored in psychology (and stats) and is now a banker.
>>
>>17367978
If I was any good at numbers I would have got a STEM degree...
I'm not totally shit at math but let's say I took a college algebra class 2 years ago and even when I was trying really hard I only got a B. I'm just kind of shit at math.
>>
>>17368003
Probably that's where I'm failing. I was looking for jobs that required a bachelors in Psychology so everything I got were Social Work related jobs. Working at a bank would be so much better than removing kids from their homes. I will definitely take that as an option. Thank you.
>>
>>17368027
Well being a banker involves working with people too. And that was just one example, there are other things you can do too. Look into more 'generic' jobs, rather than specific areas. My boyfriend didn't get great grades, so he really wasn't able to be picky with what he did, and that's how he ended up as a banker. Now he loves it though. Civil servant jobs might be for you, or maybe something for a private business. Cast your net widely.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.