[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Joining the US Navy with a nice job
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 4test ASVAB.png (15 KB, 397x269) Image search: [Google]
4test ASVAB.png
15 KB, 397x269
TL:DR I was "homeschooled" but not really. Sat at home playing video games/browsing the internet all day. Took an ASVAB practice test online. How's my score, and what should I do to get myself in to the US Navy with a good job?

Backstory: My parents decided to homeschool me in a state which has very lax homeschool laws. My math skills are basically non-existent beyond basic addition/subtraction, I think my parents stopped teaching me anything beyond 2nd-3rd grade level math because I threw tantrums whenever they tried to teach me. When I was awake, I spent my time on video games/the internet/tv shows/movies (from ~7 years old to 18). Although I did go to a gym so I can get into the Navy physical wise, and I read books/internet articles which interest me so I'm not retarded.

So, I'm 18 now. I'm still living in my parents house. I want to get a GED and join the Navy. My practice ASVAB scores are pic related (saved the amount of answers I got correct in notepad in percentages)

Here's the site where I took the test.
https://www.4tests.com/asvab

What should I be doing if I want to actually join the Navy without becoming a cook/janitor?
>>
>>17362558
If this were a highschool asvab. They would fucking call your ass. 67.5 is a high score. I don't know about a GED however. But you qualify for a lot of good jobs. You won't be a cook.
>>
>>17362558
Without a HS diploma it's very unlikely that you can join. They let in only an extremely small percentage of people that apply with a GED.
>>
>>17362558
Whaever they promise you, whatever guarantee they give you, once you sign you belong to them and they can do what they want with you.
>>
What rate do you want?

They accept GED for sure, not sure about home school certs though.

But you need to have taken algebra 1 and passed to be considered for the more 'technical' rates like nuke.
>>
>>17362765
Thanks for the reassurance
>>17362881
Then I need to be in that extremely small percentage of people.
>>17362921
I know.
>>17362922
>What rate do you want?
Well I want to join the SEALs. Didn't want to mention it in the OP because I didn't want to come across as a try-hard or troll, but yep.
>>
>>17362558
I got 76%. Is this a test thread now? I think it is.
>>
>>17362941
That extremely small percentage is reserved for people with family connections to the navy's top ranks. It has nothing to do with how smart or motivated you are.

Go talk to a recruiter though, things may have changed since I was one a few years ago.
>>
File: you-are-an-idiot.jpg (18 KB, 285x285) Image search: [Google]
you-are-an-idiot.jpg
18 KB, 285x285
You can't make your entire post a "TL;DR." That's supposed to indicate a summing up, not an opening line.
>>
>>17362881
>Without a HS diploma it's very unlikely that you can join. They let in only an extremely small percentage of people that apply with a GED.
Are you sure about that? It'a supposed to be against the law for employers to treat a GED differently from a high school diploma. That's part of the point of the GED program in the first place.
>>
>>17364438
evidently not
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/f/faqged.htm

>The Air Force is the most strict on this matter. The Air Force allows less than one percent of annual enlistments to be recruits without a high school diploma. The Marines have the next highest standards. No more than five percent of Marine recruits can be GED-holders. The Army allows no more than ten percent each year, and the Navy limits GED enlistments to no more than five to ten percent each year.

>There are always many more GED-holders who want to enlist than there are available slots, so -- even to be considered -- a GED holder must score much higher on the Armed Forces Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB), than a high school diploma recruit.
>>
>>17362558
Why are home schooled kids always so shit at math?
>>
>>17364667
That sucks cause those people with GEDs wanted to change their life
>>
>>17362558
Just practice a bit for the test and you'll score 99 easy. Go online and take a practice test or two, and you'll almost surely score 99 on the real exam. The thing I suggest is making sure you don't have any medical problems or oddities

I got 97 on the practice exam at the recruitment office and 99 on the real exam-- ended up being rejected after going to MEPS like 4 times due to a temporary twitch in my right eye that made it look like I was winking.

You'll want to join something that gives you a military clearance; if you have a TS clearance then get a civilian job area with one, you'll easily make bank.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.