[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A few months ago I signed up for Comcast which might have been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: XFINITY_r.png (6 KB, 482x157) Image search: [Google]
XFINITY_r.png
6 KB, 482x157
A few months ago I signed up for Comcast which might have been retarded but I don't have many other choices in my area. I signed up for $80 for a high speed internet/tv package.

I'm basically looking to cancel the tv portion, but keep the internet. I tried calling today and I was told "that's actually part of a bundle you signed up for so it's cheaper to just keep the internet and tv rather than cancel the tv and keep the internet."

Here's some of the bullshit fees I'm seeing which increases it.

(These two increased from $1.50 and $1.00 to the prices below a couple months after I signed up, lovely).
Broadcast TV Fee 4.50
Regional Sports Fee 3.00

Taxes and fees $10.19
'
Franchise Fee 3.09
Local Programming Fee 2.04
FCC Fee 0.08
State And Local Sales Tax 4.98

I understand that Comcast doesn't really control all of the fees here but it's really scummy of them to not let you know.

Anyone with experience with dealing with Comcast? I'm sadly locked in a contract for 2 years because I wanted the lower price per month but I signed up for $80 and I pay around $96 which is pretty fucked.
>>
I'd just get Google Fiber too but it's not in my area. Never thought Comcast was as bad as people say.
>>
Last bump.
>>
>>17365959
Yeah, those are the same fees/charges on my bill. Nothing you can do about it. That's a government/regulatory thing.

It's on you, man. As a consumer, it should be obvious that there are taxes and fees. Since this is your first time signing up for this type of service, it's understandable you didn't know. But it's definitely something that happens with every company like Comcast. They're not going to tell you when you sign up, because it's not a conversation worth having. They assume that you know.

You were a newbie, so you didn't know. The fact is, those fees would still be there even if you chose a cheaper package. And they're still there if you went with another company.

Take this as a learning opportunity.
>>
>>17366043
I work for Comcast desu as technical support and all I can do for you is help your Internet go a bit faster.. I assume it's a dual band modem? When you're connected to your network type this into the URL: "10.0.0.1" and it's gonna take you to a page that asks for a name and password. Those are gonna be "admin" and "password" all lowercase. You can change this later. Now you're basically free to move shit around. Make sure your network names are named something different for each of the frequencies (administration 2.4 to the end of one name, and 5.0 at the end of the other) to help connections, change the channel to a less congested one (the faster ones are 1 and 6) and change the bandwidth setting to 20/40
>>
All those last fees, franchising and stuff, they have no control over and have no obligation to warn you about, as it's not a part of their business.

You're probably looking at a difference in your bill because a promotional deal from when you initially signed up has expired. None of these look like bullshit fees, that's just now cable costs are broken down.

If you're locked into a 2 year contract, you'd have to pay more to break it.
>>
>>17366061
yeah, don't do this, OP
>>
>>17366075
Not even joking dude.

What wrong advise did I give him?
>>
>>17366046
>>17366073
Yeah, I've definitely learned from it. I mainly don't like the fees because they recently increased out of nowhere with no notice or anything. I'm sure they don't have to tell people but it's still kinda meh.

>>17366061
>>17366075
Never heard of this before? Can look into it though unless you're trolling.
>>
>>17366061
Also, yes. It's a standard cable modem I'm renting from them. I've recently bought this modem noted below though so I can stop renting. Would increasing the speed work the same way?

Arris DOCSIS 3.0 SURFboard Cable Modem and Wi-Fi Router - Retail Packaging - White (SBG6782-AC)
>>
>>17366119
The settings are all essentially the same. If you don't trust my guideline you can always Google the settings and switch them for your prefference. Also in that 10.0.0.1 you can open ports, forward them, see who's on the wifi, etc. I recommend at least glancing over it
>>
>>17366145
Sounds good. Thanks dude, appreciate the help.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.