[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
in need of tech guru. does anyone know how to get large numbers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: Samsug-microSD-PRO.jpg (46 KB, 600x416) Image search: [Google]
Samsug-microSD-PRO.jpg
46 KB, 600x416
in need of tech guru. does anyone know how to get large numbers of files reliably onto an SD card. I want to load 128GB of mp3 onto a micro sd card but the transfers never work in the end. tried a few different cards. and a few different transfer methods. so far as i understand the problem is just that FAT32 sucks at high capacity
>>
>>17358978
Do small transfers? Fat is pretty crappy about it and I doubt you can change the partition to something that doesn't suck and that can be recognized by anything.
>>
spent 6 hours last night transferring 200MB at a time into separate folders. thought it was working. only a small number of transfers didn't do all the files. popped card into my high capacity lossless player....only about half the songs play :'(
>>
im wondering if theres like a piece of software or something that is designed to do reliable transfers somehow?
>>
>>17358978
Kek.
Maybe your card is fucked?

Also, what are you using to transfer files?
>>
not the card. tried 3 different ones. 2 different brands. just using my laptop. 6 year old i5 windows 7 piece of junk.
>>
>>17358978
There should be no issue with copying files to FAT32. My guess would be a problem somewhere with the physical interface. Use some sort of file verification (md5, sfv, whatever) to check what files didn't copy properly.
>>
file transfers appear to work. all the files show up after the transfer is done. but after doing other transfers if i go back and check later there will be no files. and it seems that once one transfer fails in this way all subsequent transfers also fail. ive been toying around with it for about 8 hours now. got about 50% of my stuff on the sd cards without anything missing. another 25% is half there with random songs missing. and another 25% just doesnt appear at all. just about ready to give up and accept that a 160GB ipod is the most i get to carry around with me
>>
are you using cheap SD cards or something
>>
yes. i bought two different kinds of ebay. both super cheap like 10$ each. dont really feel like oging to bestbuy and spending 100$ unless i know 100% thats what the problem is. seems a bit hard to believe that ebayers selling thousands of these things are getting away with selling pieces of shit that cant take files....
>>
>>17359171
Look kiddo, your cheap cards have shitty Download and Upload speeds that's why it's slow. Had you bought expensive ones you'd not have this problem.

When comparing let's say a cheap 32gb card with an expensive one with the same capacity you also have to look at their speed classes. It's always stated in Class 1-10. There's an additional speed class as well called UHS-1-3. You can read on them here https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/

Assuming you'd buy a Class 10 card with UHS-II you still need to make sure how fast it is by checking out the cards Download and Upload speeds respectively on the producer's website or under the product description. This is because they are never even but one can be 2 times faster than the other. The expensive cards usually have both very high D and U speeds.

These differences are why copying data from the SD card to your computer can be faster rather than uploading it the other direction.

tl;dr deal with it or return them and get a refund
>>
>>17359171
>getting away with
They sell what they advertise. It's up to you to know what you're buying.
>>
>>17359171
>10$ each
You bought 128GB SD cards for 10$ each? Ohh boy, you got scammed. Those cards are not and will not ever have the advertised size. Basically, their interfaces reports 128gb but their true physical size is much much smaller, like 8gb or 16gb.

You can't do anything with them. Shell out the big monies and buy proper 128gb cards from a trusted brand.
>>
>>17359042
>just using my laptop. 6 year old i5 windows 7 piece of junk.
You have to remember that USB 2.0 has a speed limit. If your card is faster than the limit of USB 2.0 you'll never utilized the cards speed. You need USB 3.0 for that.
>>
>>17359171
Your cards are probably bogus. You need to verify your cards are legit when you get them. This is a common scam.
https://www.raymond.cc/blog/test-and-detect-fake-or-counterfeit-usb-flash-drives-bought-from-ebay-with-h2testw/

I've used the first 2 tools, don't know anything about the others. Fakeflashtest site explains why the fake cards do what they do.

Don't buy cheap as free cards. Always buy brand name. You get what you pay for.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.