[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
On the board of directors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
Hey /adv/, a while ago I was voted onto a board of a corporation. I'm the youngest on it, early 20's and I feel like I'm in way over my head. Our first impromptu meeting brought everything down on me like a ton of bricks. It is not at all what I thought it was going to be. It's very corporate and serious business, bringing me to a level I've never even thought I'd be on one day.

Anyway, we're meeting soon and I have no idea what to say to these people. I'd feel guilty accepting the travel and hotel room while having nothing to offer but the youth they wanted on the board.

I guess the advice I'm looking for is more experiential. How should I act? Address others? I've never been on a board before and I don't want to be pushed around.
>>
Be professional, but be open, relaxed and fun. If you're charismatic it'll carry you even further.

I think you have what it takes. Makes sure you thank them all individually and express WHY you have gratitude; but joke around a little to those who look like they can handle a lighter side to business.
>>
From what you're saying, I'd say be polite and friendly, keep quiet unless curious or addressed, don't be afraid to look stupid (so long as you're asking questions, not answering them).

They voted you on for a reason. Have faith in yourself, even if you mess up the first time, it's only the first time.

I am a woman tho, so my success might not act like yours, sorry. Apologies for the terrible English too.
>>
>>17346707
>I'd feel guilty accepting the travel and hotel room while having nothing to offer but the youth they wanted on the board.
But that's EXACTLY why they voted you onto the board.l: they wanted your persective. Speak up. Ask questions. Don't automatically assume everything you say is right, but don't be afraid to fight for what you believe in. They literally asked for this. Do it, and you will be doing your job on that board as well as any other member does theirs.
>>
>>17346707

>early 20's

shit they probably don't expect very much from you anyway right off the bat

how the hell do you even get to such a high position so fast they must be breeding you for this shit or something
>>
>>17346717
Thank you for your advice, I think it bodes well with me since I'm on friendly terms with a few members already
>>17346720
I appreciate your input and I'll take it with me into the meeting. You and >>17346725 gave me some much needed confidence.

>>17346732
I would've explained in OP but I was being vague on purpose.
>>
>>17346707

>I've never been on a. Company board before, I need help
>I know, I'll ask a website with a 99% NEET-weeb population

Want some advice? Get off this fucking website and talk to other board members, explain your situation and learn from them

I guarentee everyone there was in your position and will be willing to help
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.