[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Depressed grandfather
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: 1467612662631.gif (315 KB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
1467612662631.gif
315 KB, 500x275
Hi /adv/. I live with my grandfather, gf, and my 6 y/o. My grandfather is extremely depressed and he feels as if his life is purposeless. His body is failing, he's losing his vision, and he can no longer walk without a walker (but he never uses it).

I'm not sure what to do. I'm a poorfag so me and the gf work a lot, and we have very little time to spend with him. He won't share these feelings with anyone but me, and he won't talk to any therapists. I don't know what to do and I'm afraid he'll kill himself.
>>
Make sure his will is written up and you are the beneficiary.
>>
>>17339936
Helped him write it. He owns very little, though
>>
File: 1463881211224.png (267 KB, 480x368) Image search: [Google]
1463881211224.png
267 KB, 480x368
Please give me advice
>>
Honestly there is not much you can do to help someone who does not want to take steps to help themselves. I would encourage him to see a therapist, spend more time outdoors, reconnect with something he loved to do but no longer does.
>>
>>17339943
He can't do any of that without great difficulty. He watches old movies literally the whole day, and rarely leaves his room
>>
File: 1467686736604.jpg (8 KB, 223x200) Image search: [Google]
1467686736604.jpg
8 KB, 223x200
>>17339923
Cherish every moment with him. Do everything in your power to make him feel happy. That's what I started doing since my grandfather was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Thankfully, his went into remission. I hope the best for you guys.
>>
>>17339958
Its really hard for him since he feels like he literally has no reason to live. I don't know how to convince him otherwise. He thinks he's a drain on me, but really I'm happy to spend money on him, but he won't listen.
>>
https://youtu.be/0zjhSlJN-Qw
>>
>>17339923
>my grandfather feels as though he has no reason to live
Give him one
Talk about his life and say how you cherished him. Watch his old movies with him.etc
>>
>>17339970
Just try to spend time with him whenever you can. Getting old sucks, that's just a fact. Old men come in two flavors, grumpy and depressed. Life is done giving to them and is now only taking away and they know it. So just do what you can(it won't help, but you shloud try anyway) and try to accept it when the time comes(you won't, but you will learn to live with it)
>>
>>17339970
Emphasize to him that you're one I'd the reasons you keep on living. My grandfather was part of the reason I didn't commit suicide in high school. He matters that much to me. He cooked for us, washed out clothes, etc. Even with the cancer we made sure to remind him that he's way too valuable to us. Remind him of what he's done for you and your family.
>>
>>17339923
Get him involved in an oral history project. Tell him it's for school/work/project and he's doing you a favor. Interview him and record it, asking about his childhood, family history, first loves, military, whatever.. Make him feel important and you'll learn a lot about your roots.
>>
File: ocelot.jpg (136 KB, 610x354) Image search: [Google]
ocelot.jpg
136 KB, 610x354
Reading this has legit broke my heart. My Grandma is lonely however the kids who actually come and see her or talk to her on the phone Live an hour away. I try to take her out once a month however with work It makes it difficult.

Ask if he wants to go anywhere, Take him out to see stuff. Take him out to new places. Or just talk to him about what time was like in a certian age/time period. That is literally how I found out my Great Grandparents were share croppers and my grandma nearly died when she was a kid.
>>
Honestly, a retirement home might be the best thing here. If that's out of the question, maybe finding some kind of community activity he can be a part of during the time you guys are out would be good. Whatever it is, he needs to socialize.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.