[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what to do...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: japcat.gif (2 MB, 540x603) Image search: [Google]
japcat.gif
2 MB, 540x603
im 19yo, ive never had an interest on studies, despite my lack of motivation ive managed to get average to good grades all my life... im currently studying Economics at a nearby university, i failed accounting and feel like shit, i wanna quit to become a broker(stocks) or a real state agent as those are the things i love, but my mom says i should have a degree because x,y and z...
>>
File: 1453688175653.png (382 KB, 902x709) Image search: [Google]
1453688175653.png
382 KB, 902x709
>>17350803
>my mom says i should have a degree because x,y and z

Talk to a counselor or somebody else that knows their shit and try to find out if your schooling will put you into a large amount of debt before you can get a job, and if the job you are looking for will pay off and is easy enough to get into, and if the degree is really necessary, or if getting the job is more about networking. If you're from a country that pays for your education then maybe none of this will apply to you. But I know a couple of people now that have massive debt from college they couldn't even manage to finish getting the degrees they needed for the jobs they were going for, and are seriously struggling just to pay it off with jobs they could've gotten without school alongside employees that didn't go to college, and they're gonna have a hard time for years to come. I find nearly all baby boomers or basically most people born in or before the 1970s just do not understand what kind of crippling debt college can land someone in nowadays and try to sell college as an easy and necessary life step without knowing what they're talking about. I almost fell into that trap myself listening to my own mom's advice, but left college before I could amass too much debt and payed it off quickly before it could grow. And after I started living on my own I realized that my mom didn't understand fuckall about my personal wants or needs in my career path and I was a naive child for listening to her try to live her life over through me.

If you've got a solid plan you're confident with hammered out with backups in case shit doesn't work out, then consider going for it. But if you're thinking of taking loans and assistance and just diving right without fully understanding, hoping everything will work out for the best, just because this is what someone over 40 told you it's what you're "supposed to do," then sit back and think things over.
>>
>despite my lack of motivation ive managed to get average to good grades all my life
>i failed accounting
ok
> i wanna quit to become a used car salesman
that's you, that's what you want
>>
>>17350872
oh haha, im good at maths, economics, enlgish, spanish, politics... im not kidding, my grades are not an issue, and i already mentioned the problem is that my mom wants me to study something i dont like, i bet you dont even go to college...
>>
>>17350866
yes, my studies are free and yes my mom is well over 40... she is just so manipulative :(
>>
>>17350882
If you're so good at math how did you fail accounting?
>>
>>17350893
She is probably going to die sometime before you do. When she does, do you really think you're going to look back and say "Wow, she sure knew what was best for my own life when I let her make my life choices for me, I'm so glad I followed her wisdom" or do you think you'll say "Welp, now I'm fucked stuck living a life I never even wanted and literally no one cares because the only person I was making happy with it is dead now"?
>>
>>17350896

in my school we got to choose one of two bachelors , I chose science while the other was called letters which taught accounting, so i dont have any background on accounting becouse of that.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.