[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, I'm planning to start university this year and I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: index.png (16 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
index.png
16 KB, 259x194
Hello,

I'm planning to start university this year and I would like to get some input on picking the right course for me. Only thing I know for sure is that I'll be going into the STEM field because that's what interests me the most and I'm very good at. So far my favorite choice is Physics because I feel like it's a broad field allowing me to go a lot of different directions later on, it's very theoretical so it'll hopefully shape my thought process and problem solving skills but with some practical applications unlike studying mathematics and I'm fascinated by many of those phyiscs/astronomy related documentaries (though I realize studying Physics is very different to that, but at least I'm interested in the subject).

However, I've been backpacking for a couple years and I really enjoy that freedom of moving around the globe at my own will without any boundaries. Also, this year I have started to pick up online freelancing work as a translator (English is not my native language) and article writer which has turned out very well and I'm up to a fairly decent hourly wage by now. It's not something I want to do forever, but it has sparked that idea of learning something that would allow me that freedom of working my own choice of hours from anywhere in the world.

For that reason I'm starting to doubt Physics now, because I think it wouldn't help me an awful lot to get me a job that gives me that freedom. In fact, I'm starting to doubt whether university in general is the right choice because any serious job that requires a degree also seems to require a serious commitment. I have thought about going more into the Computer science direction, learn programming and then make my money freelancing online but Computer science seems so mainstream and not very impressive to master if you know what I mean. Anyways, enough of my rambling. What do you guys think?
>>
>>17352804
Major in Physics, teach yourself Python and C++ in the meantime. If you want to continue your education through a PhD, which is the only real way to get a job doing Physics, learning how to program beyond trival shit will help you greatly. If you find your interest isn't enough to sustain you another 6+ years, your coding experience will help springboard you into a development job. A Physics major will prove you're smart. The rest is creating a good portfolio.
>>
>>17352946

sounds like a good plan thanks.
>>
What would you like to do for the rest of your life? Is work THE meaning of life or a means to a life style? You don't want to invest 6+ years into a degree only to be stuck in a job and debt for more years. If you dream of discovering new theories then an advanced physics degree may be worth it. Chemistry and engineering are quick big bucks right out the door
>>
>>17354361

Neither is what I want to do for the rest of my life but rather something I'm curious knowing more about. It doesn't have to be that serious either, I'm a nihilistic lazy bastard with not much else to do and where I come from I not only study for free but even get a couple hundred bucks gifted from the government.
>>
are you in the us? if so, you probably should have a lot of freedom to take courses in different subjects, even if they aren't ultimately relevant to your major, and in fact most schools require you to take a certain number of basic courses in a wide range of subjects. the best thing you can do the first few semesters of uni is explore, take whatever courses interest you, because that's really the only way you're going to find out what you like and are good at.

if you're a europoor or something this might totally not be the case tho
>>
>>17354479

As I said, I'm studying for free so not in US.
>>
>>17354371
Are you me?
>>
>>17355321

So what are you thinking of studying mate?
>>
File: ETcJ2gr.jpg (72 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
ETcJ2gr.jpg
72 KB, 960x720
I just recently graduated in theoretical physics from one of the top uni in the UK. Here are a few tips and stuff that I wish I knew before I started uni.

1) I regret it.
I don't mean that I regret studying physics. I regret studying it in uni. Here's why. Recall those early moments when you first started loving physics.. there was no expectations. You just read about things that you liked. You learnt it at your pace. There were no pressures about grades, course works, exams etc. In uni, they will cram a shit ton of topics and modules in 3 years that you just end up feeling suffocated. All those formulas, explanations, phenomenons, observations etc, will really test you. I really wish that I could have learnt everything at my own pace and enjoy the journey rather than sprint through it.

2) don't be lazy
Holy shit... I wish I took my own advice. DONT BE LAZY!! Now I know you've heard it many times before but this time, it's serious. Don't expect to get good grades if you only attend lectures and not look at your notes when you get home. Even spending just 1 hour a day going over concepts and making sure you understand it, will help you slit in the long run.

3) know a little bit of coding
This will help you immensely if your course has computing modules. Not only will it make it easier, when your are looking for jobs, it will look good on your cv.

4) get your PhD.
If you are looking for an actual physics job, you will need a PhD. If you want one of those jobs where you research and stuff, you will definitely need a PhD. I'm planning to get mine soon.

Other than that, I have nothing else to contribute to this thread.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.