[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a physics question. please see pic related. I want the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
I have a physics question. please see pic related. I want the rubber band to pull that red object closer to the black one, the blue object is being used as leverage.

I don't have accurate weights, but if the rubber band is pulling the blue object with x force, and the red object weighs x pounds while the blue object also weighs x pounds, does it cancel out the rubber bands pulling force if the red and blue object are exerting too much downward force from gravity?

since the red and blue objects both weigh a certain amount, gravity is pulling them DOWN. The rubber band is pulling them RIGHT. How would you get the rubber band to pull in this situation?

in my opinion the downward force is cancelling out the rubber band so I may need to increase the rubber band force.
>>
>>>/sci/
>>
>>17351376
>physics
TRIGGERED
>>
PLEASE HELP
>>
Blue and red are one object. The rubber band needs to overcome friction between bluered and the floor
>>
???
Is this homework?
>using a rubberband that would require the same force to stretch it to the object as it would require to move the object closer (assuming the tension force is enough)
>using a blue object as "leverage" without explaining how it facilitates movement to the point that it justifies the added weight total (in fact not even explaining if it even justifies it)

Is the pulling force of the rubberband the same as the weight of the blue object (x)? If so is the total weight 2x?

Help me help you. How do you increase rubberband force? Is this for a building game or something?
>wanting
>>
>>17351450
NO brother, I drew the red object sitting on top of the blue object to show that the blue is being used as leverage
>>
>>17351462
>Is this homework?
Please ignore this
>How do you increase rubberband force?
I can do that by moving the black object further away, this increasing the tension.
>Is the pulling force of the rubberband the same as the weight of the blue object (x)? If so is the total weight 2x?
I do not know, that is my problem. The rubber band is failing to pull forward and I suspect it is because the blue and red object are exerting too much force in another direction. I don't know how much force there is, I just assume increasing the elastic force will work.
>>
>>17351470
>I can do that by moving the black object further away, this increasing the tension
But you'd be moving your objective further away, tensile strength increases the farther you stretch, but decreases as it pulls itself closer to its natural form; you'd end up the same as you started. Plus if you can do that why not move the black thing closer, that's the objective no?

>Is the pulling force of the rubberband the same as the weight of the blue object (x)? If so is the total weight 2x?

Well it would. It's not a question of can it. So much as a question of is the object light enough. Why is the blue object needed? By the way your perpetrator is inertia and friction
>>
>>17351516
Meant to memetext
>>Is the pulling force of the rubberband the same as the weight of the blue object (x)? If so is the total weight 2x?
I do not know, that is my problem. The rubber band is failing to pull forward and I suspect it is because the blue and red object are exerting too much force in another direction. I don't know how much force there is, I just assume increasing the elastic force will work.
>>
>>17351516
Another way is by adding a second elastic to double the pulling force without moving the black object further away.

The blue object is needed. It is molded to the shape of the red object to act as leverage. The red object cannot be pulled forward by itself.
>>
>>17351376
Just change the surface you're placing red&blue on and reduce friction, and stop being so god damn retarded. Friction is NOT a fundamental force.
>>
>>17351544
Please be patient with me I am a retard...

I cannot "change the surface" or reduce friction, I'mpossible

So you are saying that if I increase the elastic pulling force, then it will overpower the friction?
>>
PLEASE RETURN TO FINISH HELPING ME.
>>
File: smug fat animu.jpg (107 KB, 932x651) Image search: [Google]
smug fat animu.jpg
107 KB, 932x651
>>17351534
>It is molded to the shape of the red object to act as leverage
Don't get it but whatever.

A second elastic works. You can also use a winch to pull it in.
>>
>>17351587
Just google 'what a drag experiment' anon and stop wasting your time here.
>>
>>17351591
Also, you don't even need a second elastic, you can just center the band on black and connect to red&blue from both ends and double your pull.
>>
>>17351590
The red object has a curve that acts like a wall, the blue object is made of clay that is molded to the shape of that wall.

Thank you so much for the help everyone. I will increase the elastic force
>>
File: img_full_46517.gif (7 KB, 163x279) Image search: [Google]
img_full_46517.gif
7 KB, 163x279
>>17351597
Also works
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.