[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people keep telling me that "oh its ok other people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: goebbels_limits.jpg (53 KB, 582x549) Image search: [Google]
goebbels_limits.jpg
53 KB, 582x549
Why do people keep telling me that "oh its ok other people have had depression or anxiety its k mate"
I dont want to be like those "other people", alright?
Not to sound too fucking rude, but I want to do something in my life, I'm not planning on dwelling throughout the ages
Fuck, this is why I don't feel normal, yes, sure, a specific amount of people might be having these moments too BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN ITS NORMAL
>>
>>17362771
>Why do people keep telling me that "oh its ok other people have had depression or anxiety its k mate"

Probably because they want you to feel better? What is your question, exactly?
>>
I think what OP means is that they want a solution that they can apply to the problem rather than being placated with statements they have probably heard over and over.

Living with mental illness can be extremely inhibiting to someone, especially depression.
Telling someone they aren't alone doesn't always resolve the issue, especially when it comes from someone who doesnt personally experience mental illness.
>>
>>17362771
Yes, it is normal. Everybody (almost) have it to some degree. And it does not have to cripple you.

You develop strategies to cope with it and get to know yourself and what triggers you. I have dealt with panic attacks and some degree of generalized anxiety for many years (have also previously had depression). When I panic and feel my nervous system go bottom-up, I recognize instantly what is happening and what is triggering me. I know that it will pass and I know what to do to bring myself down. That helps me wind down faster, in a matter of minutes mostly now.

With generalized anxiety (fear of family or friends dying, me getting ill / losing my mind), it helps to develop a sense of humour to keep some ironic distance. Again, you get to know your own mind and eventually you can recognize the reoccuring irrational thoughts and brush them off with a laugh.

I am a Uni student and I am very succesful. So trust me, anxiety is not a death sentence. You just need the tools to deal with it, a healthy degree of self-irony and above all else, you need to be open towards what you are feeling.

Depression is a process and it needs to run its course - hopefully with the help of a skilled and humanitarian therapist.

Good riddance, bro. I know what it's like to feel all sorts of fucked up.
>>
>>17362820 this was meant for
>>17362806
>>
>>17362771
Don't be too hard on your well-wishers. They are trying to be encouraging and simply don't know the right thing to say. Forgive them if it comes out wrong, and give them credit for the feeling behind the words.
>>
>>17362771
Because you're not a special snowflake
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.