[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hobbies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: 2324.jpg (79 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
2324.jpg
79 KB, 400x400
What are your hobbies /adv/? How they help/make you a better person?
>>
Wind surfing and skiing. They don't really make me a better person, but they do make me feel one with nature.
>>
Sewing, hiking, gardening, kayaking, camping, vidya, and reading novels/comics.

They don't really make me a better person. At most it keeps me busy so I don't feel like I'm wasting my life. Each one I have small goals in and I feel better about myself when I accomplish them.
>>
>>17352773

What would be your goal in the comic department?
>>
I play vidya. I've tried a variety of more constructive hobbies, but I just can't beat the dopamine I get playing games.
I had some friends once but I let them all go for more time alone.
Help me
>>
File: Maths.png (83 KB, 1028x326) Image search: [Google]
Maths.png
83 KB, 1028x326
Piano
Acoustic Guitar
Sight Reading
Video Games
Lifting
Cooking
Hockey
Search for an internship
>>
>>17352779
It changes but it could be anything from getting through a certain number of comics a day, finishing a long series, or finding a new series to read.

Right now I'm working through a long list of comics I've wanted to read.
>>
>>17352744
>How they help/make you a better person?
A single hobby generally doesn't, with the possible exception of volunteer work. What REALLY improves us is are the combinations of things we do, because these combinations make us interesting and give us perspective.

Generally speaking, I recommend trying to touch all of the following bases with your interests.

- Something that (literally) makes you sweat
- Something that (figuratively) makes your head hurt sometimes
- Something you could do in bed if you had to
- Something that cannot be done indoors
- Something that produces a tangible object (not necessarily permanently)
- Something that can't be done unless another person is physically present
- Something you could have done even if you'd been born 200 years ago (even if the modern form is slightly different)
- Something you will probably be able to do on yout 101st birthday

It's okay to touch more than one base with a single interest, as long as you still cover all eight bases somehow. But touching all eight bases with a single interest is probably impossible.
>>
>>17352821

>Something that (literally) makes you sweat
Masturbation

>Something that (figuratively) makes your head hurt sometimes
Getting high af

>Something you could do in bed if you had to
Masturbation

>Something that cannot be done indoors
Buying weed

>Something that produces a tangible object (not necessarily permanently)
Pooping

>Something that can't be done unless another person is physically present
Ordering food

>Something you could have done even if you'd been born 200 years ago (even if the modern form is slightly different)
Masturbation

>Something you will probably be able to do on yout 101st birthday
AgeOutOfRangeException: Age is out of range.
>>
>>17352744
Travel, learning languages, music (listeningand making my own), reading... I used to write, too, but I mostly write for a living so my interest is subdued.

I suppose reading and languages may have some positive neurological/intellectual impact, and I think travel has made me a bit more open-minded and understanding of other people. But I don't have hobbies to improve myself; I have hobbies to enjoy myself and relax.
>>
>>17352744
I conduct occult/esoteric research and perform a few types of divination. I also write music. I like admiring my finished products and having knowledge most people don't. Also, I've saved my own ass a few times.
>>
>>17352744
I play piano and play ultimate frisbee. Looking for more normal hobbies so I can quit the video games.
>>
>>17352821

>- Something that (literally) makes you sweat

Basketball

> - Something that (figuratively) makes your head hurt sometimes

Drinking

> - Something you could do in bed if you had to

Reading, studying languages, writing

> - Something that cannot be done indoors

Basketball

> - Something that produces a tangible object (not necessarily permanently)

Writing (notes mostly, but also my own short stories. Recently started writing poetry, feels cringey)

> - Something that can't be done unless another person is physically present

Basketball. I spent so much time practicing my shot that I feel bored when I'm alone on the court for more than 5 minutes.

> - Something you could have done even if you'd been born 200 years ago (even if the modern form is slightly different)

Reading, writing

> - Something you will probably be able to do on yout 101st birthday

I like to think I'll be dead by 50.

Basketball keeps me from being a couch potato, that's an easy one. Learning languages opened up lots of opportunities for me, scolarships, paid-by-the-EU traveling opportunities, job offers, friends from all over Europe, etc. What I love the most about it is being able to read literature in its original language and not having to rely on translations. Reading itself is just a great hobby to have. I can't tell you if it has made me a better person or not, though. I recently got into philosophy, which can provide some mental exercise. Writing kinda feeds itself, I think it's a skill like any other, the more I write, the better I get, but I have no use for it in my day-to-day life. Same goes for reading, desu. I wish I'd like math or something instead of literature and languages, I could be an engineer of some sorts. Tried pursuing both but I fucking hate math.
>>
Masturbating
>>
>>17352744
Bonsai trees but I have put it off for years.
>>
File: reagan.jpg (20 KB, 474x305) Image search: [Google]
reagan.jpg
20 KB, 474x305
>>17352744
Working.
Working.
Working

Now if you'll excuse me I'm late for work.
>>
File: homers_barbershop_quartet.jpg (19 KB, 372x286) Image search: [Google]
homers_barbershop_quartet.jpg
19 KB, 372x286
Retro vidya collecting/playing
Watching sports/playing fantasy sports
Watching anime/learning Japanese on the side

The one that takes up the bulk of my free time is barbershop quartet singing. I compete and do gigs with a quartet and travel to several conventions each year. It can be a time consuming and expensive hobby, but it's a pretty fulfilling one I'd say. I've met plenty of friendly and selfless people through barbershop, so that's kinda rubbed off on me and made me a better person. I'd say around 90% of my friends are barbershoppers too.

Pic related, though its seldom what a quartet looks like nowadays.
>>
>>17353842
>can't play basketball indoors

You know that's literally why basketball was invented, right? So that people had a sport to play inside in the dead of winter, yeah?

>what are gynasiums
>>
>>17352821
lifting/rock climbing
getting mad at videogames
reading
scuba
cooking
scuba
>Something you could have done even if you'd been born 200 years ago (even if the modern form is slightly different)
cooking
die, also videogames
>>
I attribute all of my weight loss to my love of Basketball. Alongside a low carb diet I'd put my headphones in and hit the rec center early mornings and just run drills for hours. Something about feeling myself get better at every facet; but at varying paces, had allowed me too accept my life as the same way. I had to work and some goals were on a different time table.

+ I love crossing people and hitting some turn around jumpers on some kids
>>
>>17352821
Walking outside in this shitty heat.
Writing.
Writing.
Taking a walk ... outside.
Writing.
I don't like to depend on others...
Writing.
Writing? Oh who am I kidding, I will be fucking dead.

I am not sure whether writing made me a better person but it definitely made me a better person to hang with, and my own life so much easier. It forces me to be more social and interact with people, so I am less of an asocial fuck than I could be. It motivates me to do annoying stuff like working or going to uni (it made passing exams without studying easier too), so I am not homeless yet. It made hooking up a lot easier because I have a lot to talk about and chicks think that I am smart and it made dealing with any kind of failure and adversary very easy, because who cares, it's just inspiration.

Not sure if I would recommend it to others though, it's draining and distances you from others in a way, since I feel more of a passive observer.
>>
>>17353927
>barbershop quartet singing
How do I get into this? This is a dream of mine. Should I have done chorus in school and not listened to the bullies calling me a faggot for liking to sing?
>>
>>17354136
Yes. Go secretly take singing lessons then serenade your friends and family with a beautiful quartet piece
>>
File: Dark Eldar kabalite warriors.jpg (72 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Dark Eldar kabalite warriors.jpg
72 KB, 800x600
>>17352744
Playing vidya, drawing (though I rarely do that these days), and collecting warhammer figurines.
And none of them help me become a better person in any way.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.