[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Constant Nightmares
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1AbSyDd.jpg (54 KB, 614x345) Image search: [Google]
1AbSyDd.jpg
54 KB, 614x345
I've had nightmares literally every single night for about a month now. I haven't been getting much sleep, and I think it's starting to wear down on my body and state of mind.

- About 60% of these nightmares involve me dying violently, usually being murdered by someone, but sometimes it's a car crash or an earthquake. The other 40% tend to involve sexual/romantic relationships that start off good but end horribly. My girlfriend doesn't appear in these nightmares.

- Only a few of the nightmares have involved paranormal or evil stuff, so pic not TOTALLY related.

- There are a few recurring nightmares that I've had ever since I was like 5, but I haven't had them in this weird period of constant nightmares yet. Normally, though, I'd have one of those recurring nightmares maybe 1 or 2 times a month.

As a little backstory:
• I lost my job almost 2 months ago.
• I'm living at home.
• I still pay rent and utilities, I'm not a complete scumbag (I have about $10k still saved, so I can live off of that for a while).
• My girlfriend and I don't see each other often enough, though I am very happy to be with her.
• I'm not totally sure, but I think I might be in the early stages of some depression. I don't know, I can't self-diagnose

Please let me know if you have any ideas. Obviously my life isn't where it should be, but I can't think of anything that's changed significantly in the last month that would make this happen. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to sleep.
>>
>>17362290
Do you take any medication? Even antihistaminics. Some stuff is known to give nightmares.

You're under stress so it could be that. Anxiety overday that you don't let out translates to dreams involving fear.

Also I believe in pagan stuff so I'd link this with a psychic attack and would look at cleansing out at least my own room and putting up a ward but that depends on what you believe in.
>>
>>17362303
>Do you take any medication?

Absolutely nothing. Last thing I put in my body other than food or drink was a couple aspirin a few weeks ago for a headache.

>You're under stress so it could be that.
I mean, I certainly have enough stress for 10 people, but these nightmares seemed so spontaneous. I've been feeling like shit ever since I lost my job, but the nightmares came on so suddenly, and they haven't stopped even once. There was no gradual onset, it just started happening every single night on a seemingly random day. I'm trying to think back and remember if anything shitty happened about a month ago, but I can't seem to come up with anything. Could this really have come on over stress I've had for months, you think?

>pagan...psychic attack
Nah, I don't believe in that stuff. I'm a Christian, so I guess I can't count out Satan being a dick to me or something, but that kind of stuff comes at the very bottom of my list of probability.
>>
desperate bump.
>>
Can you start a dream diary after every nightmare write in down and get it out usually most dreams are about a subconscious thought. Say for example in the background on the TV they talk about a carjacking it's not uncommon to dream about a car jacking.

Personally for me I have nightmares when I am stressed I may not even notice that I'm going through a lot of stress at the time but for sure I will have nightmares.

I keep a journal and write down my day any worries or good thoughts I just put down in my journal and get it all out. You sound like someone that isn't into medication so maybe try a herbal camomile tea before bed. I'd avoid all caffeine including chocolate etc.

Try and make light of these nightmares after all they aren't real once you write about them just turn the page and try and forget about them.

Good luck with it all.
>>
>>17362290

See a doctor, post-haste. Nobody deserves recurring nightmares, and nightmares aren't going to tell us anything about what's going on.

So while a doctor can start the process of figuring out just what might be causing your nightmares and how to make them stop, and whether or not you might be headed for a bout of depression and who you can see to help you reverse that, and all that other really good stuff, a doctor can also advise you, for the time being, on how best to achieve dreamless sleep, and possibly give you some medication to encourage that.

I have had few true nightmares in my life, but they were always terribly upsetting. Don't know how you found the strength to endure them for a month. It's impressive, but now how about reward yourself by making them go away. See a doctor.
>>
>>17362317
What's stressing you out?
>>
>>17362475
Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll do that. I think my current health coverage would allow me to get counseling as well, so perhaps a journal of my nightmares would be a help in that case now that I think about it.

>>17362455
I cope by getting very minimal sleep, which probably doesn't help the issue much. About 2-4 hours a night with a lot of all-nighters sprinkled in. I don't want to sleep because it always ends with me shooting out of unconsciousness in a panic.

Thanks a bunch for the input. That was some very caring advice.
It seems sleeping with my girlfriend helps the issue a lot -- As someone who has nightmares on a pretty regular basis even in normal times, I think I have far fewer nightmares with her. Lucky me, today is the beginning of a vacation, so she might actually help me get some much needed rest this week.
>>
>>17362486
>What's stressing you out?
Mostly the "impending doom" feeling for not having found work yet, and the fact that I only get a tiny sliver of the time that I need with my girlfriend. I'd say those are my top 2 sources of stress at the moment.

For a while I was really, REALLY worried that I think I'm depressed. I still think I am, but I'm a lot calmer about it now. I'm just sort of stewing in it. I don't think that's a big source.
>>
One more bump before I make an attempt to sleep
>>
Eat and drink healthy (lots of water), and excercise. Do no drugs (this goes from alcohol and tobacco to farmaceutical drgus). If possible, get yourself checked by a doctor.

When you're constantly having nightmares it's usually your body trying to tell you that something it's not feeling healthy. Something might be wrong (as in a medical issue), or you just need to make sure that you're living a moe healthy life.

They say that scheduling your time with a routine and a timetable also helps, but I never tried that myself when I had nightmares.
>>
>>17362675
>Eat and drink healthy (lots of water), and excercise.
I really can't stress enough that this came on very suddenly -- I'm not in great physical shape, but nothing has changed about that since before the weird nightmare streak has come on. Do you really think this could be a matter of routine and lifestyle?

> If possible, get yourself checked by a doctor.
I'm starting to think that I really have to. I'm going to schedule an appointment soon.
>>
read a little freud bitch

i didn't read your whole op but I can tell you that nightmares are stressful but harmless. it's your brain processing your unconscious fears and desires. take it as a learning experience
>>
>>17363696
You could have reached a point where your body just can't take it anymore without feeling unhealthy. It could be because you're older now and not juvenile enough to handle an unhealthy lifestyle, or most likely because after years of not following a healthy routine your body is starting to feel weakened. In any case, having nightmares on a consistent basis usually means that something isn't working well and your body is trying to let you know. That's why getting yourself checked could be a good thing... although it might simply go away if you live healthier.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.