[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do counselors ever "side" with the child rather than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
Do counselors ever "side" with the child rather than parents?

I'm 24, in college, have had jobs before but on break now. I still live with my parents because houses are expensive. They weren't raised on American culture and the values it entails, so our house sees a lot of differences. Throughout the years I've gotten really tired of explaining my side, since I grew up with American culture and the differences are just too strong.

When I'm with my friends, we like to smoke weed. That became a problem to my controlling parents. They're ok with booze, however, since that's what they grew up on. But weed is the devil's drug, to them it's exactly the same as heroin and other hard stuff. There's no changing their mind on it either, they are quite conservative and old. My straight A's and Dean's List status are invisible to them too.

We're setting up a counselor meeting to help solve my "problem". I've never been to one before and don't know it works. My desired outcome is: I want to keep smoking weed until it is time to quit. Once I'm 1 or 2 months away from graduating, then I'll fully stop so to pass a drug test before getting a real career.

How can I convey this to the counselor so they'll side with me and help me put some sense in my parents' heads? I know the working world will be a real shithole after graduation and I just want to lengthen the good times as long as possible.
>>
You could present the facts in front of the counselor about how non dangerous weed is, especially when compared to alcohol. Your parents likely won't give a shit but it might help the counselor take your side.
>>
you're 24 who cares what they think
>>
>>17357009
If you don't like their rules, move out. I usually go back to my parents house for a few weeks to save money during the summer when I don't get much business and while we never argue it does mean I don't get to do things they don't approve of, like staying in bed after 10am and going out drinking more than once a week.
>>
>>17357009
A counselor isn't going to be able to make you stop smoking weed, and they aren't like, obligated to tell the police or anything.
>>
>>17357009
A good counselor isn't going to "side" with anybody. They're going to mediate your issues with your parents. That being said, obviously if you're in outstanding academic shape, pot has no bearing on your life and they need to chill the fuck out. I'm sure a counselor will see this and try and bring them around to show them that they're literally worrying about nothing.

Unless for some reason they turn up a counselor whose opinions on weed are exactly the same as theirs. Then you're screwed no matter what.
>>
>>17357009
>and they aren't like, obligated to tell the police or anything.

They're actually legally prohibited from discussing anything you say in counseling with the police, provided what you tell them doesn't constitute a bodily threat to yourself or others.
>>
>>17357499
This.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.