[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Degrees for Feds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1466921534290.png (4 MB, 1902x1722) Image search: [Google]
1466921534290.png
4 MB, 1902x1722
As someone who is seeking a career in Federal level law enforcement or intelligence and is about to go to university, what degrees help someone to stand out of the pack.

I imagine the first one people jump to is Criminal Justice but I feel that would just make me another face in the crowd of applicants. Any suggestions?
>>
>I imagine the first one people jump to is Criminal Justice but I feel that would just make me another face in the crowd of applicants.

And how exactly do you expect your undergrad to make you stand out? The FBI doesn't even have entry level law enforcement jobs.
>>
nice pic OP
>>
Bachelor's in Criminal Psychology (I think) is what my plan was when I wanted to do that.

But yeah, Criminal Justice, Psychology, that sort of jazz. If you want to set yourself apart make sure your record is spotless, and get good ass grades in school.

Good luck with that Anon
>>
>>17359315
I haven't the slightest clue of which steps to take, which is why I asked. Hoped maybe some CIA suit would chime in but then I should have asked on r9k or pol
>>
>>17359323
Good to know that those things help. Thanks mate
>>
>>17359305
Anything that might lead to law school.

Believe it or not, English. I was told by a federal recruiter that agents in everything from FBI to ATF spend most of their time writing and filing reports, and one of the big weeder-out things is people who can't write a coherent and grammatical paragraph.
>>
>>17359330
if you really think there are CIA spooks on /r9k/ and /pol/ then you're beyond hope

if you want to go CIA your best bet would be to study linguistics, they don't hire anyone who can't already speak multiple mission critical languages.

You also know that you can just fucking go to their website and it'll explain what kind of people they're looking for right? I mean if you want to be a spy you've obviously already checked the most obvious source right?
>>
>>17359364
Less fun though, wouldn't have got to meet your grouchy ass. =^)

Anyway yeah it was a joke I am damn sure spooks have better shit to do. But thanks for the legit advice.
>>
>>17359305
Have you bothered to look at the websites for the government agencies you're interested in? Tried to use google to research their hiring procedures?

I suspect not.

At your age, you are transitioning from being a dumb kid into a dumb adult. You might want to strive to be something better.
>>
Not CIA, but I work in my nation's international intelligence agency. I did an undergraduate in Business, triple majoring in Business Intelligence, Finance, and Marketing with an A average, and I speak both Russian and Arabic.

All intelligence agencies to my knowledge supply extensive training to their candidates, which does include languages... However, being able to show that you have an aptitude to learning complex things is one of the best ways to differentiate yourself from other potential candidates.. Learning a difficult language (pick one that's high on the DLAB) is the way to do that imho.

Honestly, there are so many things that intelligence agencies are going to look for. Paramount to any of your qualifications and technical skills, are your interpersonal skills, as these are what make the largest difference when cultivating assets or gathering intelligence.

Don't get into this line of work if you're not prepared to move around the country at a minutes notice for long periods of time. In a similar vein, relationships are impossible to have, so be prepared to live most of your life alone.
>>
>>17359364
>>17359403
Same faggotry
You can learn more from other people's knowledge and experiences than you can from static web pages. But yes I've been to multiple official sites of such organizations.

>>17359477
Thank you, this is something I'll pursue.
>>
>>17359305

i had a teacher who wanted to be FBI. they got a degree in criminal justice thinking they'd be a shoe in. she was rejected beause they said they wanted to be able to train someone from scratch to do things their way. as you can imagine their book doesn't exactly follow the local law book.

that was a long ass time ago. times change. try contacting someone in the field to find out.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.