[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm in the USAF. 3 in so far, 3 years left to go. I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
I'm in the USAF. 3 in so far, 3 years left to go.
I have a depressed girlfriend that I live with. We've been dating for nearly two years.
I don't have a car.
I really love writing and drawing, but I can't seem to find time for it these days (admittedly I'm not using all my time efficiently).

I want to write and draw for a living.
I want to travel in a converted van across the country.
My girlfriend does not want this.

How do I know if this interest is fleeting? How do I know if I'm supposed to be in this relationship? Should I be impractical and start working on my a van with 3 years left or just get a car and live a normal life? What things exist where I can do exercises and collaborate with others on creative projects outside of paying for it like in school?

Pic is my cat aries. I don't know if I could travel with her :/
>>
bump for advice please
>>
Only time will tell if this interest of yours is fleeting.
You may want to write and draw for a living, but have a backup plan. Many young people want to do this, but the odds of finding a job doing that are pretty slim--at least a job that can support a family.
If you want to do the cross country thing--nothing wrong with that. As a matter of fact, it's best to do it while you're still young without major responsibilities.
Only you know about the relationship. Do you get along well otherwise?
Maybe she has a job or commitments that she doesn't want to leave.
>>
>>17349722
Learn to compromise.

E.g. convince girlfirend to do vacations in which you travel in a van across the country. During these vacations write and draw for a hobby. I honeslty doubt you get money that way, unless you are very talented AND lucky.

This if you wanna keep that girlfiend. Otherwise dump her ass and build your van. Still don't draw for a living though, you won't live very long that way.
>>
>>17349722
So you're going to live in a van. Interesting.
>>
doesn't the air force have a really good education system thing? like a community college? i remember an air force recruiter telling me how they would support me more educationally than the army could.
>>
>>17349722
Regardless of whether or not it is fleeting you will likely be wondering 'what if' for a good portion of your life - and if the only reason you aren't doing this is your girlfriend will 'probably' resent her

I'm not saying to break it off and quit the air force by any means, that's just the reality of the situation

>I have traveled, living out of my truck, playing my guitar for money, and did some crazy things

There is always compromise - such as telling your girlfriend this is something you need to do and it is years away - compromise such as getting an RV (not some cramped van) and exploring together, making her part of the adventure

If you are into writing and drawing look into graphic novels, comic books, and other things like those and collaborate with other people on them through meetups, Craigslist, etc...
>>
Thanks everyone for the advice.
The Air Force does have a great education system (for now), I want to live in a van so that I can get down to brass tacks of who I am. Maybe live that way for a year or so. I have a healthy respect for the hardships that come with living on the road but I'm not afraid of them.

I worry about my girlfriend. I love her but she doesn't take risks like this. She's very into stability and risks like this are too variable for her. She's good for me in that sense, but bad for me in that I feel very stifled.

I'm in a position where I have to get a vehicle within the next couple of weeks. Do I get the van and start working renovations in prep of me getting out in 3 years, or do I get the car and just play it safe?
>>
>>17350226
We should trade girlfriends.

I'm boring and stable, and my girlfriend wants to travel and thinks I'll magically have the money to support it if we went on the road together.
>>
>>17350230
Hahaha that does sound like a girlfriend for me. Question though is are these just fantasies or does she want to put in the work?
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.