[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
downloading anime in college
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Cover.jpg (279 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
279 KB, 500x500
My college has a flat out ban on torrenting. Would downloading anime through XDCC/IRC still be safe?
>>
Your college is a bitch.
>>
It's called streaming.

If you're paranoid about viruses and have an iPad, it's virtually impossible to get a virus on a website unless you're a dumbass who roots it/clicks ok to downloading every single app.
>>
just go to animefreak and stream or sign up for crunchyroll-it's only like $8
>>
Download it off KissAnime? The quality is pretty decent there.
>>
>>17351083
We know what the fuck you guys do when you're logged in IRC ports and using bandwidth man. If you're not encrypting the data, you're jeopardizing your future for a cartoon, bro.

No, XDCC/Fserves are not safe. Read your handbook man. Only stream legal shit with campus resources.

Source: uni network admin
>>
Looks like i really will have to stream. tha ks for the help anons
>>
>>17351220

What about an encrypted proxy? You can see my crazy bandwidth usage, and you can make a good guess what I'm doing, but do you have any way to prove it (assuming proof is needed for disciplinary action)?
>>
>>17351579
You seem to be missing the keypoint of the inherent dumbfuckery of risking your degree for a cartoon.

How much are you spending on a degree? How much is a legit streaming service?

I mean, shit. If you're figuring it's worth risking thousands of dollars on, then it's at least worth $10 or so a month.
>>
>>17351621

I don't think getting caught pirating results in expulsion, does it?
>>
>>17351659
Not that guy but I got caught pirating 5 times, after the 2nd time they would just suspend my wifi privileges for 3 days
>>
>>17351659
Networkfag here ..

It depends on the university's policy. Some will put your on probation, others will toss you out on your ass.

>>17351579
Again, it depends on the institution, some have very strict policies that will place you on probation for using proxies without consent, for liabilities purposes.
>>
Hi, I used to work on a university IT security team. We also had a ban on torrenting and strictly monitored internet usage in student housing. I can tell you that we would immediately know if someone was blatantly torrenting on our network; though there were ways to disguise it, we could also see who was using more than their fair share of bandwidth.

In my case, we didn't need to prove you were torrenting to ban you from the network. It was a privilege and we were free to revoke it. Your university's policy may differ, but you should do your research.
>>
File: 1463344280998.png (860 KB, 841x720) Image search: [Google]
1463344280998.png
860 KB, 841x720
>>17351214
>>
My university only really revoked Internet if the copyright holders themselves sent a cease and desist. They'd give it to you with copies of the university policy and a sheet explaining your individual ban. In my case, I emailed them pretty much immediately apologizing for causing trouble and saying I deleted the files (i didn't), and they reinstated my Internet early for being polite. Further offenses resulted in longer and eventually permanent loss of internet privileges, and fines. Nothing worse than that though, like expulsion or eviction or anything.

I'd seriously ask someone in the tech department who seems cool. After the letter I pretty much just got into a convo with one of the workers one day and he told me all about how they did and didn't monitor and what to do to be stealthier on their network/torrenting in general, lol.
>>
>>17351220

can you see everything on the external i plugged into the computer on your network? one time i plugged in my external and all of my dick pics ended up in the trash bin
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.