[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I be ethnic?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: bottles.jpg (74 KB, 612x214) Image search: [Google]
bottles.jpg
74 KB, 612x214
I've been told that, for a Puerto Rican, I'm "too white." I responded that I grew up in New England, among very white people, to which the person responded that I "should have sought out other Puerto Ricans or been closer to [my] family."
So I want to know, am I a failure as a human being for not being more authentically ethnic? Is there a line between authentic and stereotype? If I'd lived in the barrio and listened to a lot of reggaeton could I then be a proud ethnic person or would I have failed for not expanding beyond the stereotype?
>>
Fuck your separatism and identity you cunt. Ethnic shit is brainwashing and ruins the fucking planet.
>>
^ what that guy said
>>
>>17347429

does it matter? do you really care if everyone thinks you aren't ethnic enough? who the fuck says this shit anyways?

at the end of the day all that matters is what you want. and if you want to be who you are now, then tell people 'fuck off' and go live your life
>>
>>17347429
>So I want to know, am I a failure as a human being for not being more authentically ethnic?
It isn't possible to be "authentically ethnic". You can only authentically be yourself, and if that happens to fall in line with the tropes that the cultures of your ancestors approve of, so be it. If not, that happens sometimes too. Attempting to emulate an ethnicity that doesn't come naturally to you, even if you were actually born to it, would make you just as much of a poseur as if you hadn't been born into it.

Or, to put it another way, I don't know who told you you act "too white", but you can safely dismiss this as bullshit. You will probably be told that this is also part of acting "too white", but there's not much that can be done about this.
>>
>>17347460
>who the fuck says this shit anyways?
Mostly other latinos and liberal whites. The latinos have a kind of litmus test of whether you're enough like them to not be regarded as "the enemy" (that is to say, white people) and the liberal whites want to enforce diversity by requiring minorities to fit their idea of what they should be like.
>>
>>17347467

haters gonna hate.

similar issue. im gay, and if i like something like say, pokemon, buffy, orange is the new black, its obviously becomes im a fucking homo. and if i like rugby, bon jovi, or shootin guns, it must be because im compensating for being a homo.

haters gonna hate. just do waht you like and tell people who insist you must do something that they should go fuck themselves.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.