[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/. I've recently converted to Christianity and I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: John_Coltrane_-_A_Love_Supreme.jpg (13 KB, 300x280) Image search: [Google]
John_Coltrane_-_A_Love_Supreme.jpg
13 KB, 300x280
Hey /adv/.
I've recently converted to Christianity and I've a friend who is religious who I want to talk to but I don't know how to go about doing it.
I was an agnostic atheist for a long time (as long as I've known her) and she's been pretty aware of that. I'm studying physics in college atm and part of what sparked my interest in science was my belief that it is the best way of describing the universe so I mean, this is a pretty big left turn for me from where I was just 6 months ago.
She's probably the nicest person I know but I don't know how she'll take it if I tell her. I don't exactly have a lifestyle/opinions that aligns with church teachings (the initial event that helped me find faith was drug related, I'm a homosexual, I believe in sexual liberty, abortion, etc.) but I am certain I believe in God and Jesus. I don't want to lie to her but I also think she won't take me seriously if I tell her and I might even offend her.
What do? Advice from any Christians is especially appreciated. Pic slightly related.
>>
Do you go to church at this point? You need something concrete to prove that you aren't bullshiting. What made you convert? That actually might be the best way to explain it.
>>
>>17358281
No I don't. I'm friends with a lot of people in my local church who I amn't comfortable with talking with about it atm.
I feel ridiculous just saying it but I was high and I thought I "felt god's presence". I wasn't sure what to think at first and put it down to the drugs but I have been praying, meditating and reading the bible over the last two months and I don't even know how to explain it to myself but I really sincerely believe God is hearing me and even answering in small ways.
>>
>>17358306
Maybe go over bible passages that have helped you. If you were making it up you wouldn't be wasting your time going through the bible. I don't think she would think that you are putting on some sort of ruse at that point. I guess I don't know why she would think you would be fucking with her.
>>
File: 0231.jpg (19 KB, 350x184) Image search: [Google]
0231.jpg
19 KB, 350x184
Is the goal here to convert your friend? 'Cause that's not going to happen.

You don't have to explain yourself, you don't have to answer any questions. Just tell her, then move on to the things you still have in common.
>>
File: 1462867878366.jpg (60 KB, 245x282) Image search: [Google]
1462867878366.jpg
60 KB, 245x282
>>17358269

Kek
>Doesn't know God hates fags
>studying physics in college
>Suddenly starts believing in bullshit

Are you for real?

https://youtu.be/oVnuFY20st0

Btw why are you so worried about what some girl thinks? Feeling hot for her?
>>
>>17358269
So you were a perfectly fine young man, then you took some hard drugs and became a retard who believes in a magic bearded man in the sky. Someone who studies physics should probably know better but whatever. I hope it'll pass quickly. Anyways, just do it, man. Tell her what you told us. That you believe in God and his son/avatar/chosen one/whatever but not in the retarded, assbackwards, ancient values of the church (which makes you way less idiotic than others). I don't know if she'll understand, though, religious people aren't exactly known for accepting change and current social values. Good luck !
>>
"I'm having a big change of heart concerning religion, as I'm starting to feel Christ's presence in my life. But I'm having some difficulties figuring out the paths I need to take, and I'd like to talk about them with someone I trust. Could you help me with some things?"

Something like this. Go through the common Biblical quotes concerning your positions, both for and against, beforehand. This may mean going to some unsavory places, but it is useful to understand the arguments being made even when you disagree with them.

If you can do that, then I don't think you need to worry so much about not being taken seriously. You yourself called her one of the nicest people you know, and I assume she already knows about the areas of your life that don't jibe too well with Christianity. This is not going to change for the worse just because you have started to feel the presence of God. If anything, it may improve.
>>
Maybe you should take some more acid to discover the power of being comfortable with who you are.

Try this wager, as your lifestyle doesn't conform to her church's ideology, tell her you'll feel a whole lot more comfortable being atheist -- you don't even go to church that much anyway. See how she reacts; if she rejects you for turning, then Fuck her; she's not your friend. If she tries to help you, then you have a friend to help you through your spiritual qualms
>>
>>17359607
Nah man, should have been more clear, I was smoking pot. Which is part of what made it more convincing for me. I'm smoking it for about 4 years and don't tend to get strong reactions to it and I've never seen or heard of anything like this. That said, I thought it was relevant to mention. What convinced me was that the feeling came back to me sober. Tbh I'm happier these last few weeks than I've been in a long time so really, I'm OK with sounding like a loony. I just don't want to fuck up a good friendship by telling her I went on a week long sabbatical hot boxing my bathroom and happened to find god while I was in there.
I mean, you don't know me but I think you can imagine how big a paradigm shift this was for me as I fit the stereotype of the objectively analytical physicist pretty darn well and never even considered the idea that I might convert some day. I want to galvanise my faith and if I can get her to take me seriously I think she'd help me get back involved with the church and... I donno tell me what to do? I was raised agnostic so I'm feeling a bit out of my depth atm.
>>17359596
Yeah I know.
I want to tell her because I want her advice. She's pretty devout and I do kinda want her validation if I'm honest. As I said though I'm gay so nah.
>>17359585
3/10 on reading comprehension.
>>17359619
> I'm starting to feel Christ's presence in my life.
Is this a normal way to describe it? It's descriptive of how I feel but is this like what Christians normally feel? That's my biggest fear, that maybe this is all in my head and if I start talking to people about it that they'll tell me it doesn't sound like I'm actually experiencing I ought to be.
>>17359667
It sounds like you may have misunderstood my situation. I WAS an atheist, I think I'm now a Christian and I want to tell my Christian friend to determine whether or not I should check into a mental facility.
>>
>>17359799

I would say just talk to her about it. If she is a good Christian she isn't going to be offended or shun or whatever.

The likelihood does depend somewhat on what she follows - if she is a hardcore evangelical baptist or whatever the fuck then it's far more likely. In my experience, more modern Catholics tend to be much more accepting and understanding. They may not agree or 100% accept your exact beliefs, but they're taught to welcome all seek God - especially since the ascension of Pope Francis. Other denominations may also be more accepting.

More rural and suburban = more hardcore and exclusionary.

More urban = generally more accepting.
>>
>>17358269
Christianity says love thy neighbor as yourself. If someone is giving you shit for trying to be a better person, regardless of what your beliefs are, they're not really Christian.

End of story.
>>
>>17359799
>I'm starting to feel Christ's presence in my life.
>Is this a normal way to describe it?
It's not exactly typical -a bit on the poetic side- but it's far from unheard of. Enough people use it that she'll at least understand it to mean you've found belief, even if she doesn't get all the particulars.
>>
So you have a friend that's religious. And you're scared to tell her that you're religious.

Am I missing something? Is she of another religion or something?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.