[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need A New Hobby, Suggestions Please
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: pokemongo.jpg (106 KB, 576x1024) Image search: [Google]
pokemongo.jpg
106 KB, 576x1024
I'm burnt out from Pokemon, 4chan, and Smash Bros 4, and I need a way to pass the time. I'm 20 years old, and a full time college student.

What is something else I can do in my spare time? Also please nothing that would involve a lot of other people.

I thought about reading novels, swimming, hiking, and geocaching. Are those sustainable hobbies?
>>
Go to the fucking gym
>>
File: 1424403745548.jpg (81 KB, 800x595) Image search: [Google]
1424403745548.jpg
81 KB, 800x595
>>17345299
Buy an 80s/90s sports car/coupe from craigslist and drive/restore it.
>>
>>17345310
That has people fucking everywhere. Maybe working out at home I guess would be good.

>>17345332
That'd be fun! Though I was looking for more of an everyday kind of hobby
>>
>>17345347
The hobbies you posted in the OP seem fine. I guess a car is a huge undertaking so I'll revamp my ideas.

>Bird-watching is inexpensive, buy some birdseed and a spotters guide.

>Night walks are nice but it depends on where you live.

>Urban Exploration is good but I don't know if you want to be charged with trespassing.

>Buy a low maintenance pet like a betta fish. I've spent 25 dollars on a fish and a bowl and he's still living at four years old.
>>
>>17345299
>Get a motorcycle
>Go exploring
>Meet people at College who ride aswell and go on group rides.
>>
>>17345299
I took up learning mathematics as a hobby, and haven't regretted it one bit. I used to hate it in high school, but now I have a stockholm syndrome sort of thing going on with it. Why not do it?
>>
>>17345628
What kind of mathematics? And where are you learning it?
>>
Get into parkour OP. Once you master yourself(physically and mentally) you can master anything.
>>
>>17345667
Any and all mathematics. I first started with computer-science-y mathematics, which includes things like formal logic and provability, set theory, computational modelling, etc (known as "discrete math".) It is pretty different from the sort of math in high school, which I was really bad at before I re-taught myself (things like algebra, calculus and the like, called "continuous math".)

I just learn by reading text books. For discrete math, "Discrete Mathematics And Its Applications" by Kenneth h. Rosen is a really good book and covers a lot of the different discrete maths pretty well. After getting a knack for the basic logic behind mathematics, I started re-teaching myself basic HS math, using the free textbooks provided by OpenStax (google it), and introduced myself to calculus using the (also free) book "Elementary Calculus: An Infinitesimal Approach".

I understand if you don't have the patience to work through a textbook, though, so this might not be a good hobby unless you really enjoy mathematics.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.