[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Back in high school, we had a video game design class. As a gamer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: 1454042651316.jpg (31 KB, 327x374) Image search: [Google]
1454042651316.jpg
31 KB, 327x374
Back in high school, we had a video game design class. As a gamer myself and having interest in it's development,I took it the course. I did pretty well (B grade and not a stunning A+ sadly) as well as the engine we used for the level design portion was outdated, I really did find enjoyment and fulfillment in the course.

Now I had a friend in the course who got asked by the teacher if he was interested in taking the game design shit as a career. The teacher never did ask me if I wanted to take it as a career but I shrugged it off. My shit I made in the class wasn't the best anyways but I still wanted to do this and git gud. The teacher gave only a limited number of students to come on a field trip to some game company around the area I lived in during my time taking the course. My friend got invited. I never did although most people just asked if they could come along.

Now fast forward a few years from all of that. I have taken the game design shit seriously. Went to some college for it and graduated. But I not only have no job but I feel like my work was underwhelming compared to the other students'. I feel like the teacher back in high school knew I wasn't cut out for it but I said fuck it, I'm following my dreams, I'll get better, I'll become the best, you know those cheesy bullshit lines they make in movies. I said them. And now here I am. I wasted a few years of my life for this shit. I did it but I didn't make it. I don't know what. Maybe I was just meant to be a player and no maker? I feel like such an embarrassment to my family and myself. The thought of doing something else during that time keeps rushing in my head and it's not leaving. I don't know what to do from here. The signs were there that I'm not making it yet ignorance got the best of me and here I am.

I just don't know. I'm feeling way too down over this. Need some help.
>>
I guess killing myself is the best answer?
>>
>>17351939
Or you could
>go back to school and study something else
or
>work on your own game and see if you can build up a portfolio of sorts that way
>>
You could always learn web design and become a designer. Transfer some of the skills you learned from school and go into that? Then do that as a career and then network to go back into the game design industry. It isn't over, you just need to reposition yourself man. Also don't talk about killing yourself, you are an amazing person who is just a little lost right now.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.